Sticky thread for Baptist/Anabaptist FAQs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
So as not to sidetrack another thread, I begin this new one with a quote from one of our esteemed moderators:
RED that's ME said:
As for the stickys go it really depends on the subject. We do sometimes get requests for stickys that are not needed and if we do sticky everything members ask sometimes the first page could very well be full with them. Also many times members don't read stickys like they should and ignore them.
Staff also gets complaints at times for how many stickys are in some forums.

As for getting something sticky a member would need to contact a staff member from that forum and the staff will discuss and decide whether it is warranted it or not. No harm in asking. :angel:

Right now, there are handful of threads that address FAQs, especially about Anabaptists and Quakers, what they have in common with Baptists and what distinguishes them from Baptists, as well as what denominations are included in each category. Now that we have a few Brethren who post here regularly, the same questions could be addressed regarding Brethren denominations.

There also could be a list of denominations. For example, I have often said that everything shared by Baptists, Anabaptists, Quakers and Brethren are also shared by the Scandinavian free churches - Covenant and Evangelical Free, but most of them post in Non-Denom because their denominations aren't listed in the forum description.

My reason for starting this thread is to give some thought to what should be included in a sticky thread, before just arbitrarily making one of the old ones sticky.

Here's my proposal:

1) Let's brainstorm here a little bit about what should be in a sticky thread that would answer these FAQs before creating one.

2) Let's compile a "best of" list of posts and threads.

3) After thinking about it in terms of what should be "sticky," we can create a new thread with all the important info. Some may be new, and some may be borrowed from the older threads.

Here are a few of the old threads we could draw from:

http://www.christianforums.com/t714849-baptists-and-anabaptists.html

http://www.christianforums.com/t713286-baptistanabaptist-beliefs.html

http://www.christianforums.com/t791206-what-are-anabaptists.html

http://www.christianforums.com/t682397-baptist-mennonite-and-quaker.html

http://www.christianforums.com/t673242-baptist-amish-mennonites-and-quakers.html

http://www.christianforums.com/t1035514-what-is-anabaptist.html

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

Dark Angel

Oct 28, 2004
Delaware
✟202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally, as far as Anabaptist FAQ's, I think we should include the Scheithelm Confession. I'd be more than happy to help with the FAQ's, as I have grown up in an area with lots of Mennonite and Amish. I only became Mennonite little over a year ago, but I have an in depth understanding of Anabaptist theology and practice as well as the differences between the groups.

Many folk have no idea what anabaptists are, much less the difference between Mennonite, Amish, and Hutterites, as well as the differences in those groups(Old Order Amish and Mennonites, Beachy Amish, Conservative Mennonite, Mennonite USA, EPMC, etc.).

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Dark Angel said:
Many folk have no idea what anabaptists are, much less the difference between Mennonite, Amish, and Hutterites, as well as the differences in those groups(Old Order Amish and Mennonites, Beachy Amish, Conservative Mennonite, Mennonite USA, EPMC, etc.).
I'd hate for us to get all tied up in that in an FAQ. It's confusing enough to lifelong anabaptists. We might give a brief listing of the groups, but I don't think it would productive to list all the differences between them. A lot of times, the only separation between one anabaptist group and another is geography anyway.

Upvote 0

Dark Angel

Oct 28, 2004
Delaware
✟202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
lambslove said:
A lot of times, the only separation between one anabaptist group and another is geography anyway.
I disagree, respectfully. There are major differences between Anabaptist groups. The Old-Order Amish for example, drive no vehicles and use no electricity, whereas the Beachy Amish don't really have a problem with it. And then you have the Charismatic Amish that are starting to pop up. Old-Order Amish are the largest group and are found in many states, as well as some foreign countries.
The Hutterites are largely in North America, but also in Japan and Nigeria. They practice communal living, dress plainly, and use electricity and phones. There are three different orders of Hutterites, called 'luets.' Like the Amish, they have largely grown only by reproduction. In North America, there are only about a dozen last names found in the Hutterites.
There are many different branches of Mennonites, Mennonite USA being the most liberal, but the most widespread. Most Mennonites use electricity and automobiles, but the Old Order Mennonites don't. While most Mennonites are CO's, some are okay with self-defense, while others are completely non-resistant. And then you have those who are non-participatory in civil government.
The Swiss Brethren are another group that are fairly interesting. Some don't believe in using medicine to treat themselves, but rely on the power of prayer instead. They are a fairly small sect, and not well known.

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
I think there should be threads/posts that address our doctrines such as..........

What does born again mean?
What is the baptist/ana baptist view on baptism?
What does scriptures say about Eternal Salvation?
How do I know if I am saved or born again?
How do Baptist/Anabaptist pray to God?

I agree with Lambslove. Posting all the differances between them would really confuse someone. i know it confuses me. Maybe a thread that says.....AnaBaptist FAQ, Mennite FAQ, Independent Baptist FAQ, Southern Baptist FAQ...........
All of these could be threads posted in the sticky, that way people can navigate a little better.
GEL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

C.I. Scofield

Nov 13, 2004
Lincoln Park, Michigan
✟290.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
GreenEyedLady said:
I think there should be threads/posts that address our doctrines such as..........

What does born again mean?
What is the baptist/ana baptist view on baptism?
What does scriptures say about Eternal Salvation?
How do I know if I am saved or born again?
How do Baptist/Anabaptist pray to God?

I agree with Lambslove. Posting all the differances between them would really confuse someone. i know it confuses me. Maybe a thread that says.....AnaBaptist FAQ, Mennite FAQ, Independent Baptist FAQ, Southern Baptist FAQ...........
All of these could be threads posted in the sticky, that way people can navigate a little better.
GEL
I dunno if it'll help, But I have a Baptist on confession of faith and a question answer thing on my site:

http://baptistbibleman.home.comcast.net/sof.html

CIS
:preach:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.