Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean to tell me you have never met or known anyone who is constantly saying they are sorry and asking forgiveness only to have them turn right back around and repeat the same offense over and over and over without even a hint of truly turning away from the wrong that they are doing?

There are people like this in the world you know and the Bible talks about those who are like that. Plenty of people have a worldy sorrow that leads to death and for the person who repeatedly sins against God while presuming on his grace places himself in a dangerous posistion.

I agree...why do you think otherwise? All I was saying was the two are so dependent on one another,
that when forgiveness is asked for, repentance is being offered.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I evidently need multiple scriptural evidence to convince a friend. Please help! :prayer:

Hi, UH, glad you are happy! :)

You might remind your friend of two examples of why it does not pay to play with fire.
  1. The case of Esau shows us that we may not be able to repent of sin, even if we seek the blessing with tears. Esau was sorry he lost out, but there is no evidence that he regretted dishonoring his father. Sometimes opportunity is irretrievably lost when we deviate from God's good plans for us. We think we can always come back, but the fact is that sin changes us, and our hearts might get so hardened that we are unable to turn again (also see Pharaoh).
  2. The case of David shows that even if we are able to repent and re-reconcile with God, the cost of sin is immense. David lost four of his children, and went through sad humiliation in his kingly role because of his serious error.
Jesus paid the price we could not pay, but too often we think that makes us free to do as we wish. But God still is not mocked (Gal 6). It's one thing to fall despite our best efforts to reverence and obey God; it's quite another to willfully sin against him.

But encourage each other daily, while it is still called today, so that none of you is hardened by sin’s deception. -Heb 3.13​

Be blessed,
p.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, UH, glad you are happy! :)

You might remind your friend of two examples of why it does not pay to play with fire.
  1. The case of Esau shows us that we may not be able to repent of sin, even if we seek the blessing with tears. Esau was sorry he lost out, but there is no evidence that he regretted dishonoring his father. Sometimes opportunity is irretrievably lost when we deviate from God's good plans for us. We think we can always come back, but the fact is that sin changes us, and our hearts might get so hardened that we are unable to turn again (also see Pharaoh).
  2. The case of David shows that even if we are able to repent and re-reconcile with God, the cost of sin is immense. David lost four of his children, and went through sad humiliation in his kingly role because of his serious error.
Jesus paid the price we could not pay, but too often we think that makes us free to do as we wish. But God still is not mocked (Gal 6). It's one thing to fall despite our best efforts to reverence and obey God; it's quite another to willfully sin against him.
But encourage each other daily, while it is still called today, so that none of you is hardened by sin’s deception. -Heb 3.13​
Be blessed,
p.

Im glad you mentioned Esau, its a very good example of the fate of one who sins against the grace and benefits of God time and time again.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree...why do you think otherwise?

Because it seemed as though you were saying that in every case that a person ask for forgiveness must mean that they are being repentant when that certainly is not always the case.

Some are only sorry for the consequences that their sin brings upon them and thus will tell God they are sorry for sinning when the fact remains they are only sorry for being caught in their sins.

Just like the car thief who only sheds a tear when the cuffs are being placed around his wrist and he is being hauled off to jail.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't say that though

This is what you said that I do not agree with concerning every individual that ask for forgiveness-

To me, asking for forgiveness is in effect, repenting...

My point is that not everyone who ask for forgiveness has genuinely repented of their sin. The evidence that one has repented will be obvious because the individual in question will be striving to put away the sin that they are confessing in the first place.

Some people presume on Gods grace by playing around in their favorite sins and then giving mere lip service by asking for forgiveness but knowing full well in their hearts that they do not ever intend to give up that sin and that sir is not repentance.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To the OP all I can tell you is that your friend sounds like he/she is just making excuses to stay in their sin while asking for more and more evidence from the Bible where God clearly shows that what they are doing is wrong. 1 verse of scripture from the word of God showing them the error of their way has just as much meaning as 100 others from the word of God saying the same thing.

Upvote 0

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's a mistake to trust in our "correct" repenting and our obedience instead of Jesus. It's not about being "good", but putting complete trust in the only one who is not shifting sand, Jesus. That's it.

To the OP. I hope your friend gets through everything okay. If she's anything like me she may stray and I think everyone does at times. But Jesus is always there.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
robertZ- Amen!

To The OP please show your friend all the verses in the Bible that show their error. Your 'friend' sounds to me show does not really know God and just treats Jesus as someone to bribe God with. That is a horrible way to treat Jesus as we know he saves people from their sins who truly believe in him, that he died so we may be free from sin, we repent because we know how offensive all sin is to God. Your 'friend' is not only mocking God, they are mocking you.

Repent means to change ones mind about sin. And that means not to do it anymore. If they truly repent then grace is given - Jesus is this grace, and he sends his helper the Holy Spirit so that we may walk with him to holiness.

Show them Ezekiel chapter 18 what God really thinks of sin.

Upvote 0

Ttery

May 27, 2010
✟19,617.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
2 Timothy 2:19

"Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.”"

We shouldn't take God's Grace for Granted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 22, 2010
Florida
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for all your responses!!! I'm sorry I've been away for so long!!!

I've decided to shake the dust from my feet and move on.
This person says she tries 110% not to sin day to day, she gives everything her best everyday and does the right thing all the time. So she thinks since everyone sins, it's okay for her to smoke weed and have sex with her boyfriend since those are the only two sins she does. She thinks that God will not punish her for having sex with the man she loves and why did he put weed on this earth?
I tried telling her that you must follow the law of the land even if you don't agree with it. And you must separate yourself from the world. She says that she IS separating herself by doing good and smoking weed, because no one in the world thinks like she does.
I just got really frustrated and stopped trying to convince her. I've tried and tried but she wants to do what she wants and the only thing I can do now is pray for her.
Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like she has yet to experience the grace of God in a life changing way, she has not been shown the holiness of God (and therefore her sinfulness) and she seems to be lacking the working of sanctification of the Holy Spirit in her life (no conviction of sin). The bible says about such people to leave them alone and treat them as you would any other unbeliever, in other words do not be friends with her and just pray that God will grant her true and godly repentance.

Upvote 0

Ttery

May 27, 2010
✟19,617.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Romans 6:15 (New International Version 1984, ©1984)

Slaves to Righteousness

"What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!"

Even though we are not under The Law anymore, but under Grace, that does not mean we should continue to sin. We should turn away from our sin and follow what is righteous in God's sight.

Upvote 0