Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
[
Mod Hat On

Thread reopened and cleaned due to flaming/goading so if your post is gone you either flamed/goaded someone or quoted someone that did. I will remind everyone that if you disagree with someone address their post not them personally.

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,190.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
All the teacher is saying in a round about way is, let's be more inclusive to our approach to the study of literature.

A good idea, indeed. And while we are at it, let us also teach kids about literature and art forms from every corner of the world, not just from Europe.

Yes, but she mentioned white, so she may be a racist....according to some.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/14/teacher-i-dont-teach-shakespeare-because-hes-white/

... Dusbiber says that minority students, like those who dominate her own classroom, deserve to study their own cultures rather than being exposed to “Eurocentrism.” But at the same time, she takes the exact opposite position for whites, saying school should be a place for them to explore cultures other than their own.
Oh yay. Another person who is upset about being white and so paints whitey as evil. Gee there's something new.
I've heard from some tumblr SJWs that Shakespeare might have actually been black.

Huh? Huh? Something to think about..
Not really. Just accept that, duh, of course he was. So was Jesus and Santa Claus and Homer Simpson and hey heap on anything else who helps promote the militant race card nazi agenda. It doesn't matter if it makes any sense.

LOL

The 21st century will go down as a comedy of the absurd. Assuming we last much past it, that is.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I was in high school we also covered some translated Russian and French works. So you're right about that. One funny thing from the article: the teacher claimed that 'plenty' of students are immersed in the literary traditions of Africa. That's pretty hilarious, because I doubt one in a hundred could even name a language spoken in Africa, much less read in it.
Before anyone else says it...Swahili! I believe they had a nice university in Timbuktu once...and then the white man destroyed it or something. Idk. Regardless, I don't think there were any Shakespeares from there whose work was passed down and translated into English.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In his autobiography he goes into a little bit more of the sociological setting and the psychology operating--from his perspective at least--amongst and between the pimps and prostitutes. It's not what most Americans expect. A mere heavy hand and snatching women off the streets. No more than drug dealers literally snatch people off the street and force them into becoming drug addicts. Or no more than cops snatch men off the streets and force them to commit felony crimes and become career criminals.

But yes, there is a violent side to pimping. Much of the threats and violence comes from a woman most pimps put in charge of keeping the rest of the women in "line." At any rate, it comes from the pimps too. Some more violent than others. Iceberg was not known as a "gorilla pimp," so, he was not using a heavy hand most of the time. By in large he used the "gift of gab."

Perhaps the best way of trying to grasps this--and what he was communicating in his writings (partly)--is an analogy of a "lipstick lesbian" that is not into men or even "soft" women but likes "butch women." Butch women do not snatch hetero women off of the street, choke them tell their eyes pop out, and make them become lesbians. Rather, the "lipstick lesbians" sitting in a bar are open to butch women making advances on them and persuading them to follow them.

Some of this psychology is as true to the complex human experience as anything William Shakespeare wrote. In fact, it is probably to honest for most grown Americans to handle.

But there are some lessons that can be taken away even from Iceberg Slim's autobiography. For one, under the advise of a Chicago pimp mentoring him, he gets a rebellious prostitute hooked on heroin. When she passes out he hangs out a window. Then he awakens her, and he goes into thespian role pretending to have saved her as she about to kill herself. The once rebellious prostitute, now hooked on heroin, overcome by gratitude and sense of needing him to protect and saver her from herself, becomes a loyal and obedient prostitute.

Now, tell me there isn't anything "Shakespearean" in that?

Even a young woman enamored by the smooth mouths of street hustlers and street pimps can learn a valuable lesson from that. Lest they seek out and cling to these types of men too hard.
Yeah, listen here's the problem with a story about a black pimp...not everyone grew up in a ghetto and had to be a prostitute.

I'm sure there is some value in this for some people, particularly for those who can relate to it. You're right, the human experience is multi-faceted and sometimes full of uncomfortable things. I personally would not like all books to have lots of stuff like naked lunch, but maybe some people would like that to be a full-blown category.

But if I were to read this book, assuming that I would be able to tolerate it and not get offended/bored/disturbed by it, I think I'd just feel sorry for this pimp and his hookers. I'd feel bad that they were stuck in that life and were forced into depraved, sinful acts just to survive. And if the author or characters tried to justify their lifestyle, it would just be like an inmate serving time for life trying to talk about how wonderful his prison cell is--he doesn't mean it, he just says it because he's been forced into accepting his fate. I would want to try and get these people jobs and get them off the streets and tell them that they don't have to resign to this identity of being a black, promiscuous person. And yes, as offensive as it might be, I would try and talk about how my faith has given me hope and a new identity, and that I don't have to embrace a lifestyle that I really don't want.

Like karate cowboy said, I wouldn't relate since this guy, unlike Shakespeare, can only write one type of narrative and story, namely his own, while Shakespeare can write comedies, tragedies, etc. ok, yeah, they're old, but old doesn't mean bad.

I think this thing with iced lettuce or whatever is personal, isn't it? You relate on a personal level, which I totally respect and understand since a lot of the stuff I like is relatable to me on a personal level with my own life experiences. I've seen your posts, I know that you're black and...have had some sexual experiences. So of course this iced lettuce guy would resonate with you. But he's not timeless or universal, because not everyone is a black prostitute or a black pimp.

In fact, the fact that you think the most beautiful scene consists of some criminal forcing a prostitute to get addicted to drugs and then forcing her deeper into sexual slavery is this beautiful representation of gritty life is disturbing to me. Just because something is gritty doesn't make it beautiful or have educational value, even if it is "realistic". If I was a black person living in one of these inner cities and had daughters who could become potential victims, I would warn them of this sort of thing, but I'm not and am fortunate to never have to face this experience.

Maybe there is some like a Shakespearean tragedy, in that life sure does suck, but that doesn't mean that every work has the level of depth Shakespeare does. In fact, I've seen works of fiction with massive plots,loads of characters and story, and...it's little more than mindless entertainment and a jumbled smorgasbord of video game cliches, misguided secular views of sexuality, wackiness occassionally interspersed with emotional moments. It's not Shakespeare, and while it might one day be regarded as great example of storytelling of the 21st century, it will never have the timeless appeal of Shakespeare, or the wisdom of the Bible, or anything else. At best it will capture the feelings of an era and be remembered fondly by it's fandom. But little else. I'm confident it will outlast iceberg slim, though--got his name right this time!:p

My point is, great works should be appreciated for being relatable to people of all walks of life, not just one group. I think that's why people sometimes resent African literature or whatever--the narrative is unfamiliar to them, and to me as well. While I think certain works from minorities should definitely be singled out, not every story from the south side of wherever should be praised as a modern-day Iliad.

Reactions: Mrs_RC
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The reason that Shakespeare is still so continually read is because he understands the human. In any number of his plays he shows jealosy, love, unrequited love, passion, regret, death, murder, comedy; I could go on.

Whilst dramatic, Shakespeare shows us the everyday humanity of our ways. We get to understand our jealousy through Othello and our dithering through Hamlet.

In Romeo and Juliet he shows us the stupidity of war. And in Henry V he shows us bravery in the face of stupidity.

What more can we ask for?

It would be nice if the 'comedies' were actually funny. : )

History, fine. Tragedy, fine. Comedy ... really? Slightly fewer people die, and that is supposed to make it funny?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Before anyone else says it...Swahili! I believe they had a nice university in Timbuktu once...and then the white man destroyed it or something. Idk. Regardless, I don't think there were any Shakespeares from there whose work was passed down and translated into English.

St Augustine of Hippo lived in North Africa, and wrote several books which have indeed been passed down and translated into English. Granted they are theological and autobiographical rather than plays, but they exist.

Ptolomy of Alexandria also comes to mind. His works were influential for hundreds of years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apropo:
Despite holding an English degree and describing herself as voracious reader, Dusbiber’s desire to purge the dusty old Bard from her classroom is partly based on her own difficulties reading him. She confesses that she has a “personal disinterest in reading stories written in an early form of the English language that I cannot always easily navigate.”
Maybe she needs to spend a few months or years with Chaucer ......

As far as that goes - if the kids speak English, then they should study one of the most influential English writers of all time; whose works influenced the language in a variet of ways.

Reactions: KarateCowboy
Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
St Augustine of Hippo lived in North Africa, and wrote several books which have indeed been passed down and translated into English. Granted they are theological and autobiographical rather than plays, but they exist.

Ptolomy of Alexandria also comes to mind. His works were influential for hundreds of years.

There has always been a myth which taught that Western civilization began in Greece and that whites are the founders of all manner of world advancement. But Greek historian Herodotus wrote in his "Histories" that Hellenics learned civilization in Egypt. Indeed, Egyptians and Chinese created advancements in every manner well before the Greeks.

Upvote 0

bhayes

Jesus is Lord.
Dec 13, 2012
Canada
✟43,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There has always been a myth which taught that Western civilization began in Greece and that whites are the founders of all manner of world advancement. But Greek historian Herodotus wrote in his "Histories" that Hellenics learned civilization in Egypt. Indeed, Egyptians and Chinese created advancements in every manner well before the Greeks.

as well as Ethiopia which had kingdoms dating past the time of King Solomon, also referred to by Herodotus.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I have never in my life heard that 'whites are the founders of all manner of world advancement'. Where does that come from?

But I am not sure it matters whose civilisation was first; the point is that empires rise and then fall again; the wheel of fortune constantly turns; one moment a person, country or empire is dominant, then next it falls.

Anyone can draw an arbitrary line and then count civilisation as beginning from there, but it is always possible for someone else to draw another line, further back and find an earlier point of reference. It is not a matter of black versus white; the Greeks were not 'white', they were Greek. The Egyptians were not 'black', they were Egyptian; surely it is a matter of being proud of human achievements, whoever made them, and accepting that we are all one species, not two or more. We are all part of every civilisation; we are all part of humanity. White people do not have a monopoly either on world advancement or racial oppression; we are all capable of both and we all have to learn tolerance and respect; all of us. Given our cultures it may involve a significant amount of unlearning intolerance and anger. We have to learn respect, and then relearn it until it is part of who we are.

Martin Luther King did not speak just for black people; he spoke for every single one of us. The same applies to Ghandi, and to Desmond Tutu, and to every other great humanitarian. We are part of one family; we are all human, and all deserve the same respect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have never in my life heard that 'whites are the founders of all manner of world advancement'. Where does that come from?
Probably some white supremecist group.

Besides - aren't Egyptians white anyway? They are certainly not black or oriental.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Probably some white supremecist group.

Besides - aren't Egyptians white anyway? They are certainly not black or oriental.

No, most Egyptians are not white.

White is a meaningless construct in relation to pretty well any modern nationality; in relation to Egypt if you mean Anglo Saxon then it does not apply. If you mean Celtic or Norse or Slavic or Hellenic or Roman it does not apply. All of these might be regarded as predominantly white, but they are in fact very different. White is not just one kind of people, and neither is Black. A Ghanaian is not the same as a Ugandan; a Nigerian will differ from a Sudanese.

People do not divide into simple groupings.

Reactions: bhayes
Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He reminds me of someone I used to know, someone who turned out to be a sociopath. I've mentioned him in a few of my posts. I was "obedient" to him until I figured out that he was a slick hustler. My drug was sex, and he knew how to work that angle in trying to control me. I thought I "needed" him, too, until I found out I am stronger without his presence in my life.

I may have to track down some of his work. There just might be parts of it, from the womens' POV, that I can actually relate to.

But there are some lessons that can be taken away even from Iceberg Slim's autobiography. For one, under the advise of a Chicago pimp mentoring him, he gets a rebellious prostitute hooked on heroin. When she passes out he hangs out a window. Then he awakens her, and he goes into thespian role pretending to have saved her as she about to kill herself. The once rebellious prostitute, now hooked on heroin, overcome by gratitude and sense of needing him to protect and saver her from herself, becomes a loyal and obedient prostitute.

Now, tell me there isn't anything "Shakespearean" in that?

Even a young woman enamored by the smooth mouths of street hustlers and street pimps can learn a valuable lesson from that. Lest they seek out and cling to these types of men too hard.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
White is not just one kind of people
To me "white" means anyone who is NOT Sub-Saharan (black) African, Asian, Native American or Native Australian (and genetics suggest Native Australians may be white/caucasian as well)
neither is Black. A Ghanaian is not the same as a Ugandan; a Nigerian will differ from a Sudanese.
True. But those are various nationalities (ethnos) within the "Black" unbrella.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
She oughtta try reading Beowulf someday.

:D

That was another one I had to read for my B.A. And Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Dante's Inferno. All for the same class: "Metaphorical Journeys."

Upvote 0