Teleios and scripture on Jesus' face and second coming? Greek Scholars?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
From scripture there are verses about Jesus ' second coming. 1 Thessalonians 2:8, 2 Corinthians 3-4 regarding, face, Spirit, glory, light. Matthew 24:27. 1 Corinthians 13:10 and impersonal forms of God, the living water, the River of Life the Tree of Life. As I look through this I see some of the words are neuter, some feminine, some masculine. What is the nature of Greek grammar here? Any Greek scholars? Looking at the word Teleios as well?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a Greek scholar, just a Greek beginner-level student, but Greek is a gendered language much in the way that French and German are. Nouns in general have gender, even if they don't refer to biological organisms, so the words for things like rock and book have gender. (English is different, having grammatical gender only in a couple of pronouns and in a few words like "lioness". Even there, English articles and adjectives don't change to match the nouns: "the lion" and "the lioness" use the same article.)

I don't know if this is what you're asking about, but I wouldn't infer anything about the gender of God from looking at the grammatical gender of the words for water, life, tree, etc. Grammatical gender is mostly about which word endings the noun takes when it's used in a sentence. The same word might well have different grammatical genders in different languages.

Is that what you're asking about, or do you have something else in mind?

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟252,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I'm not a Greek scholar, just a Greek beginner-level student, but Greek is a gendered language much in the way that French and German are. Nouns in general have gender, even if they don't refer to biological organisms, so the words for things like rock and book have gender. (English is different, having grammatical gender only in a couple of pronouns and in a few words like "lioness". Even there, English articles and adjectives don't change to match the nouns: "the lion" and "the lioness" use the same article.)

I don't know if this is what you're asking about, but I wouldn't infer anything about the gender of God from looking at the grammatical gender of the words for water, life, tree, etc. Grammatical gender is mostly about which word endings the noun takes when it's used in a sentence. The same word might well have different grammatical genders in different languages.

Is that what you're asking about, or do you have something else in mind?
Yes, Teleios and can Teleios refer to God, Jesus, his presence, power or revelation? Forms of God such as when Christ returns and reveals Himself to the whole world?

Upvote 0