Teaching about Homosexuality in Schools (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
So long as we agree that homosexuality is disordered and goes against the natural law.

:)

We know because Jesus told us so... :p

Jesus said no such thing. And you know full well lots of us do not believe homosexuality is disordered, and it certainly doesn't go against natural law, since it is found in nature.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So long as we agree that homosexuality is disordered and goes against the natural law.

:)

We know because Jesus told us so... :p

You seem to have mistaken the Lord and Savior who hung in agony on the Cross for the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the product of a number of celibate men cloistered in Rome. And even then, you are failing to obey your own bishops' instructions to extend compassion and dignity to persons with same-sex attractions. Or so it appears from your posts; I should not judge your inner self, but only what you present in your posts.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Polycarp1,
You seem to have mistaken the Lord and Savior who hung in agony on the Cross for the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the product of a number of celibate men cloistered in Rome. And even then, you are failing to obey your own bishops' instructions to extend compassion and dignity to persons with same-sex attractions. Or so it appears from your posts; I should not judge your inner self, but only what you present in your posts.
One cannot extend compassion to someone by turning a blind eye to sin that inhibits the Kingdom of God. Quite the opposite. Jack the Catholic's remarks are of course in line with his Roman Catholiic church's position on homosexuality, though yours arent with Lambeth 1.10 and the Anglican Communion's position.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Polycarp1,
One cannot extend compassion to someone by turning a blind eye to sin that inhibits the Kingdom of God. Quite the opposite. Jack the Catholic's remarks are of course in line with his Roman Catholiic church's position on homosexuality, though yours arent with Lambeth 1.10 and the Anglican Communion's position. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Never mind ... after prayer, I find there is nothing I can say in response to you that is (a) charitable, (b) in keeping with CF rules, and (c) in keeping with my promises to God as a Christian man.

May the merciful Lord deal with you more kindly than you with others.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jesus said no such thing. And you know full well lots of us do not believe homosexuality is disordered,

Emotionalism.

. . . and it certainly doesn't go against natural law, since it is found in nature.

Aberrant behavior seen in animal populations on rare occasions. It's never "normal" behavior (within mammals at least) based on biology, physiology and anatomy.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What proof do you have that homosexuality is definitely a sin, though? Just because some translations of the Bible say that it's a sin doesn't mean it definitely is a sin. After all, the people who translated the Bible were completely capable of making mistakes, so who's to say they didn't make a mistake by adding the word "homosexual" (which wasn't even in the original Greek scriptures) into the Bible?

All you need to do to support your celebration of same gender sex acts between willing participants as a Christian reality, is produce just one piece of scripture showing a same gender sexually active couple being celebrated, supported and encouraged by the masses anywhere in the Bible.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You seem to have mistaken the Lord and Savior who hung in agony on the Cross for the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the product of a number of celibate men cloistered in Rome.

Before Jesus went to the Cross, He taught that marriage was a man and a woman. He gave no indication at all or ever, that same gender couples could be in a marriage configuration. Consistent of course, with the testimony of the entire Biblical witness and testimony.

But that wouldn't be all that accepted a subject to be taught in biology class. Except of course in a Christian school.

And even then, you are failing to obey your own bishops' instructions to extend compassion and dignity to persons with same-sex attractions.

Compassion and dignity? When it encourages sin and sinning? In Christian truth??? THAT needs to be explained as HOW it could be compassion and dignity offered to a sinner to stay a sinner with help and celebration of their choice sins. You do realize that Jesus said that encouraging a sinner in their sins is a worse sin than just the sinner engaging in some self-indulgent sin right?

Or so it appears from your posts; I should not judge your inner self, but only what you present in your posts.

Judging someone is OK you know? You just have to be accepting of being judged the same way you judge someone else. Take my perspective for instence, I am judging the person that calls themself a Christian and yet, celebrates and encourages a sinner to sin. Just as Jesus taught it.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So basically, you think the Bible was definitely translated correctly, even though the translators were just as sinful and fallible as anyone else on Earth is,

Read Psalm 51 and get back to me. I do not judge the translators as you do. With your perspective, no one on earth should ever make a decision ever.

. . . and they could have easily made a mistake by translating "arsenokoitai" and "malakoi" as "homosexual"?

No chance. History is on their side.

Also, what makes you think that the Bible is completely accurate in terms of being God's words?

The world.

The men who wrote it could have easily added their own words, thoughts, and opinions into it, and they could have also made errors in writing down God's words.

If the queen had a beard, she'd be King.

Stop acting as though a book (such as the Bible) is capable of being infallible at all.

It's pretty good at sticking to a theme. Stop acting as if it isn't well understood and can be re-written every time a new fad comes along.

After all, sinful, fallible humans write books, which means the books themselves can't possibly be infallible.

How far is the east from the west?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So do you think that gluttons, alcoholics, and adulterers shouldn't be treated with compassion and dignity?

Um, to compare your offerings to homosexuality . . . the answer would be: Do you think giving the obese saturated fatty foods is compassion and dignity? The drunks Everclear and 151 chasers at every meal, or just before they drive? And should we tell broken hearted spouses that they are really ignorant and hateful cheater-a-phobes for feeling betrayed by their spouse?

Do you think they should be made to feel as though their gluttony, alcoholism, or adultery are horrible and that, in turn, they themselves are horrible?

So truth isn't a good thing? Reference my above response? It saves lives and psyches.

If not, then why do you think that gays should be treated that way?

This pre-atheism 101 exercise is rather tedious.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Huh? What does realizing that all humans are fallible have to do with decision-making?

You must still be in school. But seriously, I don't need to know.

And your proof is where, exactly?

How does that count as proof?

The typical:

"Where's your proof?"

And when shown?

"Where's your evidence?"

Someone has to be teaching you guys this tactic/technique.

Huh? What does that have to do with what I asked you?

I require my adversaries have to think.

Just because it sticks to a theme doesn't mean it's infallible.

Just because you think it's fallible doesn't mean it's fallible. Ever thiought of that? You're in a very long skeptic line.

Also, can I assume that you disapprove of the Conservative Bible Project?

Just wait. Interacting with me and you will not have to assume how I feel on several things. Especially debating atheists.

Quoting Casting Crowns songs doesn't count as an answer.

Pslam 130 sir.

I want you to think about what I asked you and answer my questions in your own words, not in the words of some horribly untalented Christian pop band.

Another opinion I can put in the round file. If you think Mark Hall and Casting Crowns are untalented artists, that's your choice to spout. I'm sure the millions of people that sing along with the songs they've purchased won't listen to your critical call. And of course another statment that shows your neophyte skeptic-wings aren't quite showing the glide path of the true acidic offerings of the entertaining though one-trick pony of the so-called freethinker set.

I have no doubt though, since you went for the bash with C-Crowns so quickly, you will learn your craft. Sooner or later.

It is a free country after all. And hey, most atheists are wonderful people. Especially when they try to out-Christian the Christians with high moral character.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But how would you prevent gluttons, alcoholics, and adulterers from getting ahold of those things?

Certainly not by celebrating with them what they do.

Do you have any actual proof to support your claim that your religious beliefs are "the truth"? (And your say-so doesn't count as proof, nor does a random Bible verse.)

Ever word in my NASB is spelled correctly. All the verses.

Just answer the question instead of being so snarky.

www.biologos.org
www.equip.org
www.tektonics.org
www.peterkreeft.com

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In other words, you're unable to actually answer my questions, and instead, you resorted to ad hominem attacks, such as questioning my age (as though that matters at all in this debate), making fun of my atheistic beliefs, and implying that I lack the intelligence required to think things through.

Get back to me when you're ready to debate like an adult (which means no ad hominem attacks and backing up every claim that you make with valid proof, and that proof should be in a form other than your own say-so).

judithAPC034__alt_icons.gif
natives__alt_icons.jpg
judithAPC060__alt_icons.gif

Like these insults are not directed straight at the Christians on this Christian website. Or are they "making fun of" our beliefs?

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How are any of those graphics insulting at all? They're just an expression of what I believe, specifically in regards to organized religion.

natives__alt_icons.jpg

Ohhhhhkay.

Your compalints of being slighted are interesting to say the least. My expressions in my replies to you are an expression of how I feel about atheism and many of its proponents. Maybe I'll use some posters to say it. Save me some typing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So you'd rather make people feel horrible about themselves than make them feel good about themselves?

Yes. People who are horrible and do horrible things should be told they are horrible.

That is what you seem to be saying, since you seem to think it's wrong to tell homosexuals they're fine the way they are (which is a way to make them feel good about themselves), and instead you seem to think that homosexuals should be told that they're bad, sinful, and dirty simply because they're attracted to the same gender (which is a way to make them feel bad about themselves).

Not really. An alcoholic that does not get drunk is not doing anything bad. There is no adultery TO a wife, if the husband keeps his thoughts to himself, and certainly if he doesn't act on those thoghts.

I like this spin tactic you pro-gay people have come up with about the whole "gay thoughts" deal. It's cunningly crafty.

Tell me, do you even know anything about how much it can hurt to be told that you're a bad person over and over again?

natives__alt_icons.jpg

Gee, let me take a guess?

Or do you not care about how much something hurts someone else, as long as you yourself are following the Bible as literally as possible?

I am not going out of my way to even interact with someone that has homosexual thoughts. Actually, it is none of my business. Don't tell and I won't ask.

What if a homosexual killed him/herself because he/she felt like she was disgusting, evil, and unworthy of being alive?

I would blame that on the gay community or the individual. You atheists bash we Christians continually, day in and day out. I do not find it worth my life to contemplate your opinions.

Would you even care at all about that, or would you just be glad that his/her homosexuality wasn't being celebrated?

I care. And I don't care about celebrating homosexuality. I wish this would all just go away. Or at least back to where it came from.

How do you know that for sure, though?

They have really good proof readers and editors.

That does not count as answering my questions. Nice try, though.

Oh it does. It would just require you do the work to study like we Christians do.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Why else do you think we are reacting to homophobia? It's horrible.

And you should. Irrational fear of homosexuality is a horrible thing. Now, a rational and reasoned reaction to not support and celebrate homosexuality is a healthy Christian position.

Thanks for weighing in Art. Though I expected a bit more firepower coming my way.

Upvote 0

onemorequestion

Jun 27, 2010
✟1,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What exactly are homosexuals doing that is so horrible? And why tell anyone that they're horrible, when all that is, is just verbal abuse? Or do you think that verbal abuse is a good thing?

I guess it's verbal abuse to you. To we Christians that hold to the history of evangelism we don't consider the Gospel hate speech. This reminds me of how the Romans thought of the early Christians. Goose bump time.

What exactly are monogamous gay couples doing that's so bad, and why do you think that they should be verbally abused for simply living their life as they please?

Your opinion on verbal abuse not mine. Just like the DSM IV, I don't cater to your belief system.

Care to actually explain how any of those graphics are insulting at all?

They're Christian bashing and you know it. Care for some honesty and just admit it? What you think they proclaim tolerance and diversity? They are just propaganda you picked up at infidels.org or some similar Christian bashing site.

What if you work at the next cubicle over from someone (let's call him Bob), and you hear Bob talking to a co-worker casually about what he (meaning Bob) and his partner, Dave, did last night. Do you think that bit of overheard conversation is grounds for you to verbally abuse Bob about his homosexuality?

What if 17 is really purple?

Or what if you ask Bob what he did last night, and he admits that he went out with Dave for a romantic night on the town. Bob doesn't know that you're anti-gay, and therefore, he didn't know about your whole "don't ask, don't tell" rule. Do you think that that is grounds for you to verbally abuse Bob, simply because he happened to admit that he's gay?

You keep wanting to charge me with a hate crime and yet, I don't even want to say a word to Bob.

You seriously think you're not at fault for making a person feel bad about themselves, when you're the one who says that anti-gay verbal abuse (which is the reason they feel bad about themselves) is a good thing?

I am not at fault. That's official.

Just because you're uncomfortable with homosexuality doesn't mean that homosexuals should have to cater to that discomfort by hiding their sexuality. I mean, I think that childbirth is disgusting, yet I don't expect women to stop getting pregnant as a result of that.

I think 17 is purple. No I lied. I don't.

No matter how good a proof reader or editor is, they're still capable of making mistakes. My point still stands.

Your point stands at infidels.org.

Tell me, have you ever done any studying on the original Greek scriptures that comprise the Bible? If not, then what makes you think that you're knowledged at all about the Bible?

Oh not that tactic. :doh:

Please produce for me any Koine Greek scripture that distinctly expresses a celebration of homose no wait, any same gender sexual behavior: arsenokoitai . . . that is openly supported by the Apostles?

Professor?:cool:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.