United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

CNN —
In a stinging defeat for President Joe Biden, the Supreme Court blocked the administration’s student loan forgiveness plan Friday, rejecting a program aimed at delivering up to $20,000 of relief to millions of borrowers struggling with outstanding debt.

Republican-led states and conservatives challenging the program say it amounts to an unlawful attempt to erase an estimated $430 billion of federal student loan debt under the guise of the pandemic.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anyone keeping a count on how many people are being persuaded to not vote Republican next time around?
I don't mind having a conversation about some sort of compromise on this issue. There were a lot of people who had the rug yanked out from underneath them by covid.

However, there should be
A) some caveats and contingencies
...and
B) it has to be part of some bigger discussion about fixing the flawed incentive structure that's been leading schools to sign people up for overpriced and unmarketable degrees

Without that aspect of university accountability being factored into the conversation, we'll just be creating yet another upward pricing pressure point like some of the grants did.

When college was $1000, and the federal government wanted to assist via a $600 grant, the Universities said "Well, we already know that people are willing to sign on for $1000 of payment (or a loan in that amount), now that that government is footing $600 of that, we're changing our price to $1600. And that pattern was followed through several iterations until we were at now.

There was a good bipartisan proposal on the matter last year (not sure how far it got) that was aimed at putting some of the responsibility on the colleges themselves.
Salerno broached the idea of requiring colleges to co-sign the loans students take out. They would then be financially responsible if a borrower is unable to make good on their payments after graduating.

Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was going to reply: "they'll be back..." who want to buy the votes of liberals and deadbeats, but they've already started the ball rolling for coming at this from another angle (including using this and the over turning of Roe as an excuse to pack the Supreme Court).

No need, really. The Supreme Court proved to be a supreme disappointment December 10, 2020 when they refused to perform their most basic duty and reason for existing (to uphold and defend the Constitution): the chiefest reasons for the existence of the Supreme Court, and the chiefest reason for the existence of the U.S. Constitution is the honest, fair casting of election ballots to insure the peaceful transfer of power.

And they BLEW IT ! ! !

When the United Soviet States of America are firmly in place, December 10, 2020 will be a holiday of victory over bourgeois capitalist pig dogs...

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Speaking as one who has several family members who are college grads... though I am not, I chose rather to serve my country in the military for 4 years rather than self serving through education / getting a four year head start on my career...

I am unwilling to pay for other people's choices to serve self over country.
Most of them have higher paying jobs than I have ever had because of the college degrees.
Is it right that people like me (through taxes) pay for their choices / benefits.
Talk about welfare for the rich...

I don't think lending institutions should take the loss either. They loaned the money in good faith.

I think the OUTRAGEOUS cost of higher education should be exposed and brought down ! ! !

I mean, look at the poor quality of the education system from daycare to fellowship and all the knuckleheads doing everything the wrong way for boo-coo bucks...

I am old. I remember a time of a stronger purchasing power dollar and the expectations of excellence in society...

Ah, but after all it's a form of social de-engineering (as I referred to obliquely in my last post).

Upvote 0