Televangelist Pat Robertson: If your wife develops Alzheimer's, "divorce her and...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,773,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sep 15, 2011
✟15,527.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wow... sad thing is, people are going to believe it becuase its what they want to hear.

Its a case of "Give the people what they want".

most people aren't as dumb as all that

the ones who are... uh... i guess there's nothing we can do about them.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No, ppl who are educated and smart will believe it becuase they want a way out and still be a good Christian at the end of the day... they have them out there more than one thinks... think about it. How its spun... she's not the women he married- that woman already died... what's left is this shell of a woman who is dying and the women you married is already dead... so its till death due us part.

Its like the nut ball catholic blog I read who said its a sin for a catholic to NOT take ABC when her husband abuses her or she is having pre martial sex.

Being open to life only pertains to those who have correct moral sex.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,773,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, ppl who are educated and smart will believe it becuase they want a way out and still be a good Christian at the end of the day... they have them out there more than one thinks... think about it. How its spun... she's not the women he married- that woman already died... what's left is this shell of a woman who is dying and the women you married is already dead... so its till death due us part.

Its like the nut ball catholic blog I read who said its a sin for a catholic to NOT take ABC when her husband abuses her or she is having pre martial sex.

Being open to life only pertains to those who have correct moral sex.
Christianity is a big tent.

Only God can seperate the wheat from the chaff. Until then, we're just going to have to rub elbows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Gee, how kind of him. <Heavy sarcasm>

If I were his wife (thank you God I ain't), I would immediately start divorce proceedings and take at least half of his total worth, put whatever away in case I do get Al's or some such, and then enjoy my life without mr. don't give a dammmmm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟816,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
What an awful, selfish thing to say. :(

Exactly! I stood by my husband to the very end and he was sick for 5 years. I can't imagine divorcing him at his time of need. Why get married if that's your philosophy?

Upvote 0

Vermax

Aug 24, 2011
✟15,224.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Exactly! I stood by my husband to the very end and he was sick for 5 years. I can't imagine divorcing him at his time of need. Why get married if that's your philosophy?

As Christ stands by us, we should stand by our mates. Things that happen in our lives are not easy and we are enriched when we deal with them. My cousin is going through this very thing right now, and her husband and her children are standing by her faithfully.

Upvote 0

ranpleasant

Catholic
Jun 16, 2011
Dallas
✟15,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Amen, Chrystal, Amen!

My non-Catholic wife and I were divorced for five years before getting remarried. I always respected the legal side of the divorce. But in my heart and soul I knew I was still married to my wife because my marriage vows were made not only to her but also to God and only the real death of either my wife or myself can release me from those vows. Certainly no Protestant TV preacher can release me from my vows! I never let a day pass in those years in which my wife did not have a husband willing to do all he could for her and the kids. During those five years there were no girlfriends, no partying, and no personal vacations. I ate a lot of crow in those five years and crawled through mud most men wouldn't think of stepping in. But my soul and my family are worth it. There are many failures in my life which Christ will hold me accountable for, but breaking my marriage vows is not one of them.

Some of my friends joked with me that I must have drank all of the Catholic kool-aid. I told them Yes, every Sunday!

Ran

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟816,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
As Christ stands by us, we should stand by our mates. Things that happen in our lives are not easy and we are enriched when we deal with them. My cousin is going through this very thing right now, and her husband and her children are standing by her faithfully.

My faith definitely grew during my husband's illness (he didn't have Alzheimer's, but another long term illness). That's when I started going to church multiple times a week and I joined a church close to my house. (Which turned out to be a traditional church that taught me so much about the Catholic faith.) I would of never learned all of that if I had not turned to God at my time of need. So, my life was enriched beyond all I could of imagined. If I had bailed on my marriage instead of turning to the Lord, I would be carrying around that guilt (or wallowing in selfish love of my own wants and headed for a bad end).
ranpleasant--glad to hear things worked out for you. I found that my faith grew the most when I was alone in this stress. In my case, I mainly had to take care of my husband alone. Although, he was in the hospital a lot and I could of chosen to party when he was there or gotten a boyfriend. But, I knew in the back of my mind, that that would only make things worse in the long run.

Upvote 0