Supreme Court Ruling Opens Door for States to Resume Executions by Lethal Injection

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
. My first thought is that it's more humane to kill someone than to force them to rot in prison for life.

I've thought if I had the choice, quick death would be preferable. However, every criminal I've ever read about that might get the death penalty tries to plead for life in prison instead. Seems odd to me.

Upvote 0

paperkate

Rampant liberal
Jul 30, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Visit site
✟15,385.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My first thought is that it's more humane to kill someone than to force them to rot in prison for life.

Perhaps this is true in some cases. But I still firmly believe we should not be in the business of putting human beings to death. It is not our place to do it, and it is murder.

I absolutely agree with you on prison reform and crime prevention. Stop putting petty offenders and drug addicts in prison. And for the most dangerous of criminals, a life sentence should actually mean a life sentence, with absolutely no possibility of getting out.

However, I do not think criminals are 'dead anyways', and when we start thinking that way, it's easy to not push for the things you mention, the education, the prison reform. I think we should offer criminals education, psychiatric treatment, an opportunity to rehabilitate in safety. Life inside prison is a very severe punishment indeed, but there is no reason it cannot be done humanely.

Upvote 0