Steve Irwin - The Crocdile hunter. R.I.P.

funyun

aude sapere...sed praeterea, aude esse
Feb 14, 2004
Visit site
✟4,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Bye, Mr. Irwin.

I first saw it when I went to the Wikipedia home page, and it just felt surreal, I had to reread it a few times and verify to myself it wasn't April 1st. He was such a ubiquitous icon. Part of what made him the Croc Hunter was he got away with all kinds of stuff that he shouldn't have, and yet I don't think anyone ever seriously considered his job would get the better of him one day.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is pretty obvious that he tooks risks that he should not have taken and he got away with it for a while.

A lot of the reason I am the way I am is because of the people I have seen die. From this I see that when you take a risk you should not take, eventually it will catch up with you. You may get away with it for a while, but you will not get away with it forever.

You do understand that this was a freak occurance and had nothing to do with risk taking whatsoever?

It could have happened to anyone swimming in that area at the time. Although Steve did take risks, they were very calculated and he was very experienced with wildlife. At times I felt that he pushed the envelope but this was not one of those times which makes it even harder I think than if it had been.

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
You do understand that this was a freak occurance and had nothing to do with risk taking whatsoever?

It could have happened to anyone swimming in that area at the time. Although Steve did take risks, they were very calculated and he was very experienced with wildlife. At times I felt that he pushed the envelope but this was not one of those times which makes it even harder I think than if it had been.
Perhaps it speaks well for Steve's expertise. He didn't die at the jaws of crocs, with which he was so familiar. Nor was it snakes. It was a complete, freakish accident. A truely one in a million occurence.

Upvote 0

Opcode42

Aug 19, 2006
✟15,389.00
Faith
Atheist
It is pretty obvious that he tooks risks that he should not have taken and he got away with it for a while.

A lot of the reason I am the way I am is because of the people I have seen die. From this I see that when you take a risk you should not take, eventually it will catch up with you. You may get away with it for a while, but you will not get away with it forever.

Fortunately for humanity there are people out there who are far braver and more inquisitive than you.

Without the Steve Irwins of the world we would not know even half of what we do about our world, the creatures that inhabit it, and ourselves.

Though his methods were often designed to entertain, and his personality always over the top, no one can deny that he brought wildlife back to the public eye again. The work he did in promoting the Austailia Zoo and wildlife conservation efforts alone provide a legacy that will carry on for many years to come.

To Steve, we give you one last "Crikey!" as you wrestle the crocs of the great beyond.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
it is a particularly sad death.
he had a vitality and a zest for science and the natural world that was so obvious that it often came off as humorous and oddly funny.

the other sad part is that he is so uncommon a character that we will probably not see a replacement or another person quite like him in our lifetimes. and that is sad. most of us are replacable clogs and when we lose the few that aren't it decreases the total interestingness of humanity noticable.

where do they make people like this?
how come they don't make more?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dawiyd

Veteran
Apr 2, 2006
✟2,566.00
Faith
Judaism
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Heres the YTMND tribute
b74d1368a9858018abf3c1a2a80610f2sl8.gif

WITH SOUND

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I was shocked and saddened when I saw the first reports of his death scrawling on CNN early Monday morning. As details of how unlikely this was to happen became availible they made it all that much more sad.

G'day Steve.

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I was shocked and saddened when I saw the first reports of his death scrawling on CNN early Monday morning. As details of how unlikely this was to happen became availible they made it all that much more sad.

G'day Steve.
Yeah, it's just amazing that with all of the insane stuff he did, he gets killed by such a freak accident. I didn't watch him much, but what little I did watch was always entertaining.

Upvote 0