Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Recall your geometry lessons in school: the angle of a straight line is 180 degrees. If the earth is flat, sunrise and sunset should be 180 degrees apart. But sunrise and sunset aren't 180 degrees apart as observed on most places on earth at various times of the years.

At 45 degrees north of the equator, on December 22 the sun rises at 123 degrees (roughly SE) and sets at 237 degrees (roughly southwest.) This is only a 114 degree difference.

On June 20, the numbers are 55 degrees (a change of 68 degrees to the north) and 305 degrees (68 degrees farther north.) This is a difference of 250 degrees.

If the sun is travelling in a straight line across the sky, the only explanation for the differences between the differences of 114 and 205 degrees is that the earth is not flat but a sphere.

Even more revealing is that at the poles, at certain times of the year the sun never goes below the horizon.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recall your geometry lessons in school: the angle of a straight line is 180 degrees. If the earth is flat, sunrise and sunset should be 180 degrees apart. But sunrise and sunset aren't 180 degrees apart as observed on most places on earth at various times of the years.

You're misinformed. According to the most popular FE model, the sun never sets at all.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

At 45 degrees north of the equator, on December 22 the sun rises at 123 degrees (roughly SE) and sets at 237 degrees (roughly southwest.) This is only a 114 degree difference.

On June 20, the numbers are 55 degrees (a change of 68 degrees to the north) and 305 degrees (68 degrees farther north.) This is a difference of 250 degrees.

If the sun is travelling in a straight line across the sky, the only explanation for the differences between the differences of 114 and 205 degrees is that the earth is not flat but a sphere.

Even more revealing is that at the poles, at certain times of the year the sun never goes below the horizon.

I think ol' JP has definitively settled this terribly, terribly misconstrued issue -- so Flat Earth Rules, obviously! ;)

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Guess I missed that lesson. Could you expound?

The FE model posits that the sun is a light source which rotates overhead in a circular track, basically a spotlight that points straight down. When you are in the direct cone of illumination, it is day. When you are outside the cone, it is night. The spotlight never actually goes below the horizon, you simply are no longer in the illumination cone.

Logically, this would mean the sun winks out while still well above the horizon. But in the FE model this doesn't happen because Reasons.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The FE model posits that the sun is a light source which rotates overhead in a circular track, basically a spotlight that points straight down. When you are in the direct cone of illumination, it is day. When you are outside the cone, it is night. The spotlight never actually goes below the horizon, you simply are no longer in the illumination cone.

Logically, this would mean the sun winks out while still well above the horizon. But in the FE model this doesn't happen because Reasons.
It is also proven false by simply looking at the sun through a telescope. It is clearly round and illuminating in all directions and we don't need a NASA photo for that one... I can do it with my 13.1" dob, my phone camera, and the sunglasses I used for the eclipse. :)

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It is also proven false by simply looking at the sun through a telescope. It is clearly round and illuminating in all directions and we don't need a NASA photo for that one... I can do it with my 13.1" dob, my phone camera, and the sunglasses I used for the eclipse. :)
I would strongly suggest using a sheet of paper instead.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would strongly suggest using a sheet of paper instead.
Well, point taken but also not my point. :) The entire FE idea is just filled with conspiracies, assumptions, and pseudo-science. Folks are welcome to believe in it, a lunar Sabbath, and whatever else blows in this week. I don't have to believe it. :)

Be blessed.
Ken

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Not espousing flat earth theories by any means, but......

flashlight beam 2.jpg
turned towards you
flashlight beam 1.jpg

It now appears to be illuminating in all directions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Not espousing flat earth theories by any means, but wouldn't it under that theory follow the dome of the sky, and therefore move in an arc, up and down, creating the same illusion as a round earth would by changing the angle? I would say your calculations assume the sun is at the same distance constantly, when they would say it varies slightly, varying the degree it appears to traverse.

I just find it a fascinating subject, nothing more...

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not espousing flat earth theories by any means, but wouldn't it under that theory follow the dome of the sky, and therefore move in an arc, up and down, creating the same illusion as a round earth would by changing the angle? I would say your calculations assume the sun is at the same distance constantly, when they would say it varies slightly, varying the degree it appears to traverse.

I just find it a fascinating subject, nothing more...

You could easily reproduce this with a laser scriber and a basketball.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You could easily reproduce this with a laser scriber and a basketball.
But can you reproduce it also with a plate that is convex and moving the laser pointer up and down, as you move it in a circle?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not espousing flat earth theories by any means, but......

View attachment 233677 turned towards you View attachment 233678

It now appears to be illuminating in all directions.
There is still a residual that doesn't aim down but encompasses the whole area. If the earth were flat the sun would reach all places at once. It might be dimmer in around the edges, but never dark. The layout would demand that daylight in Canada is also daylight in China, which we know isn't the case because we can Facetime somebody there and see for ourselves. I know you aren't espousing this, so this isn't really directed to you... but this whole "theory" is just lacking in any real science.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

The sun travels in a circle, as described by others. This is the reason there is not a 180 degree difference between rise and set. At different times of the year, the sun's orbit is smaller or larger, so this angle changes.

The atmosphere blocks the sun's rays. Evidence of this can be seen in the sunrises where the sun appears above the horizon. At sufficient distances, light from the sun is blocked by the thick atmosphere, clouds etc., as mountains and other objects are.

If Antarctica were not out of bounds and the Earth was a sphere, belief in flat-Earth could quickly be dispelled. There are no (reliable) videos of 24 hour sun-light in Antarctica, and earlier (more reliable) explorer accounts indicate night-fall when there should have been 24 hour day, if the Earth were a ball. Why ban people from Antarctica, if NASA and Co. have nothing to hide?

Upvote 0