Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John didn't know that Jesus was the Messiah... which was the reason John came baptizing, according to him... and John saw the Holy Spirit rest upon Jesus, and heard the voice of the Father call down from Heaven, proclaiming the sonship of Jesus Christ.
Could you give me chapter and verse on that, please; because this is what I see:

Matthew 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

John knew He was the Messiah, before he even baptized Him.

Upvote 0

OtherSheep

Nov 1, 2020
wi
✟1,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Could you give me chapter and verse on that, please; because this is what I see:

Matthew 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

John knew He was the Messiah, before he even baptized Him.

Thanks for the question... in post #93 I left off one of the ones... I fixed it... here's the context.

Matthew 11:2-3 Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples, And said unto Him, "Art thou He that should come, or do we look for another?"

Yes, the spirit-filled John knew. What happened to JB's memory of the event? or to the Holy Spirit who reminds us what Jesus said? Did they torture him, like Paul did the Christians, into blaspheming?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for sharing....its given me food for thought.

You had me right up until you talked of communion because I dont see communion as literal but rather as symbolic.

I can understand, the doctrine of the Real Presence is "weird". I wouldn't worry too much about that particular matter right this second though.

-CryptoLutheran

• Optimistic
Reactions: TheTrueWay
Upvote 0

Tiburon

Aug 26, 2020
Perth
✟18,448.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Because we have a Sin Nature that resides in our flesh and blood.

And the Sin Nature cannot enter Heaven.

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

That's why were are going to get new bodies first.He didn't create us that way. he created us as sinless human beings.

But Adam changed all that.Salvation is offered to everyone; from Adam to the last person on earth.

The distance between God and man isn't going to change anything.They will not enter Heaven.

As the saying goes: Hell is paved with good intentions.Then you, "Let go and let God," as they say.
Any evidence of this 'Sin' nature, as opposed to just nature?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Any evidence of this 'Sin' nature, as opposed to just nature?

From a traditional Christian perspective the term "sin nature" is somewhat foreign. In the Western theological tradition, the concept of original sin doesn't give someone a separate nature, a "sin nature"; it simply means that there is a wound in our humanity. Thus human nature, as we experience it, is wounded. That wound is called concupiscence, which effectively just means that natural desire (which is not bad), is misshapen, bruised, or crooked. In the Lutheran tradition we describe this concept with the phrase that man is "incurvatus in se" or "curved inward"; desire is warped toward selfishness; and out of selfishness we act to please ourselves even at the expense of others.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tiburon

Aug 26, 2020
Perth
✟18,448.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
From a traditional Christian perspective the term "sin nature" is somewhat foreign. In the Western theological tradition, the concept of original sin doesn't give someone a separate nature, a "sin nature"; it simply means that there is a wound in our humanity. Thus human nature, as we experience it, is wounded. That wound is called concupiscence, which effectively just means that natural desire (which is not bad), is misshapen, bruised, or crooked. In the Lutheran tradition we describe this concept with the phrase that man is "incurvatus in se" or "curved inward"; desire is warped toward selfishness; and out of selfishness we act to please ourselves even at the expense of others.

-CryptoLutheran

I don't see that it is misshapen, bruised, or crooked. It is just a constant balancing act between what is good for the group as opposed to what is good for the individual. what is not good for the group is labelled sin. One could equally point to people who are warped toward selflessness; and out of selflessness act to please others at the expense of themselves.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't see that it is misshapen, bruised, or crooked. It is just a constant balancing act between what is good for the group as opposed to what is good for the individual. what is not good for the group is labelled sin. One could equally point to people who are warped toward selflessness; and out of selflessness act to please others at the expense of themselves.

Fundamentally there will be disagreements in regard to what is perceived as values, virtues, and vices here; based upon differences of approach to the world at large, one's place in it, and how experience and over-arching world view shape it.

So I wouldn't expect that we'd agree on this subject.

But then I'm less interested in trying to win you to my view, so much as I was interested in providing a more historically accurate and theologically nuanced perspective.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0