Taking advantage of God's grace?

Nov 22, 2010
Florida
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I apologize if this has been asked before :o, but I know that it is wrong to consciously sin saying to yourself:

"It's okay to do this sin, because God will forgive me for every sin I commit (other than blasphemy) and I will just ask for forgiveness and it will be swept under the rug (per se) because God's grace/mercy is great and that's what He does!"

:doh:But I only know a few chapters in Romans where Paul addresses this issue to the Romans/Roman churches, are there any other chapters in the Bible regarding this? :confused: I evidently need multiple scriptural evidence to convince a friend. Please help! :prayer:

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I thank God for the cross of Christ! The cross allows us to be declared righteous without having to depend on the righteousness of the law, which as God says are only like filthy rags. With this in mind, I trust that whenever I sin or anybody else, no matter how many times or for how long I have been doing it, the cross of Jesus Christ is enough to satisfy the wrath of a holy God.

I think what is most important is that we desire holiness, not that we always achieve it, although we must never forget that with the new life we have it is possible to say "no" to sin, we must also remember that sin inevitably will entice and we will fail. It will happen because we are fallen and we have a evil nature that refuses to die although we are to declare it as so (dead).

No matter what though, no matter how many times we sin, we must always come back to the cross and know that whatever we have done it can and has been covered by the blood of Christ. This does not give us a license to sin, but on the contrary, in view of such awesome and loving grace how could we want to continue to sin?

So the point is: if we love God and have been saved by His Son we will not live in sin (this means consciously sinning and never repenting over it). But is also means that if we do sin we will always return to the cross and to mercy to receive His grace in our time of need, He knows we are fallen and the greater the sinner, greater is the grace that is bestowed on him/her as long as he/she believes.

I still struggle with sin, although I hate the sin I do and desire to stop, I still do it sometimes and I always regret it and repent over it. I desire holiness in my life but I can never achieve it, but I know it is possible through Jesus and I believe that this desire to live holy and pure is the Holy Spirit working in my life. Man cannot desire holiness without the workings of the Spirit of God, so if you have this desire in you, you can know that you have been born of God.

All of mankind has taken advantage of the grace of God, it would not be grace if it was deserved (the very meaning of grace is that it is nothing that we can lay claim to best on our effort), but the love of God is not dependent on our performance, it is dependent on Jesus Christ and what He freely offers humanity. Forgiveness is always possible through the cross of Christ, we must though be willing to accept it instead of wallowing in self pity, every time we fail, we must repent and try again, we will not go anywhere but backwards if we refuse to let our Father forgive us, He always wants to forgive those who trust in His Son for salvation, we are God's children now, no longer His enemy, He deals with us as such (as a godly Father would deal with a son or daughter when they mess up).

He demands perfection but perfection is only brought about through the blood of Jesus. As long as you recognize this, you are on safe ground.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2010
Florida
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you for your reply SoldierOfSoul, but what I really mean is if someone thinks it's okay for excessive drinking, drugs, and pre-marital sex because we can just ask for forgiveness and be okay. Pretty much do whatever you want regardless of what the Bible says because you know God will have mercy on you.

I hope that makes sense?

Edited to add: So what I guess I'm asking is for references to sinning but not repenting but asking for forgiveness anyway.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your reply SoldierOfSoul, but what I really mean is if someone thinks it's okay for excessive drinking, drugs, and pre-marital sex because we can just ask for forgiveness and be okay. Pretty much do whatever you want regardless of what the Bible says because you know God will have mercy on you.

I hope that makes sense?

Edited to add: So what I guess I'm asking is for references to sinning but not repenting but asking for forgiveness anyway.

No it is not okay to abuse the grace of God and you must remember that God is not mocked! Where their is no genuine repentance over sin their is no forgiveness. Your just giving mere lip service to God when you verbally tell him your sorry and then yet turn right back around and repeat the same sins over and over again, after all its your heart that he see's.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2010
Florida
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No it is not okay to abuse the grace of God and you must remember that God is not mocked! Where their is no genuine repentance over sin their is no forgiveness. Your just giving mere lip service to God when you verbally tell him your sorry and then yet turn right back around and repeat the same sins over and over again, after all its your heart that he see's.

Would you happen to know any scriptures that says this? I'm looking to help a friend. I feel/know that it's wrong, but I can't find evidence in the Bible.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 8:13-14
For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

As Christians their will always be struggles with our fallen fleshly sin nature until we are finally glorified with Christ, however you must remember that the genuine born again Christian while he may fall time and time again will make a genuine effort to repent "turn from that sin" because the Spirit of God will enable him to do so.

The person that says they are sorry over and over again and yet commit the same sin over and over again without any real effort to turn from that sin in genuine repentance has reason to be concerned about the true state of his or her soul.

Also you must remember that if you truly belong to God then you can expect your heavenly father to come down on you hard with discipline when you start to sin against him, but woe unto you if you never experience the chastisement of God in your life because more than likely you are a illegitimate child rather than a true child of God!

Hebrews 12:6-8
Because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.

In short if you can live in a lifestyle of unrepentant sin and never experience the heavy hand of Gods chastisement then something is wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoldierOfSoul
Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would you happen to know any scriptures that says this? I'm looking to help a friend. I feel/know that it's wrong, but I can't find evidence in the Bible.

In Luke 17:3-4, Jesus taught His disciples, "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, 'I repent,' you shall forgive him." Clearly, Jesus taught that forgiveness MUST be preceded by the offender's repentance. Without it there can be no forgiveness (Luke 13:3; 2 Peter 3:9). If repentance were not required, how could the church withdraw from a disorderly brother or sister (2 Thessalonians 3:6,14-15)? We would simply have to forgive them and the matter would be closed.

Also, there would be no need for Godly sorrow if forgiveness were meted out while the person was still guilty of and engaged in their trespass (2 Corinthians 7:9-10). In Acts 8:22, we read Peter's similar instruction to Simon the sorcerer: "Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you."

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I hope that makes sense?

Well if that be the case then the answer would be "no", because someone with that kind of attitude has not truly received or known the grace of God. Jesus does not save us so that we will continue to sin, He saves us to make us a holy people, separate from the world. And the point is if you do not have this desire in your heart to be holy for Christ's sake, you are not saved.

You should tell your friend to seriously read 1 John:

6If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
7But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1)

3Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 John 2)

1My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
2And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. (1 John 2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I hope that makes sense?

To me, asking for forgiveness is in effect, repenting...
You can not ask for forgiveness for something you do not repent for, otherwise, how can you be forgiven?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can not ask for forgiveness for something you do not repent for, otherwise, how can you be forgiven?

This is true, forgiveness and repentance go hand in hand. You cannot have one without the other, this should be commonsense in the Christian life.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Its nothing more than mere lip service unless you actually intend to cease from making a practice of the particular sin that you are asking forgiveness for.

Asking God to forgive you when you know good and well that in your heart you plan to go back into that sin is not repentance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its nothing more than mere lip service unless you actually intend to cease from making a practice of the particular sin that you are asking forgiveness for.

Asking God to forgive you when you know good and well that in your heart you plan to go back into that sin is not repentance.

How can you ask for forgiveness without repenting...you have to be acknowledging wrong doing in order to seek forgiveness....The two go hand in hand.
Why ask for forgiveness when you don't feel sorry about what you did, in the first place?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can you ask for forgiveness without repenting...you have to be acknowledging wrong doing in order to seek forgiveness....The two go hand in hand.
Why ask for forgiveness when you don't feel sorry about what you did, in the first place?

There are two kinds of repentance: worldly and godly.

Worldly repentance is sorrow for being caught, it is self pity for being discovered in your sin and the shame that goes with it.

Godly repentance is repentance to God for the sin that you have done that has hurt Him personally. It is recognizing that you have offended a holy God and that the sin you have done can only be atoned for by the blood of Jesus.

We can feel bad sometimes over sin and even feel bad when we hurt a fellow human being but these feelings will not grant us forgiveness from God until He reveals to us and grants us true godly repentance from our sin by looking at the cross of His Son.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You mean to tell me you have never met or known anyone who is constantly saying they are sorry and asking forgiveness only to have them turn right back around and repeat the same offense over and over and over without even a hint of truly turning away from the wrong that they are doing?

There are people like this in the world you know and the Bible talks about those who are like that. Plenty of people have a worldy sorrow that leads to death and for the person who repeatedly sins against God while presuming on his grace places himself in a dangerous posistion.

Upvote 0

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Godly repentance is repentance to God for the sin that you have done that has hurt Him personally. It is recognizing that you have offended a holy God and that the sin you have done can only be atoned for by the blood of Jesus.

We can feel bad sometimes over sin and even feel bad when we hurt a fellow human being but these feelings will not grant us forgiveness from God until He reveals to us and grants us true godly repentance from our sin by looking at the cross of His Son.

Amen brother! All I can say is that the one who presumes on the grace of God has most likely never been born again because a true child of God knows the sacrafice that was made for him and when he sins against that sacrafice he morns over that sin because the Holy Spirit within him is grieved.

1 John 3:9
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Its simple, if your really born again you will not go on making a practiced lifestyle of habitual sin and anyone that says differently doesnt know the Bible. Yes as I said before you will stumble and fall at times but when you do if your really his you will not only confess your sins with your mouth but you will make an honest effort to cease from that sin.

Upvote 0