Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you search "what the bible says about tattoos"....
PS: Yes, so many Christians receive faith based ones; like it says in the quote in post #15, above:

"More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd."

It of course varies from place to place; but the quote was referring to the Bible Belt. Although referring to females, both genders do it, of course. Years ago it used to be a man thing; but this has changed hugely. It's probably worthwhile for families of young people approaching 18, when it's so often done, to make a point of stressing the importance of careful planning beforehand, like you say in your video.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend that used a Tattoo as a way to witness and he did bring people to Christ.
PS:

It really is very widespread for young ppl to do at around 18; and many Christians are motivated to use this very widespread custom and rite of passage as something with witness value, by making it a faith based design.

I expect you've talked to various young Christians who have had this idea.

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PS:

It really is very widespread for young ppl to do at around 18; and many Christians are motivated to use this very widespread custom and rite of passage as something with witness value, by making it a faith based design.

I expect you've talked to various young Christians who have had this idea.

Yes, and, well I am one of those Christians.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS:

Your Brother In Christ:

I know you're not planning any; and also I've not worn earrings myself for years. But, in a way like a tattoo at 18, I think earrings also can be good for a guy to do if he wants to; it's kind of like saying, I'm an adult now, a man. (If this makes sense somehow?)

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PS:

Your Brother In Christ:

I know you're not planning any; and also I've not worn earrings myself for years. But, in a way like a tattoo at 18, I think earrings also can be good for a guy to do if he wants to; it's kind of like saying, I'm an adult now, a man. (If this makes sense somehow?)

Yes, you are referring to a coming of age event, and it is very important for young men to have coming of age events. I remember many of my own, with my earthly father and my heavenly one.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you are referring to a coming of age event, and it is very important for young men to have coming of age events. I remember many of my own, with my earthly father and my heavenly one.
Your Brother in Christ:

Yes, I really agree with you. And these days guys do both ears, also (it used to be one ear, years ago.)

I don't suppose your dad wears earrings himself, because often if dad does, the son will have it done as well; but I do agree that having it done is a very suitable coming of age event for a young man to look forward to (and look back to, I guess?)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
it is very important for young men to have coming of age events.
PS:

Your Brother In Christ:

FYI, on the other thread, sola1517 said:
I thought about getting some small white tunnels.
(He thought that Hot Topic is the best place to get them. Some ppl think that a tattoo parlor is the best place to get ear piercings done.)

If you went to a parlor for your tattoo, were you satisfied with the parlor and the artist?

(i.e., enough to recommend it/him/her to others).

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PS:

Your Brother In Christ:

FYI, on the other thread, sola1517 said: (He thought that Hot Topic is the best place to get them. Some ppl think that a tattoo parlor is the best place to get ear piercings done.)

If you went to a parlor for your tattoo, were you satisfied with the parlor and the artist?

(i.e., enough to recommend it/him/her to others).

I when to a old friend and they did it, they use to do tattoos but they have retired. So i can't recommend anyone.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I when to a old friend and they did it, they use to do tattoos but they have retired. So i can't recommend anyone.
Your Brother In Christ:

Oh okay, thanks. So sounds like you decided and went and had it done quite a while ago, then; and they don't do it now.

(Some ppl do think that it's best to have ears done, anyway, at a tattoo parlor rather than with a gun at a kiosk.)

So I guess if ever you wanted to go for more ink, you would have to start out again and look for a parlor and get new recommendations, then?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, it's their choice. I only have a problem with tats when some guy with Nazi swastikas all over him tries to slash me to pieces and I end up full of stitches and out of work for two weeks.
SgtBen:

I think you'll find anyhow that a lot of Christians have it done; often as a coming of age thing in faith based designs.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So there is this song, (or two) about letting Jesus take over. The point to these two songs is that we need to get over ourselves and allow God to take over. I guess the point is to put God first and allow Him to "take the wheel" and "let Him drive". I agree, since I figure all else would be considered a lack of trust or idolatry, depending upon the situation. Could those situations apply to even having the most mundane thoughts just as the fact that it seems that every where I go, someone has a tattoo?

I find tattoos bothersome, but ironically not piercings. I just wouldn't like them on myself. I don't think that they don't look good on people, me in particular. I understand that many people see the human body as a canvas. I also understand a military veteran wearing them, that is different. I also understand if that is how one, who is an adult, wishes to differentiate themselves from other people, but how about if a person applies for a job? Unless one is a veteran, what would be the point of having a tattoo if one could prove distracting?

Now having expressed all of this, is making a link between how I feel about tattoos a bit far reaching compared to letting God take over. Anyways, here is my point to all of this. I need to get over myself. Letting God take over would be a good thing for me as even in the minor things such as my views on tattoos. I don't want one, but the fact that tattoos irk me do. It is none of my business. Should I pray about it and let go and let God, or is that not how God works? The point is, when we are to put God first, does it literally mean to put Him first in every detail of our lives, including the irksome, bothersome, minute things?
Well when we walk in the light we start noticing things more and more.
When things bother us, ask God for wisdom on how to deal with it. I think theres not really much you can do about someone elses tattoo, but just keep contending for the faith.

If everyone around you has a tattoo and you dont i do think anyone hungry and thristy for righteousness may look at you and wonder why you are different. Well you can let them in on a secret...you dont need a tattoo! You got Jesus!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If everyone around you has a tattoo and you dont i do think anyone hungry and thristy for righteousness may look at you and wonder why you are different. Well you can let them in on a secret...you dont need a tattoo! You got Jesus!

This is a good point. No one strictly speaking needs a tattoo.

Another alternative point would be, If ppl are very familiar with tattoos but see a faith based one pointing to a Scripture verse or some aspect of faith, this could provoke a question about what the faith based tattoo design means, and this could also be a good opportunity for testimony. (My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure that other conversations have also arisen as a result of her willingness to receive this tattoo. I think you might find that this has been @Your Brother In Christ 's experience, also.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand that many people see the human body as a canvas. I also understand a military veteran wearing them, that is different. I also understand if that is how one, who is an adult, wishes to differentiate themselves from other people, but how about if a person applies for a job? Unless one is a veteran, what would be the point of having a tattoo if one could prove distracting?
PS: Lik3:

So have you thought more about this subject, maybe?

These days not only ppl in the military but a significant proportion of military spouses get tattoos; a military guy was on these forums a while back reporting that other military wives have urged his wife to have it done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If God be top priority that's enough.
For some Christians, getting a faith based tattoo may be part of a motivation to prioritize God in their lives, right?

(Especially since faith based tattoo designs are proven effective in witness conversations.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If God be top priority that's enough.
Hi; some ppl regard getting inked as a matter of prioritizing faith! My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure that other conversations have also arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done (which was maybe the whole point of it).

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2017
Midwest
✟10,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No one can make a decision for anyone else, but for those interested in what the scriptures say on the matter I hope these verses lend some guidance:

‘You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:28

Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are. 1 Corinthians 3:16 & 17

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19 & 20

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.
1 Timothy 2:9 & 10

The verses from 1 Corinthians 6 are in the context of joining oneself to a prostitute. But, they brings up the idea of our being the temple of God, not being our own but belonging to God, and glorifying God in our bodies.

The verses in 1 Timothy 2 reminded me of what someone posted earlier about the man who had scriptures tattooed on his body but beat his wife. I was also reminded of a skit I saw in my college days where the actors were wearing "Christian" clothing and accessories (with crosses and other religious icons on them) while showing pride in their religiosity. I just remembered, also, that the Pharisees wore phylacteries which contained scripture, and scripture verses on the hem of their garments but inwardly were hypocrites. The idea of 1 Timothy 2:9 & 10 is that we shouldn't call attention to ourselves by what we wear on the outside, but through our good works.

Upvote 0