• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Suffering From Intrusive Thoughts

Shawb

Mar 13, 2017
Connecticut
✟31,365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I just created my account today, nice to meet you all. Weeks ago, (though not diagnosed) I felt as though I had experienced depression as I had felt joyless, had low energy, experienced insomnia, and just felt absolutely horrible. This had lasted for about a week or two and I felt that God was distant from me or punishing me. But I had a very supportive family and I started reading the bible and praying more that God would deliver me from the pain. Eventually, the depression (at least seemingly) left, but I started experiencing intrusive thoughts. Negative ones about God, the devil, or losing my faith, which terrified and continue to terrify me greatly. I became sin conscious and the activities that used to give me joy became terrifying because I was unsure if I was offending God. But again, the worst parts were the intrusive thoughts that in no way represent my true beliefs, but they would become so consuming that cause my anxiety and I constantly pray for forgiveness. Recently, I had an intrusive thought renouncing my faith which caused me great distress. I never, ever, want to renounce my faith I believe and love Jesus and want to be saved. I know it's the enemy filling me with lies, but the very thought just kills me. I constantly tell myself that I am still in God's light, but I guess the thought still lingers. Am I still saved? I could use some insight.

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I just created my account today, nice to meet you all. Weeks ago, (though not diagnosed) I felt as though I had experienced depression as I had felt joyless, had low energy, experienced insomnia, and just felt absolutely horrible. This had lasted for about a week or two and I felt that God was distant from me or punishing me. But I had a very supportive family and I started reading the bible and praying more that God would deliver me from the pain. Eventually, the depression (at least seemingly) left, but I started experiencing intrusive thoughts. Negative ones about God, the devil, or losing my faith, which terrified and continue to terrify me greatly. I became sin conscious and the activities that used to give me joy became terrifying because I was unsure if I was offending God. But again, the worst parts were the intrusive thoughts that in no way represent my true beliefs, but they would become so consuming that cause my anxiety and I constantly pray for forgiveness. Recently, I had an intrusive thought renouncing my faith which caused me great distress. I never, ever, want to renounce my faith I believe and love Jesus and want to be saved. I know it's the enemy filling me with lies, but the very thought just kills me. I constantly tell myself that I am still in God's light, but I guess the thought still lingers. Am I still saved? I could use some insight.

I struggle with awful impulsive thoughts as well, but I won't say too much, I know how easily it gets stuck in your head. Maybe try memorising scriptures? Put good in, get good out? As far as you still being saved I'd say I'm not God but I'd think so. Especially since YOU don't want to.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all have thoughts that we do not like
And we are suppose to resist them and make our bodies submit to the obedience of Christ
It is hard and gets tough sometimes, but you must keep believing in HIM
He has not left you and HE will never leave you or forsake you
HE loves you more than you could ever love yourself
The bible says resist the devil and he will flee from you
I would say JESUS outloud when it happens and claim the blood of Jesus
Put on some praise and worship music, meditate on Gods word
Using the internet play the audible bible such as Thebiblegateway.com
Let it get into your mind and saturate you
I have found that when I am idle, thats when things can get bad
So at all times and in whatever you do, always have a strategy
Which is the word of God
he hates the word of God
he hates when you worship God
Start singing uncontrollably whatever comes to your mind
of your love for HIM, thanking HIM and praising HIM
The bible says to put on a garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness
Blessings to you in Jesus name and plzzzzzz NEVER forget HE loves you and will never ever ever leave you :oldthumbsup: :clap:

Upvote 0

Shawb

Mar 13, 2017
Connecticut
✟31,365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Shawb

Mar 13, 2017
Connecticut
✟31,365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We all have thoughts that we do not like
And we are suppose to resist them and make our bodies submit to the obedience of Christ
It is hard and gets tough sometimes, but you must keep believing in HIM
He has not left you and HE will never leave you or forsake you
HE loves you more than you could ever love yourself
The bible says resist the devil and he will flee from you
I would say JESUS outloud when it happens and claim the blood of Jesus
Put on some praise and worship music, meditate on Gods word
Using the internet play the audible bible such as Thebiblegateway.com
Let it get into your mind and saturate you
I have found that when I am idle, thats when things can get bad
So at all times and in whatever you do, always have a strategy
Which is the word of God
he hates the word of God
he hates when you worship God
Start singing uncontrollably whatever comes to your mind
of your love for HIM, thanking HIM and praising HIM
The bible says to put on a garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness
Blessings to you in Jesus name and plzzzzzz NEVER forget HE loves you and will never ever ever leave you :oldthumbsup: :clap:
Definitely, thank you for your words. I need to arm myself with the truth.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes I get those all th3 time, combined with nightmares and insomnia sometimes. Its all a form of OCD, its called Pure O

I have intrusive thoughts and images. I haven't prayed in a while but I'm about to now.

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0

Shawb

Mar 13, 2017
Connecticut
✟31,365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I get those all th3 time, combined with nightmares and insomnia sometimes. Its all a form of OCD, its called Pure O

I have intrusive thoughts and images. I haven't prayed in a while but I'm about to now.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for you. We both gotta hold on deliverance will come.

Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟42,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to get panic attacks. But one day, I realized it was a spirit of fear.
So, I went to the Word for ammunition against what I was afraid of.
For fear that someone was breaking in the house at night (I used to lie in bed, stiff with fright, for hours, unable to go to sleep, listening to every tiny sound) I would quote Psalms 4:8 over and over, until sleep came. I refused to think. Instead, I substituted the Word for the lie of fear. And do you know God delivered me from that anxiety? It's gone.

Other panic attacks would hit me... fear my husband was killed (as my daddy was when I was a baby) on the way home from work. But I found Scriptures, and used them as my sword against that spirit of fear.

And it always works. It's a battle not won overnight, but it CAN be won, with the Word!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your advice, I've been trying to memorize scriptures. I've got some down but I try to remember the overall gist of certain stories. I've also been looking at this website:Treating religious obsessive compulsive disorder (scrupulosity) Easy Christian alternative to cognitive-behavioral therapy. I have found it really helpful and I have been talking to my pastor who feels the same. I guess I feel so ashamed that its in my head.
Try reading Philippians 4

Upvote 0

Solid25

Jul 10, 2018
Titusville
✟21,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys I know this thread is a over year old but any chance I could join in?. I struggle alot with OCD I think and most of it is realtied to my faith. I too am not sure if what I'm thinking is from me, the devil, or OCD and I've been at my wit's end trying to figure things out.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Sounds like OCD to me but I'm no psychologist. I just know I see a counselor for OCD and anxiety and depression and take meds .I used to only have anxiety and depression and then I started having off symptoms like pure o stuff random fears and intrusive unwanted thoughts. OCD is by far the worst imo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums