Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Swiss Opus Dei bishop endorses same-sex civil unions while an African Opus Dei priest has been suspended for criticizing Pope Francis own support of these unions. Where is Opus Dei heading?

SWITZERLAND (LifeSiteNews) — On September 26, the Swiss people will vote in a referendum on the question of whether or not there should be “marriage for all.” Swiss Bishop Joseph Maria Bonnemain, the new Catholic bishop of Chur, has now repeatedly entered the debate, claiming that he has no objections to same-sex unions and “marriages,” but asking that the marriage between man and woman then will be re-named in order to “differentiate.” At no point does he present the Church’s teaching on the sinfulness of homosexual acts.

Bonnemain is following here the pontiff’s own lead, since Pope Francis seemed to have a similar position when he publicly endorsed same-sex civil unions – while not calling them “marriage” – and when he at the same time remained silent on the Church’s teaching on the sinfulness of homosexual acts.

Continued below.
Swiss Opus Dei bishop: 'I have nothing against' one woman 'marrying' another - LifeSite

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,220,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A Swiss Opus Dei bishop endorses same-sex civil unions while an African Opus Dei priest has been suspended for criticizing Pope Francis own support of these unions. Where is Opus Dei heading?

SWITZERLAND (LifeSiteNews) — On September 26, the Swiss people will vote in a referendum on the question of whether or not there should be “marriage for all.” Swiss Bishop Joseph Maria Bonnemain, the new Catholic bishop of Chur, has now repeatedly entered the debate, claiming that he has no objections to same-sex unions and “marriages,” but asking that the marriage between man and woman then will be re-named in order to “differentiate.” At no point does he present the Church’s teaching on the sinfulness of homosexual acts.

Bonnemain is following here the pontiff’s own lead, since Pope Francis seemed to have a similar position when he publicly endorsed same-sex civil unions – while not calling them “marriage” – and when he at the same time remained silent on the Church’s teaching on the sinfulness of homosexual acts.

Continued below.
Swiss Opus Dei bishop: 'I have nothing against' one woman 'marrying' another - LifeSite
:doh:

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟895,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I find Opus Dei interesting and at the same time a bit confusing.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,567,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find Opus Dei interesting and at the same time a bit confusing.
You are not alone. I could know a lot more than I do now but life gets in the way. I know some but not all. But it’s a continual journey.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟271,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
St. John Paul II prophesied that the future of Catholicism would come from Africa; perhaps that's why the African priest opposes these abominations, while the Swiss priest has no problems with it.

Europe and the West are dying---culturally, morally, spiritually, politically; while at the same time, Catholics and other Christians in Africa maintain a vibrant, strong faith, even in the face of deadly persecutions.

Ironically, the only European nation that seems to have a strong and stable Christian culture any more is Russia. Go figure.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟422,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Continued below.

The fact that something like this comes out almost everyday now, and that Pope Francis has hinted there is a bombshell of a major change(s) on the horizon in the upcoming synod to synod about synodality synodism (or whatever it is) makes it incredibly hard to dismiss Vigano's claim that there's a parallel Church, not to mention question whether SSPX is some kind of remnant.

I'm still not convinced of either of those things but like I said, it gets harder with each day. And maybe that's the point, maybe they want us to defect simply as a mode of destroying the Church.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,220,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The fact that something like this comes out almost everyday now, and that Pope Francis has hinted there is a bombshell of a major change(s) on the horizon in the upcoming synod to synod about synodality synodism (or whatever it is) makes it incredibly hard to dismiss Vigano's claim that there's a parallel Church, not to mention question whether SSPX is some kind of remnant.

I'm still not convinced of either of those things but like I said, it gets harder with each day. And maybe that's the point, maybe they want us to defect simply as a mode of destroying the Church.
It gets harder each day.

Pope Francis complains about narcissistic navel gazing and then launches a meta-synod whose whole point is navel gazing. I just can't grok that. Something is haywire.

Last night I reviewed the information about the NAC and cardinal Dolan and archbishop Lucas. It made me sick, mostly because it's either all lies or it's a nuclear bomb in the Church that has already detonated but the blast has yet to hit normal Catholics. The dissonance of that, combined with the navel gazing synod on synodism and the Canadian bishop banning those who have not been vaccinated from the sacraments (and I'm betting he isn't an outlier bishop either) all of those have messed with my head, coming to the point last night where I have decided I need to go find my sanity.

I'm going to set the madness aside for at least two weeks. Or try to. This junk can't be what I wake up to each morning and ruminate on through the day. So instead I'm going to the Bible study on Acts tonight. Then to the Ordinariate Liturgy of the Hours on Wednesday. And try to reorient my sorry bones to more prayer and less despair. I'll be around here a little bit, but my goal will be to be less of a cynic (my natural state) and wait upon the Lord. Or, as my favorite quote from pope John XXIII goes, "It's your Church, Lord. I'm going to bed."

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟422,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm going to set the madness aside for at least two weeks. Or try to. This junk can't be what I wake up to each morning and ruminate on through the day. So instead I'm going to the Bible study on Acts tonight. Then to the Ordinariate Liturgy of the Hours on Wednesday. And try to reorient my sorry bones to more prayer and less despair. I'll be around here a little bit, but my goal will be to be less of a cynic (my natural state) and wait upon the Lord. Or, as my favorite quote from pope John XXIII goes, "It's your Church, Lord. I'm going to bed."

Good on ya for taking charge of yourself like that. I may need to do the same, though my work kind of precludes that.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,220,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Good on ya for taking charge of yourself like that. I may need to do the same, though my work kind of precludes that.
It's been a better day, but almost anything has to be better than what I worked myself up to yesterday.

We need people to be the bird dogs for locating this kind of slime. It has to be unearthed. It's just I'm only a wannabe bird dog not really doing the work of a bird dog but feeling all the aches and pains the bird dog feels with no actual satisfaction for making a dent in the problem. I hope you can steer clear of some of it but make a difference on the rest. Pray more than anything and that may get you through.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟422,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We need people to be the bird dogs for locating this kind of slime. It has to be unearthed. It's just I'm only a wannabe bird dog not really doing the work of a bird dog but feeling all the aches and pains the bird dog feels with no actual satisfaction for making a dent in the problem. I hope you can steer clear of some of it but make a difference on the rest. Pray more than anything and that may get you through.

It's so pervasive though, both ecclesiastically and secularly, that it's hard to feel hope or motivation to see to it's destruction. I think that's the appeal of the SSPX. They're not without their bumps and bruises, but they're not about to be subjected to this nonsensical synodpalooza that's afoot. To be clear, I'm still not down with the SSPX, I'm just saying the appeal is becoming increasingly clear. They seem more insulated and protected because of Lefebvre, and sometimes I wonder if that's the fulfillment of Christ's promise of indefectability. I'm not convinced that it is, but it's something I think about anyway.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,048.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, he needs to keep his opinions to himself. On second thought, he should be investigated because it's possible that he's gay as well, this is how we get to find them out easily, they keep supporting what they do in secret. I pray he is dealt with by the Pope.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟271,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, he needs to keep his opinions to himself. On second thought, he should be investigated because it's possible that he's gay as well, this is how we get to find them out easily, they keep supporting what they do in secret. I pray he is dealt with by the Pope.

I wouldn't hold my breath too long, if I were you. Pope Francis seems to be rather, ah, "tolerant", shall we say, in number of areas. :|

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0