Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A terrible thing happened in my family and involved two members who are pastors. I feel that something should be done, but others say leave it alone as I have done all I could. How far do you go with things that occurred in front of you and were evil?

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Off the top, to a lesser degree the same day in, day out; trusting the Lord for response towards each as specifics often-times sets the course.

But if in general, yes, bearing another's burdens can get involved. I would advise against treading deep when unlawfulness has introduced itself. In all, maintain godliness, wisdom-honor-help.

Hope it works out well for all. :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's a very good question. I would definitely pray that the people involved would repent! I'm not sure about the whole situation, but here's a verse that might help:

Ephesians 5
11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A terrible thing happened in my family and involved two members who are pastors. I feel that something should be done, but others say leave it alone as I have done all I could. How far do you go with things that occurred in front of you and were evil?
Eph. 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

If what was done needs to be known by those over them, then tell those who should Be notified.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
With some amount of detail you say I might be able to say an amount of detail how I expect I'd act.
But people are different and someone righteous should be able to help in spiritual matters, having fellowship with other righteous.
If they're sinful I might not begin to speak as much about outer things and tell you to find remission of sin and for them to.
What use is a church if all it does is advise in the same heart that causes this carnal strife?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Calling people out in the midst of a heated and extended feud can be very unwise. A friend of mine did that unwisely, and he was literally disowned for it. It took years to begin to repair that rift. Done truly wisely, it can be necessary and healing, but done poorly, it leads to nothing good. And I don't know of anyone who sets out to do something like that poorly.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The wisdom of man is foolishness compared to God's...how does it go again...maybe you remember the verse

If you say the right words but undo it by being all fake it's useless...I could quote Scripture and make good things happen while people I've been around try to act all holy and it works on the outside for a while so they think I'm foolish for not being invested in such religious practice as if people are so wise I should imitate them and not be spiritually minded in the Word

Get disowned...or not. If keeping nasty relationships is what you're gonna keep wasting fuel on have at it buddy
At least start a petting zoo so there's enough money to keep feeding them

Upvote 0

WindHund

Prophet of Doom
Jul 1, 2013
USA
✟1,016,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To make this situation a little more clearer as I don't want to identify the guilty ones ... it involves the trading of an elderly man in exchange for keeping defamatory information secret. It was a very hostile family situation. The man was fully aware of what was happening to him, but disabled enough to state he had no wish to be taken by the extortioners. He was put into a nursing home. Two pastors gave in and gave him up.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To make this situation a little more clearer as I don't want to identify the guilty ones ... it involves the trading of an elderly man in exchange for keeping defamatory information secret. It was a very hostile family situation. The man was fully aware of what was happening to him, but disabled enough to state he had no wish to be taken by the extortioners. He was put into a nursing home. Two pastors gave in and gave him up.
You call the police. If you know a crime was committed and you say and do nothing, then you are an accessory to a crime.

• Agree
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

WindHund

Prophet of Doom
Jul 1, 2013
USA
✟1,016,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You call the police. If you know a crime was committed and you say and do nothing, then you are an accessory to a crime.

I have been to the police, judges, boards of professional licensing, and no one cares about an old man. He was removed to another state and the judge didn't think we could go after him. I do believe the victim in this may be too fragile to be removed and brought back home.

I am interested at this point about the pastors who did this. Nothing I could say prior to the "sale" helped including the verse in the Bible about "I have not given you a spirit of fear, but of ..."

I am aware about the accessory issue, which is why I go on. Not too mention there are plenty of Bible texts about protecting the rights of the vulnerable. It is the worst situation I have been in in my life. I go somewhat slowly so as to not get carried away with my own emotions but stick to the ethics of the situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have been to the police, judges, boards of professional licensing, and no one cares about an old man. He was removed to another state and the judge didn't think we could go after him. I do believe the victim in this may be too fragile to be removed and brought back home.

I am interested at this point about the pastors who did this. Nothing I could say prior to the "sale" helped including the verse in the Bible about "I have not given you a spirit of fear, but of ..."

I am aware about the accessory issue, which is why I go on. Not too mention there are plenty of Bible texts about protecting the rights of the vulnerable. It is the worst situation I have been in in my life. I go somewhat slowly so as to not get carried away with my own emotions but stick to the ethics of the situation.

Do what you KNOW God is prompting you to do.

Nothing else matters.

You are correct about the many many Bible verses about defending, speaking up, and rescuing those who are headed for destruction, and to rescue the powerless from evil oppressers.

Pray about this.

“The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.” ~Oswald Chambers

Last edited:
Reactions: WindHund
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

The way you worded things made it a bit difficult...'cause I was wondering a bit about the elderly gentleman being traded and what was he traded for? or are you saying that the two ministers who are his family members colluded to put the elderly into a nursing home so to get his money?

So, it come down to being that the elderly gentleman was placed in a nursing home and that he is in fact too fragile to be returned home?
You have done what you could and as the police, judges and board of professional
licensing have concluded, nothing is to be done since the elderly gentleman is
too fragile to be returned home.

Although it may seem the two minister have won, they haven't... God will deal with them if they have done wrong/been false... I've been witness to many
ministers/religious leaders being corrected by the Lord...first starting way back in biblical times on up to this day and time.
The same can be said about erring believers being rightly corrected by the Lord. It'd be wonderful if they'd all make sincere repentance before the Lord now....however, if they continue on in they sin the law of the harvest stands,
they will reap from what they have sown.

Upvote 0

WindHund

Prophet of Doom
Jul 1, 2013
USA
✟1,016,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
'cause I was wondering a bit about the elderly gentleman being traded and what was he traded for? or are you saying that the two ministers who are his family members colluded to put the elderly into a nursing home so to get his money?

So, it come down to being that the elderly gentleman was placed in a nursing home and that he is in fact too fragile to be returned home?

I am saying that the elderly gentleman was traded for silence on the part of the blackmailer to not release defamatory information which was a mix of true and false information. Those getting possession of the man are the ones who put him in a nursing home. He was happy where he was and well cared for and stated over and over for months he did not want to go with the people who took him. The ministers "sold" him for silence.

The fragile part is trickier to explain. He ended up in a hospital for several weeks and physically is too weak for anyone to fight for guardianship anymore and the courts are reluctant anyway because he has been take to another state. I would at this time fear to attempt bringing him home where he wants to be as he may be too weak to make the trip. The ones who have taken him also don't share reliable info as to his condition.

He should not have been "sold" to begin with. Hope this makes it clearer.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I am saying that the elderly gentleman was traded for silence on the part of the blackmailer to not release defamatory information which was a mix of true and false information. Those getting possession of the man are the ones who put him in a nursing home. He was happy where he was and well cared for and stated over and over for months he did not want to go with the people who took him. The ministers "sold" him for silence.

The fragile part is trickier to explain. He ended up in a hospital for several weeks and physically is too weak to fight for anyone to fight for guardianship anymore and the courts are reluctant anyway because he has been take to another state. I would at this time fear to attempt bringing him home where he wants to be as he may be too weak to make the trip. The ones who have taken him also don't share reliable info as to his condition.

He should not have been "sold" to begin with. Hope this makes it clearer.

I agree.

Praying.

Upvote 0

WindHund

Prophet of Doom
Jul 1, 2013
USA
✟1,016,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.” ~Oswald Chambers

Thank you for the Chambers quote.

I found this verse of which Bible translation it is I can't find, "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, and for the rights of all who are vulnerable." (Proverbs 31:8)

I have prayed much about this and it seems the only answer I get so far is not to do nothing.

If it was misdeeds towards me, then I would find a reason to not do anything. This would be in accordance with the "turn the other cheek" type of response. You should not return evil for evil. But when it is a family member that has been somewhere in your life for nearly all of it, it is hard to see it happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for the Chambers quote.

I found this verse of which Bible translation it is I can't find, "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, and for the rights of all who are vulnerable."

I have prayed much about this and it seems the only answer I get so far is not to do nothing.

If it was misdeeds towards me, then I would find a reason to not do anything. This would be in accordance with the "turn the other cheek" type of response. You should not return evil for evil. But when it is a family member that has been somewhere in your life for nearly all of it, it is hard to see it happen.

Again, do as God prompts you to, after praying.

There are many many similar Bible verses about defending and speaking out for the defenseless, who are in the hands of evil and/or headed for destruction. God hates evil done to the innocent and helpless.

It is written as one of the seven things that God hates.

Praying.

Upvote 0