God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a very beloved bible collection (though sometimes it can be a love-hate relationship ;)) with quite a few different versions for different purposes. Some are collectors items, like a gold paged 1846 edition of the OT, a 1906 version printed by a small distributor in England... others are for reading purposes only - my little black thin NASB reference bible. I have a bright orange ultra thin NIV version when I went through my heightened-charismatic stage, a CEV I was given when I first accepted Christ, a little red pocket NT P&P, a KJV, a pink NIV, and of course... my beloved devotional NKJV which I have highlighted, written, coloured, added notes and excerpts fropm books, songs, sermons to, covered and recovered, mended over and over for years. :D

It's not a massively large collection, but it means a lot to me having been a big part of my spiritual journey for many years. I can flick through the pages and see my mind processing the ideas, how I came to believe certain things - how I came to disregard others.

So, tell me about YOUR bible(s). :)

Reactions: Martin^^

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I don't treat them as collectibles or as having sentimental value, but I do have quite a few, mostly for different translations. My two most recent acquisitions are HCSB (a Holman Illustrated Study Bible, which is lovely) and ESV. NIV remains one of my favorite translations for reading, and I still like NASB for study, though not so much for reading.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just got rid of a whole bunch. I can only read one at a time anyway. I kept the first Bible I had after I committed to following Christ which was a worn out paperback NIV that I found in a box at my parents. I also kept the cheap pew Bible that my church uses for the sermons and for any Bible studies I attend at church.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a very beloved bible collection (though sometimes it can be a love-hate relationship ;)) with quite a few different versions for different purposes. Some are collectors items, like a gold paged 1846 edition of the OT, a 1906 version printed by a small distributor in England... others are for reading purposes only - my little black thin NASB reference bible. I have a bright orange ultra thin NIV version when I went through my heightened-charismatic stage, a CEV I was given when I first accepted Christ, a little red pocket NT P&P, a KJV, a pink NIV, and of course... my beloved devotional NKJV which I have highlighted, written, coloured, added notes and excerpts fropm books, songs, sermons to, covered and recovered, mended over and over for years. :D

It's not a massively large collection, but it means a lot to me having been a big part of my spiritual journey for many years. I can flick through the pages and see my mind processing the ideas, how I came to believe certain things - how I came to disregard others.

my very first Bible was from the Seventh Day Adventist Church. still have it.

my next Bible was a NIV version for kids. i kept it for years. my dad gave it to me. so i gave it to my little sister a few years ago so she'd have it.

one bible was a gift from my grandmother who passed away quite a few years ago. then i lent it to my friend who really like it. it is an NKJV. i got it back now but it has been passed a lot.

the rest are just other Bibles here and there. the main one i use now is my NRSV. i'm a stickler withi this version. every other version is junk to me, or for myself. i just like it way too much to care about any other version.

Upvote 0

Martin^^

Feb 11, 2005
Scotland
✟8,860.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
My main one is a TNIV which sits beside my bed. I have a free pdf of the TNIV on my laptop, as well as a paid-for software NIV, which has all sorts of fancy search and bookmarking facilities.
My favourite is my Franklin electronic NIV, which I got from the States via Ebay (new) for half the shop price here. It is an excellent way to spend those spare minutes queueing for pizza, for example - lighter and more discreet than a paper copy.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't have a Bible collection, but I really, really like my Bible. It's one of those electronic gadgets with the Old and New Testament, search, a calculator, a "databank", and other stuff. It's really cool, and it's pocket-sized too.
Ringo

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My NIV bible is signed by former NBA player and Lakers showtime power forward A.C. Green; I went to his basketball camp in middle school and the final day there was a line for anyone who wanted him to sign 2 of your things. I was the only person with a bible and he thought it was pretty cool :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dalej42

Dec 17, 2005
Dallas
✟15,832.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I use my NRSV Oxford Study Bible for most of my serious study. I have a NKJV that I bought at a discount store will occasionally use as bedside reading. I also have a pocket sized NT that I'll take with me for trips or reading at a doctors office or car place while waiting.

I'm thinking of buying a King James for reference. I had one, but don't know what happened to it.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, I have software which has about 60 different translations of the Bible, plus the writings of the Church Fathers, and some of the famous theological treatises — all searchable.

I have regular (paper) Bibles, including the first Bible I received as a kid (45 years ago).

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have two NIVs in my house, one that belongs to me and my twin brother, we got it when we got baptized. I have no need for a collection, give it to someone who needs it.
I was going to add a disclaimer about that...:scratch: but then I realized I don't feel the need to justify having more than one bible for other purposes. Sure, if someone has need of something, give it to them. The purpose of the thread wasn't to show off about collections, I just thought it might be a nice topic for finding common ground with one another, as most Christians do have a bible. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I have the New Jerusalem Bible with the apocrypha...but I always refer to my grandmother's Bible that was given to me when she died. It is called the Open Bible with the words of our Lord in red. I am reading and referring this Bible constantly...with no inquires from Protestants or Catholics as to my references...when I post with scripture. I love this Bible. Plus, I discovered that my grandmother placed a 4 leaf clover in Matthew!!

Upvote 0

tashiseisei

earthbound misfit
Mar 23, 2007
New York, NY
✟7,893.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I use biblegateway.com for most things, because my dyslexia hampers my reading comprehension, and things make more sense to me if I can come at them from more than one angle, and that will let me stack up several translations side by side.

One of my friends recommended The Message and I found I liked it because it's very inclusive, even if it lacks poetry. I have a much-abused NT that I carry around.

The first Bible I was ever given was a Precious Moments Bible. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I use biblegateway.com for most things, because my dyslexia hampers my reading comprehension, and things make more sense to me if I can come at them from more than one angle, and that will let me stack up several translations side by side.

I so appreciate that Gabriel...bless you, but I have to ruminate over old school pages...then I type passages...not much like my sola scriptura friends...but I feel good doing that.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have to admit that when I did my Bible study last year I sat at the computer. The study had lots of quotes to look up--two verses here, two verses there--and the catechism. I'd search the catechism answers on the Knights of Columbus sites and the Bible quotes on the USCCB site.

Then I'd cut and paste them so that they were all in MS Word, in order, and go and read them. It sounds unwieldy, but it was actually much faster.

I just got a new Catholic Bible--the RSV instead of the NAB. My standards were simple--I just wanted some of the passages that the NAB had made pedestrian to be beautiful again--principally, the Beatitudes. The RSV passed the test (BTW, in Pope Benedict's new book, all his quotes are from the RSV.)

I have the Serendipity New Testament--a study Bible. It's kind of weird--it's an NIV translation but it says "for Catholics...." My friend has an entire Serendipity Catholic Bible (now out of print....) It's worth $300 on Ebay.

If the Catholic Church doesn't have something like a Serendipity Study Bible, it should....three kinds of questions for passages--surface, deep, and deepest.

I really love that Bible.

Upvote 0

Moana

Dec 4, 2006
✟9,220.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One of my bibles is autographed by jesus! (Just kidding!)

I have an old KJV from my Dad of all people (he HATES anything to do with Christianity) He even signed the inside of it.

My study bible is a red NIV donated to me by a presbaterian chruch (I can't spell that). It has black marks over the anti gay lies.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a lot of Bibles. My favorite The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible published by Harper SanFrancisco and yes, the publisher's name is spelled with no space between San and Francisco. It is a big hard cover Bible with lots of study notes, character profiles, and book introductions. I like it a lot.

I also have a KJV, NKJV, Joseph Smith Translation (altered KJV), NIV, NASB, NAB, and some others. Some of the others I have are on E-Sword. I have been looking into buying some expensive Bible software with even more Bible versions on it but as of yet I cannot come nowhere near to affording it.

Upvote 0