USA
✟494,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I can post the scriptures and you will post that the Sabbatimos is " a keeping of the Sabbath". When in reality, the weekly Sabbath is the word Sabbaton which I have already pointed out. But here goes,

Hebrews 4:9 "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God."

The rest here is not the weekly keeping of the Sabbath again that word is Greek word 4521. This word is Sabbatimos and it's the repose of Christianty. As a type of heaven/rest. It is not the weekly keeping of the Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:10 "For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His."

What rest is the rest we must enter? "his rest" By doing so we cease from our "own" works.

Hebrews 4:11 "Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, least any man fall after the same example of unbelief."

This all had to do with lack of faith and unbelief. Some could not enter in because of those factors. This has nothing to do with the keeping of the weekly Sabbath.

Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

You said we should honour God every day. Can someone worship God every day?

There are two rests being referred to here, not one. The Sabbath rest and God's rest.

Hebrews 4:10 "For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His."

To enter into His rest one must cease from their works as God did from His.

When does God cease from His works? This very passage tells us:

Hebrews 4:4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;

We don't need to add our words to the scriptures.

For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day is a direct reference to Mt Sinai where God spoke of the seventh day in this way Exodus 20:8-11 and God rested on the seventh day which is a reference to the very first Sabbath from Creation Genesis 2:1-3

Hebrews 4:9 "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God."

God people keeps God's Sabbath which is why the Sabbath remains for God's people. Ezekiel 20:12, Ezekiel 20:13

Hebrews 4:9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.

Rest here is sabbatismos which literally means keeping of the Sabbath. So this verse says there remains a keeping of the Sabbath for the people of God.

σαββατισμὸς (sabbatismos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.

I do not see that you have shown through scripture that the seventh day Sabbath commandment is now "today" and the scriptures you posted support keeping the Sabbath and there is no scripture that says we can break a commandment of God or change it. This is what God said about adding or subtracting from His commandments.

Deuteronomy 4:2 You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

God said the seventh day is the Sabbath Exodus 20:10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Today we as Christians, we have the comforter, the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of us. That's our comforter which brings us Sabbatimos, the repose of Christianity. That's not taking away from the holiness of the Sabbath. That's fulfilling it. And that's what Hebrews 4 is about. Entering into that rest. In the beginning of the chapter and even in chapter 3. Some could not enter in after they heard the gospel because it was not mixed with faith- unbelief. God's creating the earth in 6 days and resting after that is the example. When we enter into his rest, we cease from our own works. This isn't talking about physcial labour. We are talking about "his" rest.

Peter states,

I Peter 1:16 "Because it is written, "Be ye holy; for I am holy." "

We can't take away from Christ. He is the Holy one that we put our rest in.

Speaking of work, I'm off to it...

Hebrews 4:6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,

What did they disobey that caused them not to enter into Christs rest?

Ezekiel 20:13 Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, ‘which, if a man does, he shall live by them’; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths. Then I said I would pour out My fury on them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Hebrews 4 is a call to obedience. "Today" if you hear His voice, do not harden your heart" Hebrews 4:7

To enter into the rest in Christ by ceasing our works on the seventh day as God did from His. Hebrews 4:10, Hebrews 4:4

God said Sabbath-keeping is a sign between God and His people and how He sanctifies us, because we cannot sanctify ourselves.

Ezekiel 20:12 Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them.

Ezekiel 20:20 hallow My Sabbaths, and they will be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the Lord your God.’

God said the seventh day is the Sabbath Exodus 20:10 and God did not say the Sabbath is "today" and no scripture says that either.

We need to be holy because God is holy and God only made one day for us holy and for Him in easy to understand scripture.

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy
Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God.
Isaiah 58:13 If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day

God worked six days and rested from all of His works on the seventh day, Genesis 2:1-3 and He commanded us to do the same Exodus 20:8-11 because we are made in His image to follow Him.

We probably won't agree on this and that's okay, I wish you well in seeking His Word!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Colossians 3:17 "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him."

Colossians 3:22 "Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eye service, as men pleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:"

Colossians 3:23 "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;"

Christians are not supposed to leave out God in any equation of their lives, even the workplace.

Again, our rest today is Sabbatimos, not Sabbaton. (the weekly Sabbath)
"Christians are not supposed to leave out God in any equation of their lives, even the workplace."
Amen, I like that :heart:

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟154,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 4:6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,

What did they disobey that caused them not to enter into Christs rest?

Again, the context is that they heard the gospel but faith was not mixed in with some so they could not enter in.

Hebrews 4:3 "For we which have believed do enter into rest, as He said, "As I have sworn in My wrath, if they shall enter into My rest:" although the works were finished from the foundation of the world."

Hebrews 4:6 "Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:"

This goes back to the very beginning of the chapter, where the subject is lack of faith, not keeping the weekly Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:1 "Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into His rest, any of you should seem to come short of it."

Hebrews 4:2 "For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it."

This is what the entire subject is about, faith and unbelief, not keeping the Sabbath. When they first heard the gospel, some believed and some didn't. Those that believed entered into the rest. Again, God resting from his works is the example that when we enter into his rest, we leave our's behind. It's not a commandment that we should be still keeping the weekly Sabbath which again is the word Sabbaton, not Sabbatimos. But I don't think we're going to agree so...

• Agree
Reactions: Cornelius8L
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Again, the context is that they heard the gospel but faith was not mixed in with some so they could not enter in.

Hebrews 4:3 "For we which have believed do enter into rest, as He said, "As I have sworn in My wrath, if they shall enter into My rest:" although the works were finished from the foundation of the world."

Hebrews 4:6 "Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:"

This goes back to the very beginning of the chapter, where the subject is lack of faith, not keeping the weekly Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:1 "Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into His rest, any of you should seem to come short of it."

Hebrews 4:2 "For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it."

This is what the entire subject is about, faith and unbelief, not keeping the Sabbath. When they first heard the gospel, some believed and some didn't. Those that believed entered into the rest. Again, God resting from his works is the example that when we enter into his rest, we leave our's behind. It's not a commandment that we should be still keeping the weekly Sabbath which again is the word Sabbaton, not Sabbatimos. But I don't think we're going to agree so...

Just curious which version are you using to quote Hebrews 4:6?

Those with unbelief and those who disobeyed are used interchangeably, but Hebrews 4:6 is specific to those who disobeyed.

The topic of Hebrews 4 is shown in the first verse Hebrews 4:1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it . It is about those who did not have faith/obeyed will fall short of His rest. Hebrews 4:6 and what they disobeyed to those who it was first preached was the Sabbath Ezekiel 20:13. There is no scripture that says we can break any of the commandments, including the Sabbath commandment, and Hebrews 4 is calling people to be obedient and to not harden our hearts in rebellion (sin) Hebrews 4:7. The Sabbath rest (Exodus 20:8-11 commandment) remains for God’s people. Hebrews 4:9. If this passage was trying to change the Sabbath rest from the seventh day to “today” it would not say the Sabbath rest remains
Instead would say the Sabbath rest is now “today” but this passage does not say that or anywhere in the scriptures and we should not add what is not there. Proverbs 30:5-6

I still don’t see in any of the scriptures you posted that says the Sabbath changed from the seventh day to “today” and we no longer need to keep the Sabbath commandment. God identifies His people as keeping His laws and commandments Hebrews 8:10, Revelation 14:12 and keeping the Sabbath Ezekiel 20:12, Ezekiel 20:20 which God said is on the seventh day. Exodus 20:10, the same day God ceased from His works Hebrews 4:4, Genesis 2:1-3 and we are called to follow His example Hebrews 4:10 and warning to those who follow the same example of disobedience Hebrews 4:11

For your reference here is almost every version of Hebrews 4:6
New International Version
Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience,

New Living Translation
So God’s rest is there for people to enter, but those who first heard this good news failed to enter because they disobeyed God.

English Standard Version
Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,

Berean Standard Bible
Since, then, it remains for some to enter His rest, and since those who formerly heard the good news did not enter because of their disobedience,

Berean Literal Bible
Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those having received the good news formerly did not enter in because of disobedience,

King James Bible
Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

New King James Version
Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,

New American Standard Bible
Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who previously had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience,

NASB 1995
Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience,

NASB 1977
Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience,

Amplified Bible
Therefore, since the promise remains for some to enter His rest, and those who formerly had the good news preached to them failed to [grasp it and did not] enter because of [their unbelief evidenced by] disobedience,

Christian Standard Bible
Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news did not enter because of disobedience,

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news did not enter because of disobedience,

American Standard Version
Seeing therefore it remaineth that some should enter thereinto, and they to whom the good tidings were before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Because, therefore, there has been an opportunity for each person to enter and those who were first evangelized did not enter, in that they were not persuaded,

Contemporary English Version
This means that the promise to enter is still good, because those who first heard about it disobeyed and did not enter.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Seeing then it remaineth that some are to enter into it, and they, to whom it was first preached, did not enter because of unbelief:

Good News Translation
Those who first heard the Good News did not receive that rest, because they did not believe. There are, then, others who are allowed to receive it.

International Standard Version
Therefore, since it is still true that some will enter it, and since those who once heard the good news failed to enter it because of their disobedience,

Literal Standard Version
since then, it remains for some to enter into it, and those who first heard good news did not enter in because of unbelief—

New American Bible
Therefore, since it remains that some will enter into it, and those who formerly received the good news did not enter because of disobedience,

NET Bible
Therefore it remains for some to enter it, yet those to whom it was previously proclaimed did not enter because of disobedience.

New Revised Standard Version
Since therefore it remains open for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,

New Heart English Bible
Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and they to whom the good news was before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience,

Weymouth New Testament
Since, then, it is still true that some will be admitted to that rest, and that because of disobedience those who formerly had Good News proclaimed to them were not admitted,

World English Bible
Seeing therefore it remains that some should enter therein, and they to whom the good news was before preached failed to enter in because of disobedience,

Last edited:
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The chapter of Heb 4 says the Sabbath remains as it was in the time of David in Psalms 95:6-9

Ps 95:
6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
7 For He is our God,
And we are the people of His pasture,
And the sheep of His hand.

Today, if you will hear His voice:
8 “Do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion,
As in the day of trial in the wilderness,​

Heb 4:
4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; 5 and again in this place:They shall not enter My rest.”
6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts.”

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.​

Heb 4 makes the case that the Sabbath rest of Genesis 2:1-3, Ex 20:11 that was very much valid in Psalms 95:6-9 is what "remains" because "God rested" and when we accept the Gospel then we are able "to keep the Sabbath holy" since we are born again and Spirit filled. It therefore remains for some to enter it.

IF the Sabbath were deleted then it could not be in any way a symbol of "what remains" for the people of God. Remains as it was in the time of King David in Ps 95.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Christians are not supposed to leave out God in any equation of their lives, even the workplace."

True which is why we do not choose to dishonor God or His Word... much less "profane" what God has made holy.

Notice how gentiles are singled out for keeping the Sabbath in Is 56:6-8.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well then since you insist that all 637 (or so) commandments in the Law of Moses are still valid in this New Covenant dispensation, how do you obey all the ceremonial laws? All the civil laws? All the dietary laws? Do you obey them all and obey them perfectly? After all, if you love Jesus you would have to, right?

The 1040 commands in the NT are all valid - "as it turns out"

The 640 commands in the OT include some civil laws that only apply under a theocracy as the "Baptist Confession of Faith" sectn 19 points out - and it includes some ceremonial animal-sacrifice laws that end at the cross according to Hebrews 10:4-12

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,660.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True which is why we do not choose to dishonor God or His Word... much less "profane" what God has made holy.

You quoted Is 56:6-8,

Isaiah 56:7 I will bring them to My holy mountain and make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on My altar, for My house will be called a house of prayer for all the nations.”​

I presume you have an explanation for gentile burning offerings and sacrifices in v7. So, I won’t ask. But I’m interested to know how you comprehend “My house will be called a house of prayer,” which Jesus quoted in Matthew 21:13.

Matthew 21:13 And He declared to them, "It is written: 'My house will be called a house of prayer.' But you are making it 'a den of robbers.'"​

Is the physical Temple in Jerusalem the house of God today? If not, how would you use v6 to justify that Sabbath didn’t change? So your understanding is the physical Temple in Jerusalem is the House of God. Right?

• Useful
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟154,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
King James Version. And lack of faith would be in tune with unbelief, not disobedience in this aspect. The gospel was preached to them and they couldn't enter that rest because of that. Those that believed entered in. It doesn't say those that kept the weekly Sabbath entered in. Again, it's about lack of faith.

Context matters -

Beginning of the chapter

This is why we go with the word unbelief.

The gospel was preached, some believed and some didn't have faith so they could not enter in. Are you going to interchange lack of faith with disobedience as well?

Faith goes hand and hand with belief

Faith is Greek word 4103 pistis -persuasion, credence conviction truth, or truthfulness of God, reliance on Christ for salvation constancy in such profession, be extens, the system of religious truth itself. -assurance, belief, believe faith, fidelity.

So again, this is the entire context of all of these verses. Lack of faith and unbelief.

And again the rest that remains is Sabbatimos (repose of Christianity) not the weekly Sabbath which is Sabbaton.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
King James Version. And lack of faith would be in tune with unbelief, not disobedience in this aspect. The gospel was preached to them and they couldn't enter that rest because of that. Those that believed entered in. It doesn't say those that kept the weekly Sabbath entered in. Again, it's about lack of faith.

Context matters -

Beginning of the chapter

This is why we go with the word unbelief.

The gospel was preached, some believed and some didn't have faith so they could not enter in. Are you going to interchange lack of faith with disobedience as well?

Faith goes hand and hand with belief

Faith is Greek word 4103 pistis -persuasion, credence conviction truth, or truthfulness of God, reliance on Christ for salvation constancy in such profession, be extens, the system of religious truth itself. -assurance, belief, believe faith, fidelity.

So again, this is the entire context of all of these verses. Lack of faith and unbelief.

And again the rest that remains is Sabbatimos (repose of Christianity) not the weekly Sabbath which is Sabbaton.

Sabbatismos, which is the word for rest in Hebrews 4:9 translates literally into the keeping of the Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.

σαββατισμὸς (sabbatismos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4520: A keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.

If God was going to "do away" or "change" one of His commandments, it would be as clear as the way He wrote it. Exodus 20:8-11 There is no scripture that says we can break any of the commandments of God. So instead of dealing with that, sadly many try to twist the scriptures to say something it does not.

At first you said the Sabbath was "today" but now saying it is a response to Christianity. A Christian is a follower of Christ and no getting around that Jesus as our example kept the commandments of God John 15:10 and the Sabbath Luke 4:16 as our example to follow. So if you want to go with that definition, it still does not change the Sabbath commandment that it has now ended or is altered any in way and no text that you have provided says otherwise.

It's also kind of hard to make that definition work when Christ said we should pray our flight into the wilderness when His people are being persecuted is not in the winter or on the Sabbath. Matthew 24:20. Or when the disciples preached every Sabbath reasoning with Jews and Gentiles. Acts 18:4 or Mary who rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment Luke 23:56 which is Exodus 20:8-11

We should always follow the biblical definition of scripture especially when it is coming from the very words our Creator and Savior both spoken and written. Exodus 20, Exodus 31:18

The seventh day is the Sabbath Exodus 20:10 this really shouldn't be something that is even debatable. There was never any disagreement in scripture when the Sabbath was, this happened centuries after when man changed God's holy Sabbath day and transferred it from the seventh day to the first, without biblical authority. Daniel warned us this would happen Daniel 7:25, and we are living in the last days and we need to come out of Babylon, our false teachings and worship God in Truth and Spirit John 4:23-24

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's a great passage in Isaiah!
...these I will bring to my holy mountain
and give them joy in my house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
will be accepted on my altar;
for my house will be called
a house of prayer for all nations.
Bible Gateway passage: Isaiah 56 - New International Version

There is a mountain that God considers holy. And Jesus tells the Samaritan woman that neither on the mountain nor in Jerusalem is important when it comes to worship.

And burnt offerings and sacrifices returning, amazing stuff!

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Isaiah 56:7 I will bring them to My holy mountain and make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on My altar, for My house will be called a house of prayer for all the nations.”​

I presume you have an explanation for gentile burning offerings and sacrifices in v7. So, I won’t ask. But I’m interested to know how you comprehend “My house will be called a house of prayer,” which Jesus quoted in Matthew 21:13.

Matthew 21:13 And He declared to them, "It is written: 'My house will be called a house of prayer.' But you are making it 'a den of robbers.'"​

Is the physical Temple in Jerusalem the house of God today? If not, how would you use v6 to justify that Sabbath didn’t change? So your understanding is the physical Temple in Jerusalem is the House of God. Right?
I was thinking the same kind of thing. Jesus cleanses the Temple, but it could hardly be called a house of prayer for all nations at that time. Paul is arrested simply on suspicion of bringing gentiles into it some years later.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

That's a great passage in Isaiah!
...these I will bring to my holy mountain

I am glad you like it. IT shows that even in the OT (not just the NT) the TEN were for gentiles not just Jews.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I presume you have an explanation for gentile burning offerings and sacrifices in v7. So, I won’t ask.

please do ask --

Is 56:
6 “Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord,
To attend to His service and to love the name of the Lord,
To be His servants, every one who keeps the Sabbath so as not to profane it,
And holds firmly to My covenant;
7 Even those I will bring to My holy mountain,
And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be acceptable on My altar;
For My house will be called a house of prayer for all the peoples.”
8 The Lord God, who gathers the dispersed of Israel, declares,
“I will yet gather others to them, to those already gathered.”

The liturgy of worship in the OT included animal sacrifices... since Christ had not yet been crucified.

A lot of Christians today will admit to this Bible fact.

=======================

. But I’m interested to know how you comprehend “My house will be called a house of prayer,” which Jesus quoted in Matthew 21:13.

IN Matt 21 Jesus addresses the bartering and cheating going on the temple court with money changers and those who sold animals for sacrifice at extortion prices - His claim is that Is 56 is making the house of God - a house of prayer for all nations "not just Jews" and they should not be extorting people in the court of the temple because it is a house of prayer... and not just for Jews to pray.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am glad you like it. IT shows that even in the OT (not just the NT) the TEN were for gentiles not just Jews.
Not just the 10, but burnt offerings and sacrifices, too! And in the future, it looks like.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
please do ask --

Is 56:

The liturgy of worship in the OT included animal sacrifices... since Christ had not yet been crucified.

=======================

IN Matt 21 Jesus addresses the bartering and cheating going on the temple court with money changers and those who sold animals for sacrifice at extortion prices - His claim is that Is 56 is making the house of God - a house of prayer for all nations "not just Jews" and they should not be extorting people in the court of the temple because it is a house of prayer... and not just for Jews to pray.
It's a powerful prophecy,
...for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations.
Bible Gateway passage: Isaiah 56 - New International Version

I can't think of any time up to 70 AD when that was true. It sounds like a prophecy yet for the future.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,660.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
please do ask --

Is 56:

=======================

Thanks for answering. Can you help answer the following questions as well?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is 56:

My understanding is that there was a theocracy in the OT where Israel was to be the world-wide evangelistic organization and the liturgy at that time included animal sacrifice in the case of Adam and in the case of Noah and in Jerusalem etc...

But as Jesus said before the cross "your house" is left unto you desolate (Matt 23) which was how things came crashing down on that nation-church theocracy model because "He came to His OWN and His OWN received Him not" John 1:11.

Still - Christ affirmed the pre-cross teaching that God's house is to be a house of prayer for all nations "not just Jews" (And we affirm it still to this very day) - so no wonder we see both Jews and gentiles in the synagogues "Sabbath after Sabbath" in Acts 13, in Acts 17 and in Acts 18:4 "EVERY Sabbath".

As Jesus said "the Sabbath was made for mankind" Mark 2:27.

Adam and Eve have no "temple" to worship in -- in Gen 2:1-3 yet they have the Sabbath made for mankind

Is 66:23 in the New Earth "from SABBATH to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" even though Rev 21 tells us there is no temple there.

Upvote 0