Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God. Matthew 19:24

I’ve been a Christian around 10 and a half weeks and today I’m really struggling with this scripture.

is it bad to be rich? I personally give a fair bit of money to charity every month and quite frankly I would like to have more money than I currently have.

Do I want to be super rich? No but definitely I’d like to be comfortable and have a good lifestyle where I could afford nice holidays and a car and a nice house and these sorts of things.

I’ve always thought that the more I earn the more I will donate to charity. So every one is a winner right?

I hate the idea that rich people can’t get into heaven. Also how much money does a person have to have to be considered rich? When does comfortable become rich?

I’ve read the full story of the rich young man in Matthew 19 for context but still struggle.

What is your take on Matthew 19:16-30 and more specifically Matthew 19:24?

Finally I gotta say my grandfather died rich and he was a lovely man (and a believer) so Id hate to think he didn’t goto heaven.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarah G

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God. Matthew 19:24

I’ve been a Christian around 10 and a half weeks and today I’m really struggling with this scripture.

is it bad to be rich? I personally give a fair bit of money to charity every month and quite frankly I would like to have more money than I currently have.

Do I want to be super rich? No but definitely I’d like to be comfortable and have a good lifestyle where I could afford nice holidays and a car and a nice house and these sorts of things.

I’ve always thought that the more I earn the more I will donate to charity. So every one is a winner right?

I hate the idea that rich people can’t get into heaven. Also how much money does a person have to have to be considered rich? When does comfortable become rich?

I’ve read the full story of the rich young man in Matthew 19 for context but still struggle.

Thanks in advance

It is not an absolute. It was a test of the rich man. Notice that he simply turned and walked away. Compare him now to Zachaeus of Luke 19. An "exceedingly" rich man who gave half his wealth to the poor. He only gave away half but was still seen as fit.

The bible is written as a narrative not a checklist. Different lessons are taught in different ways.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Finally I gotta say my grandfather died rich and he was a lovely man (and a believer) so Id hate to think he didn’t goto heaven.

Thanks in advance

The context of Jesus teaching there is for the nation of Israel, Daniel's 69th week is coming and every Jew was expecting the Tribulation to begin for them very soon.

When you know the mark of the beast is looming near, it will be foolish indeed to have lots of money with you. You will be tempted to take the mark in order to remain in the economic system, and will forfeit any hope of salvation if you do that.

That is why Jesus commanded the little flock to "sell all they have" (Luke 12:33), and the early Jewish church did that in Acts 4:32 too.

But for us now in the dispensation of grace, Paul taught us the relevant money wisdom in 1 Timothy 6:5-19. That is the scripture you should take as doctrine for you.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks in advance
I can make this simple for you. Anything that you hold to have a higher value than God keeps you from having the best possible relationship with God. So those who worship money cannot truly and completely worship God, same message Jesus gave to the young rich man, sell what you have, in other words get rid of you attachment to the things of wealth so you can have a real relationship with God.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Thanks in advance
You can fit through, the money bag is too fat.

Lesson learned: be willing to let go.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I hate the idea that rich people can’t get into heaven.
No one is excluded by the Rich Young Ruler Narrative:
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished,
saying, “Who then can be saved?”
26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them,
“With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

The Path of the Wealthy Becomes the Path of Sorrow for most who pursue it.
Consider this full quote of Paul, that the church and the world quote in paraphrase:
"the love of money is the root of all evil".

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all evil, for which
some have strayed from the faith in their greediness,
and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

When the Lord said that man cannot serve both God and mammon,
He left with each of us the task of "considering the cost".
Some go all in,
like John and James who stood up from their father's
fishing nets and walked away to follow the Lord. Could that have been a scandal?

"Did you hear what those sons of Zebedee pulled on him! Walked away in the
middle of work to join a cult!"

No one can define your commitment, that is for you to
"work out your salvation, in fear and trembling"
You absolutely must find your purpose in Christ, to make
your election sure.
Grace without Purpose is easily lead astray.

2 Timothy 1:9 Who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according
to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given
to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

Find Your Entrance
2 Peter 1:
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure,
for if you do these things you will never stumble;
11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom
of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Servant78

Mar 4, 2022
Bali
✟31,644.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 6:6-12 says be content and end your endless craving for money.

Its nothing wrong to be rich like Job as he was not blinded by wordly pleasures that money can buy. Most people fail to live Holy when they become rich.

God made Solomon very rich but Solomon ended up in sins and rebellion worshipping devils.

Therefore as Paul said be content will end your endless desires.

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
is it bad to be rich?
What matters is how we are about how much we have.

"be content with such things as you have" > in Hebrews 13:5.

"But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition." (1 Timothy 6:9)

So, here Paul says that having the desire is a problem. Maybe it is like how Jesus says if a man desires a woman for immorality, then already he is in trouble.

And there are things which someone can be desiring, by desiring to be rich. Ones want money so they can have control and pleasures. So, I see how ones can be in trouble for desiring control and pleasure, even if they are not rich and might not desire to be.

And ones can use people for what they want. They might not use a lot of money, but they can use people. And I would say love does not have us only using anyone, but we with Jesus love any and all people, with hope for anyone to be our family in Christ.

We care more about the person, than we care about what we might use him or her to get.

So, Jesus has His love meaning for what He says to us. He does not want us only to worry about what could happen to our own selves if we have money > He wants us to find out how to love.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Lenno

Jan 4, 2022
Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not an absolute. It was a test of the rich man. Notice that he simply turned and walked away. Compare him now to Zachaeus of Luke 19. An "exceedingly" rich man who gave half his wealth to the poor. He only gave away half but was still seen as fit.

The bible is written as a narrative not a checklist. Different lessons are taught in different ways.
Thankyou for this message I found it very helpful

Upvote 0

Lenno

Jan 4, 2022
Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I find this an interesting statement, but I don’t understand what you mean.

would you kindly clarify please

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lenno

Jan 4, 2022
Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The context of Jesus teaching there is for the nation of Israel, Daniel's 69th week is coming and every Jew was expecting the Tribulation to begin for them very soon.

Forgive me my ignorance but what is Daniels 69th week and is this mentioned in the bible somewhere?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me my ignorance but what is Daniels 69th week and is this mentioned in the bible somewhere?

You can google but this picture sums it up.

70th_week_chart_sm.gif

Upvote 0

Lenno

Jan 4, 2022
Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one is excluded by the Rich Young Ruler Narrative:
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished,
saying, “Who then can be saved?”
26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them,
“With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

The Path of the Wealthy Becomes the Path of Sorrow for most who pursue it.
Consider this full quote of Paul, that the church and the world quote in paraphrase:
"the love of money is the root of all evil".

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all evil, for which
some have strayed from the faith in their greediness,
and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

When the Lord said that man cannot serve both God and mammon,
He left with each of us the task of "considering the cost".
Some go all in,
like John and James who stood up from their father's
fishing nets and walked away to follow the Lord. Could that have been a scandal?

"Did you hear what those sons of Zebedee pulled on him! Walked away in the
middle of work to join a cult!"

No one can define your commitment, that is for you to
"work out your salvation, in fear and trembling"
You absolutely must find your purpose in Christ, to make
your election sure.
Grace without Purpose is easily lead astray.

2 Timothy 1:9 Who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according
to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given
to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

Find Your Entrance
2 Peter 1:
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure,
for if you do these things you will never stumble;
11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom
of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Thankyou for the reply

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Lenno

Jan 4, 2022
Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Timothy 6:6-12 says be content and end your endless craving for money.

Its nothing wrong to be rich like Job as he was not blinded by wordly pleasures that money can buy. Most people fail to live Holy when they become rich.

God made Solomon very rich but Solomon ended up in sins and rebellion worshipping devils.

Therefore as Paul said be content will end your endless desires.
Thankyou and God bless for your response

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lenno

Jan 4, 2022
Cheshire
✟27,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What matters is how we are about how much we have.

"be content with such things as you have" > in Hebrews 13:5.

"But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition." (1 Timothy 6:9)

So, here Paul says that having the desire is a problem. Maybe it is like how Jesus says if a man desires a woman for immorality, then already he is in trouble.

And there are things which someone can be desiring, by desiring to be rich. Ones want money so they can have control and pleasures. So, I see how ones can be in trouble for desiring control and pleasure, even if they are not rich and might not desire to be.

And ones can use people for what they want. They might not use a lot of money, but they can use people. And I would say love does not have us only using anyone, but we with Jesus love any and all people, with hope for anyone to be our family in Christ.

We care more about the person, than we care about what we might use him or her to get.

So, Jesus has His love meaning for what He says to us. He does not want us only to worry about what could happen to our own selves if we have money > He wants us to find out how to love.
I
Thankyou for the reply. May God bless you

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Believer000

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Feb 23, 2018
Coventry
✟25,222.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks in advance

That verse is describing rich unbelievers. The super rich tend be heathens because the world is their playground. Its rare for a man as rich as Jeff Bezos to be a man of the Lord. They love money more than anything else and this is why its hard for them to know God.

Upvote 0