Prosper
✟19,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been struggling with my faith. I have been having doubts flood my mind about my faith, the bible, and God. This has never happened before and I'm scared that this will lead me to unbelief. I don't want to go to the point of no return. Doubts hit me like
"How do you know you truly believe this"
"How can you know if you don't feel it"
"How do you know you are truly saved"
"Do you really trust in Christ and the cross?"
"How do you know reading this bible will help you"
"You have gone too far"
"You committed the unforgivable sin"

These are taking a toll on me and I don't want to commit any sin that God won't forgive or be separated from God forever. What can I do? Did God leave me? Did he take the Holy Spirit away? I don't feel their presence and I don't know what to do.

I want to believe but I don't know how or what to do. Please, someone, help me.
Is there still hope for me or did I already blow it? I feel hopeless
Does God still want me even though I feel like I lost Him forever? Why am I doubting? Are these my thoughts? Are these what I truly believe? I have never had this problem before. Why now :pensive:

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been struggling with my faith. I have been having doubts flood my mind about my faith, the bible, and God. This has never happened before and I'm scared that this will lead me to unbelief. I don't want to go to the point of no return. Doubts hit me like
"You have gone too far"

These are taking a toll on me and I don't want to commit any sin that God won't forgive or be separated from God forever. What can I do? Did God leave me? Did he take the Holy Spirit away? I don't feel their presence and I don't know what to do.

Does God still want me even though I feel like I lost Him forever? Why am I doubting? Are these my thoughts? Are these what I truly believe? I have never had this problem before. Why now :pensive:
I usually resort to these promises when assailed. You may prefer other promises...

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
(Joh 5:24)

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
(Rom 5:10)

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"You have gone too far"

1. We don't go by our feelings but by what we know.

2. Satan loves it when we feel doubt and hopelessness.

3. Read the story of the Prodigal Son.
Luke 15:11-32

4. God never leaves you for as long as you want Him.

5. Trust God.

Upvote 0

sunflower14444

May 15, 2020
Prosper
✟19,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
1. We don't go by our feelings but by what we know.

2. Satan loves it when we feel doubt and hopelessness.

3. Read the story of the Prodigal Son.
Luke 15:11-32

4. God never leaves you for as long as you want Him.

5. Trust God.
Thank you so much for this!

• Friendly
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"You have gone too far"

Lately I have been bombarded with thoughts like "You committed the unforgivable sin" and similar ones. I don't know what the outcome of such thoughts are. Only God knows.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God's promises take precedence over your fears and doubts. He knows you better than you know yourself, so he knows where you're really at, even if you hear thoughts that are against him. And if you do actually sin, confess and repent, and you're good to go.

Upvote 0

sunflower14444

May 15, 2020
Prosper
✟19,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Faith is not about emotions or feelings. It is about knowing God. Christ is our solid foundation and faith based on emotions is like building a house on the sand. It is never stable. Know who you have faith in. Try this book,
The Apostles' Creed: Discovering Authentic Christianity in an Age of Counterfeits
by R. Albert Mohler

I have been learning that a lot lately! That faith isn't a feeling and its taking God at His word. It's a new thing for me so I am often asking questions on how I can see God working through my daily life and through nature. I am trying to read His word and depend on it but I also ask myself how I can do that. Is it okay to feel weird/strange doing this since I have never done this before?

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those are great questions. We can only discover what work God is doing around us when we look for it and ask Him. Sometimes understanding what God's will is for each of our lives is allowing Him to show us what He is doing and then answering His invitation to join in that work. I know that may sound a bit strange but when it happens you will know it. God is always at work and we can be in a state where we do not see it. Even in things we consider negative God is at work and He is revealing it to those whom He would have join Him in it. It is ok to feel weird/strange about this if you have been doing it for your entire life as we are humans and we desire more surety sometimes than what is provided. Therefor we need the faith that only God can give and of the course the insight only He can provide. We also come to realize that while God may be doing a long term work around us that we may involved for only a short period of time. He will let you know either way. Some plant, some water and others may collect the harvest. A lot of paraphrasing there by me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunflower14444

May 15, 2020
Prosper
✟19,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you all for your help through this. It has been better up until today. I feel like I have committed a sin that can't be forgiven because of these thoughts. They aren't saying bad words about God or Jesus. They are much much worse and I keep telling those thoughts no. I have asked God for forgiveness but the whole unpardonable sin thing is coming back up and I don't know if I committed it. My thoughts have been VERY awful and I never want to reject God or Jesus. Yet my thoughts keep saying nasty things like that and I am truly truly scared that when I asked for forgiveness that it was too late for me because I had already committed the unpardonable sin. Then I was rebuking satan and his lies and told him to get out of my room, my house, my head in Jesus name and then I did this about 4 or 5 times but on the last time my words jumbled up and said the enemies name when I was suppose to say Jesus Christ. This is really really getting to me and I don't know if I am forgiven or if I committed the unpardonable sin.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your help through this. It has been better up until today. I feel like I have committed a sin that can't be forgiven because of these thoughts. They aren't saying bad words about God or Jesus. They are much much worse and I keep telling those thoughts no. I have asked God for forgiveness but the whole unpardonable sin thing is coming back up and I don't know if I committed it. My thoughts have been VERY awful and I never want to reject God or Jesus. Yet my thoughts keep saying nasty things like that and I am truly truly scared that when I asked for forgiveness that it was too late for me because I had already committed the unpardonable sin. Then I was rebuking satan and his lies and told him to get out of my room, my house, my head in Jesus name and then I did this about 4 or 5 times but on the last time my words jumbled up and said the enemies name when I was suppose to say Jesus Christ. This is really really getting to me and I don't know if I am forgiven or if I committed the unpardonable sin.

One thing is sure in our spiritual journey: Satan will always work against man (the great "deceiver" ---and especially new seekers after God. Just say: 'Get thee behind me, Satan' and go on thanking and praising the Lord Jesus as Lord of your life, Savior of your soul, and your best Friend in your sojourn here in this life. Remember that one who has received the Lord Jesus is "born again" (as John 3), sealed by the Holy Spirit, and cannot be unborn. Thank our Savior every day! -1watchman

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JTreborn

Jul 3, 2020
Alexandria
✟15,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Sunflower,

Grace and peace to you. I've often struggled with thoughts concerning an unforgivable sin as well. But truly, the fact that you are concerned about whether or not you have committed the unforgivable sin shows that you have a heart that truly desires to please God. I think Christians are in a dangerous position when they lose that desire to please God. A prayer that I frequently prayed when I was in that very same place for God to change my heart, and increase my desire for Him. Another prayer would be to increase my faith. When we have doubts, it is natural to be concerned. After all, Jesus says in John 17:3 "Now this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent". From this, we can see that it is of utmost important to know God and Jesus. If we have doubts, then it is an indication that there is more that we to know and understand. Are there any who can say with 100% confidence that they've obtained salvation? Paul himself wrote that he works diligently and faithfully, pressing on towards the mark so that he does not fall short or lose his qualifications. If the Apostle Paul wrote this, than it shows that we must all be vigilant when it comes to salvation. In Phillipians 2:12, we are also instructed to "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling". One way to overcome this is to join with fellow believer in study and prayer. If you'd like, I can connect you with a study group that really helped me to grow in faith. Just shoot me an email @ jjipamreborn@gmail.com

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"You have gone too far"

Fortunately faith isn't an intellectual exercise, and it's not about how you feel, or what you even think, or even getting all your theological t's crossed and i's dotted. Faith is a supernatural gift from God, a work of God that comes from outside of ourselves, by His grace. Even when you don't feel like you have faith, you have faith, because God promised and gives you faith by the preaching of the Gospel, through the Sacraments. When you were baptized, when you receive the Lord's Supper, these are God's own gracious means through which He quickens you--makes you alive--giving you faith, working faith in you.

Doubt is not the opposite of faith, we are fallible, fragile, broken sinners and so of course we'll have doubts. Of course we won't always feel like we believe, we won't always have all our thoughts and feelings all properly organized all looking clean and pure and all that. We're going to be fumbling along, falling, failing, breaking down. That's just what this life looks like.

But what we have from God is His word and promise that He loves us, that He saves us, that we belong to Jesus Christ. Not by anything you or I have done, but by what Christ Himself has done, by what God has done and continues to do for us in our lives as pure grace, as pure gift.

When you fall, confess that you've fallen. Don't hide from your failure, don't hide from your sin, don't hide from your struggle--confess that you're a sinner, confess that you're a beggar before God. Because that's most certainly true. And then hear what God speaks to you, His Gospel, that Christ came to save sinners, that Christ came to call not the righteous, but the unrighteous to repentance. That Christ the Great Physician is for you and me, sinners.

Christ is for us, the broken, the destitute, the spiritually small and insignificant. Let us never boast in ourselves, but only boast in the cross of Jesus Christ and the grace and kindness of God. Trust in Him and His word to you. Trust in Jesus who saves you in spite of you.

What you are experiencing is called being a Christian, it's called being a disciple of Jesus Christ.

There are many who would try and claim that if you have doubt then you don't have faith. Don't listen to them, listen to Christ instead. There are many who would claim that they are no longer sinners, they would rather pretend to be righteous than to admit that they are poor destitute beggars in need of God's loving-kindness which is freely ours in Jesus Christ. Because the will of man is full of pride and ego, because the opinion of sinful man is that he can be righteous if he just tries hard enough or pretends hard enough.

But be honest, confess that you are a sinner. Believe in the Gospel, God loves you, Christ died for you, and He has your back, now and forever.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
"You have gone too far"

Having doubts can be a good thing because it encourages you to dig deeper in order to find answers, which can lead to having a stronger faith than before you started having doubts. The thing about unforgivable sins is that the person committing them is not concerned with whether they have committed it, so if you are concerned, then you have not committed it. Unforgivable sins are unforgivable because they cut us off from our means of being forgiven, not because we can't repent. For example, Jesus said that if we don't forgiven others, then we will not be forgiven, so unforgiveness is also an unforgivable sins because it cuts us off from our means for being forgiven, not because we can't repent of our unforgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rugged Cross

Jun 18, 2020
Orkney Islands
✟13,678.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
Every Christian at one time or another has doubts and continues to do throughout their lives. This happens especially when a time crisis happens or prayer is not exactly how you wish. I agree with other people on this forum read scriptures (but not every moment of the day, even God wants you to have a life, prayer, mix with other Christians, but do not forget the friends/family who are not Christians. Just try to live the Christian way, even in your moments of doubt God still has love and faith in you - God Bless.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"You have gone too far"

Hi Sunflower,

It is good to know that you don’t want to be separated from God forever!

When many doubts harass your mind, you can submit yourself to God and resist the devil in the name of Jesus Christ.

There is power in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Pray this short prayer again and again when
harassing doubtful thoughts come to your mind:

Lord Jesus Christ,
I submit myself to God. I resist the devil in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

When you draw near God through prayer wholeheartedly, He will draw near You.
Remember not the other way around.

Those harassing thoughts you have will certainly disappear.

GBU

Upvote 0