Student charged with carrying weapons at S.C. high school

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Sister Of Charleston Shooter Dylann Roof Arrested After Menacing Social Media Post
The younger sister of convicted mass murderer Dylann Roof — who gunned down nine parishioners at a Charleston, S.C., church in 2015 — was arrested Wednesday on drug and weapons charges after she posted a disturbing message on social media.

Morgan Roof, 18, a student at AC Flora High School in Columbia, was charged with one count of marijuana possession and two counts of carrying a weapon on school grounds, the Richland County Sheriff's Department said, describing the weapons as a knife and pepper spray, according to The State newspaper.

It appears that one cultural group is engaging in this type of behavior more often these days with tragic results. It would not be surprised if their cultural views of others that do not look like them play a major role in it. It is surely a cultural influence that is widespread.

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
It appears that one cultural group is engaging in this type of behavior more often these days with tragic results. It would not be surprised if their cultural views of others that do not look like them play a major role in it. It is surely a cultural influence that is widespread.
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the majority culture of a nation is responsible for the majority of any particular kind of behavior.

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It shouldn't surprise anyone that the majority culture of a nation is responsible for the majority of any particular kind of behavior.
This particular behavior is rather emblematic of this culture, their status as majority or minority of the population does not matter.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This particular behavior is rather emblematic of this culture, their status as majority or minority of the population does not matter.

And what culture would that be?

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, it does. If we were talking about a smaller culture, it would be more concerning because that signals a significant problem. If we're talking about a larger culture, those who aren't engaging in these things far outnumber those who do, so people doing this would be the exception and not the rule.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Yes, it does. If we were talking about a smaller culture, it would be more concerning because that signals a significant problem. If we're talking about a larger culture, those who aren't engaging in these things far outnumber those who do, so people doing this would be the exception and not the rule.
I never said anything about a smaller or larger culture, I'm talking about the single culture from where these problems clearly arise. From my experience, even if most of that culture do not engage in that behavior, their culture teaches sympathy for that behavior, hence it flourishes.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I never said anything about a smaller or larger culture, I'm talking about the single culture from where these problems clearly arise. From my experience, even if most of that culture do not engage in that behavior, their culture teaches sympathy for that behavior, hence it flourishes.
That's just your experience, and many people have different experiences than you. For example, I've yet to meet anyone who says, "Yeah, it's OK to bring weapons and drugs to school" or "Don't worry if your classmates do that", and I've yet to meet anyone claiming, "It's fine to post stuff like that on social media".

And the size of the culture needs to be considered, because if a population of twenty people has five people in it doing these things, then there's legitimate concern- but if out of a culture of a few hundred million, less than a hundred of them are doing it, then there's no basis for the claim that the behavior is "emblematic" of that culture.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Lol indeed...

20% in High Schools Found to Carry Weapons

It appears that young Latino kids bring the most weapons to school...then blacks...then whites...

So what cultural problems exist in the Latino and black communities? And how can we at least get them down to the level where the white community is?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

How do you think we can fix these problems in the Latino community?

Obviously, you weren't talking about white females...with maybe the exception of Asians, they bring the least number of weapons to school regularly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
That's just your experience, and many people have different experiences than you. For example, I've yet to meet anyone who says, "Yeah, it's OK to bring weapons and drugs to school" or "Don't worry if your classmates do that", and I've yet to meet anyone claiming, "It's fine to post stuff like that on social media".

And the size of the culture needs to be considered, because if a population of twenty people has five people in it doing these things, then there's legitimate concern- but if out of a culture of a few hundred million, less than a hundred of them are doing it, then there's no basis for the claim that the behavior is "emblematic" of that culture.
But I am not referring to the weapons or drugs. When it comes to drugs, all groups use drugs at the same rate. And I'm not discussing weapons, which you can't assess due to different levels of scrutiny for different groups. The ideology and how those views are expressed represent a culture that finds those attitudes acceptable and is clearly a problem within these communities.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
But I am not referring to the weapons or drugs. When it comes to drugs, all groups use drugs at the same rate. And I'm not discussing weapons, which you can't assess due to different levels of scrutiny for different groups. The ideology and how those views are expressed represent a culture that finds those attitudes acceptable and is clearly a problem within these communities.

Stop dancing around the bush and say what culture you mean.

• Agree
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
What ideology are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Stop dancing around the bush and say what culture you mean.

I've got no clue...there's references to her being upset about the school walkouts...but that's far too vague to attach her to any ideology.

I thought this was about the problem of students bringing guns and weapons to school...apparently not.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some weed, a knife and pepper spray? Really? You can grab just about any high school student at random and expect to find at least one of those three things on them.

This is hardly a story. If her brother weren't a mass murderer and if we didn't glorify and make mass murderers into celebrities, this wouldn't be a story at all.

• Winner
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some weed, a knife and pepper spray? Really? You can grab just about any high school student at random and expect to find at least one of those three things on them.

This is hardly a story. If her brother weren't a mass murderer and if we didn't glorify and make mass murderers into celebrities, this wouldn't be a story at all.

You nailed it...this is all pretty minor. I wouldn't even be surprised if the pepper spray and knife were because she's bullied at school over her brother.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You nailed it...this is all pretty minor. I wouldn't even be surprised if the pepper spray and knife were because she's bullied at school over her brother.
Yeah, some weed wouldn't hurt either.

I hate the thought of putting her brother's horrible crime on her because she got caught with some pot at school and that makes the national news these days. Poor kid's probably gone through a lot since then.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, some weed wouldn't hurt either.

I hate the thought of putting her brother's horrible crime on her because she got caught with some pot at school and that makes the national news these days. Poor kid's probably gone through a lot since then.

You had it right on your first post though...Any other kid and we wouldn't even have heard of it.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You had it right on your first post though...Any other kid and we wouldn't even have heard of it.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Not her having pot being the newsworthy part, just who she's related to.

Upvote 0