San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Guns don’t kill people, people kill people with them. If we had less and the penalty for owning one was greater, gun deaths would plummet. Look at the population to gun death ratio in countries like Japan and England.

the problem is murderers not guns. We have to solve the murderer problem

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Guns don’t kill people, people kill people with them. If we had less and the penalty for owning one was greater, gun deaths would plummet. Look at the population to gun death ratio in countries like Japan and England.

the problem is murderers not guns. We have to solve the murderer problem
I agree that guns are not the problem. Things like gang violence are the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
gang violence
There is the matter of why someone is shot. Are victims of shootings doing illegal things which provoke other criminals to shoot them?

It might be interesting to see how many victims are legally innocent. And how many shootings are in self defense?
36,000 firearm related deaths
Does this include police action which is justified? And does this include accidental gun related deaths, and suicides?

Then we can go on to discuss how many cars there are, and how many automobile related deaths there have been for the same time period.

And how many cell phones are connected with distracted driver deaths?

It seems no one is saying to outlaw cell phones. But they expect that cell phone users can be taught how to drive safely.

But it seems there are people who do not think people can be taught to safely use guns.

Which is more dangerous, a person with a gun in the woods, who does not learn how to use a gun safely . . . or a person with a car or truck surrounded by other drivers, who does not learn how to drive safely?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Statistically guns are not the problem. Out of 393,347,000 firearms in the US, there are only 36,000 firearm related deaths, and that's only less than .1%. Thoughts?
People are very poor aims and most bullets impacts don't kill.

Most of those guns are in collections.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is the matter of why someone is shot. Are victims of shootings doing illegal things which provoke other criminals to shoot them?

It might be interesting to see how many victims are legally innocent. And how many shootings are in self defense?
Does this include police action which is justified? And does this include accidental gun related deaths, and suicides?

Then we can go on to discuss how many cars there are, and how many automobile related deaths there have been for the same time period.

And how many cell phones are connected with distracted driver deaths?

It seems no one is saying to outlaw cell phones. But they expect that cell phone users can be taught how to drive safely.

But it seems there are people who do not think people can be taught to safely use guns.

Which is more dangerous, a person with a gun in the woods, who does not learn how to use a gun safely . . . or a person with a car or truck surrounded by other drivers, who does not learn how to drive safely?
Good questions, i don't know. About the comparison with car deaths, i agree but the opposition would say cars are necessary and guns are not. Of course they are wrong. Guns are necessary for hunting, self defense, and to maintain our civil liberties, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There are more bladed weapon attacks than rifle attacks in the US. Just another fact to ad to your post.

Will we ever be safe?

uk-knife-control.jpg

The Office for National Statistics revealed that there were 13,613 offences of “assault with injury or intent to cause serious harm” in the year to the end of June this year, a rise of 1,788 from the previous year.

In London, there was a 20 per cent rise in attempted murder and grievous bodily harm offences with a knife. However, overall blade offences in the capital remained almost static, at 9,841.

In England and Wales, there was a nine per cent rise in the number of people caught carrying a knife and a 10 per cent increase in knifepoint rapes and sexual assaults. The growing use of blades led to an overall surge in knife crimes of four per cent with 26,535 offences across England and Wales.

UK Knife Crime Up 15% - The Truth About Knives

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the opposition would say cars are necessary and guns are not.
Now that is just too obvious an argument for me to see, I guess :)

And now ones would say cell phones are necessary :)

I wonder if the car death rate has changed since we have had cell phones. But there could be other factors, at the same time, including how car designs have changed, and safety features.

One source says 37,000 Americans die in crashes, each year. And you say 36,000 are killed by guns. Well, the 37,000 are not killed intentionally!! Wear your seatbelt, don't drive distracted.

Without even trying, then, so many are killed in cars. In order for a gun to kill someone, someone usually has to try!!

I just looked up statistics about auto deaths. The number being killed is not related only to distracted drivers and use of seat belts and other items. But, also, there is the matter of how many miles people are driving. The rate of deaths has gone down, over the decades, even while the billions of miles driven each year has gone up! Even so, the rate per 100,000 people has started to go up, a little, starting in the year 2015 and going through 2018, if I understand correctly; and how much would this rate increase fit with how use of cell phones has been developing????

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Will we ever be safe?

uk-knife-control.jpg

The Office for National Statistics revealed that there were 13,613 offences of “assault with injury or intent to cause serious harm” in the year to the end of June this year, a rise of 1,788 from the previous year.

In London, there was a 20 per cent rise in attempted murder and grievous bodily harm offences with a knife. However, overall blade offences in the capital remained almost static, at 9,841.

In England and Wales, there was a nine per cent rise in the number of people caught carrying a knife and a 10 per cent increase in knifepoint rapes and sexual assaults. The growing use of blades led to an overall surge in knife crimes of four per cent with 26,535 offences across England and Wales.

UK Knife Crime Up 15% - The Truth About Knives
I think if more women carried firearms rape would go down. But thats my opinion.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now that is just too obvious an argument for me to see, I guess :)

And now ones would say cell phones are necessary :)

I wonder if the car death rate has changed since we have had cell phones. But there could be other factors, at the same time, including how car designs have changed, and safety features.

One source says 37,000 Americans die in crashes, each year. And you say 36,000 are killed by guns. Well, the 37,000 are not killed intentionally!! Wear your seatbelt, don't drive distracted.

Without even trying, then, so many are killed in cars. In order for a gun to kill someone, someone usually has to try!!

I just looked up statistics about auto deaths. The number being killed is not related only to distracted drivers and use of seat belts and other items. But, also, there is the matter of how many miles people are driving. The rate of deaths has gone down, over the decades, even while the billions of miles driven each year has gone up! Even so, the rate per 100,000 people has started to go up, a little, starting in the year 2015 and going through 2018, if I understand correctly; and how much would this rate increase fit with how use of cell phones has been developing????
Banning guns wont solve anything. People who propose banning guns are misguided i think. We would still have crime, actually we might have more if you look at violence in gun free zones.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Statistically guns are not the problem. Out of 393,347,000 firearms in the US, there are only 36,000 firearm related deaths, and that's only less than .1%. Thoughts?
That's 36,000 too many. Banning guns totally won't work. However, there are weapons that should only be in the hands of the military. Since Australia outlawed military style weapons, there have been very few mass murders. The death rate by gunshot has reduced to 0.1 per 100,00, down from 0.6 per 100,000 when gun reform was introduced. "Military style" weapons are basically automatic and semi-automatic.

Figures can be misleading. It only takes a gang war to bump them up temporarily. But I'd rather have Australia's problem than that of the USA. Just some common sense would help. Why not background check every gun owner? Violate civil rights? What about the rights of people to go about their business without worrying about being shot? Or sending their kids to school and wondering if they are the next target?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Why not background check every gun owner?

Already the case with all legal gun owners. Criminals don't submit to background checks; unless they're in handcuffs.

What about the rights of people to go about their business without worrying about being shot? Or sending their kids to school and wondering if they are the next target?

You've been reading too much left wing news.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's 36,000 too many. Banning guns totally won't work. However, there are weapons that should only be in the hands of the military. Since Australia outlawed military style weapons, there have been very few mass murders. The death rate by gunshot has reduced to 0.1 per 100,00, down from 0.6 per 100,000 when gun reform was introduced. "Military style" weapons are basically automatic and semi-automatic.

Figures can be misleading. It only takes a gang war to bump them up temporarily. But I'd rather have Australia's problem than that of the USA. Just some common sense would help. Why not background check every gun owner? Violate civil rights? What about the rights of people to go about their business without worrying about being shot? Or sending their kids to school and wondering if they are the next target?
There are more knife attacks than rifle attacks. So whats wrong with a semi auto rifle? They are used for hunting and self defense, and what about semi auto handguns? They are no different than a rifle, just a shorter barrel that can be concealed easier. You wont be able to ban semi auto hand guns and rifles though, so why even suggest it? Maybe you want to ban assault weapons? Why? Statistically knives kill more people and most assault weapons are no more dangerous than other semi autos.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes - America has a gun problem

2010_homicide_suicide_rates_high-income_countries.png
Not a gun problem though, its a problem with crime. Do you blame the car whenever a car accident death occurs? Besides, i already showed that the problem of gun homicides and possibly suicides as well, only effects less than .1% of the population even though we have more guns than most people. So statistically guns are not the problem, crime and suicide is.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
There are more knife attacks than rifle attacks. So whats wrong with a semi auto rifle? They are used for hunting and self defense, and what about semi auto handguns? They are no different than a rifle, just a shorter barrel that can be concealed easier. You wont be able to ban semi auto hand guns and rifles though, so why even suggest it? Maybe you want to ban assault weapons? Why? Statistically knives kill more people and most assault weapons are no more dangerous than other semi autos.
Easy. Semi automatics can kill a lot more people in much less time. Automatics even more so, of course. It's worked in Australia. Sure, knife crime is a serious problem. But that does not change the situation with guns. So far, no one has killed 20 or 30 children with a single knife attack.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Easy. Semi automatics can kill a lot more people in much less time. Automatics even more so, of course. It's worked in Australia. Sure, knife crime is a serious problem. But that does not change the situation with guns. So far, no one has killed 20 or 30 children with a single knife attack.
A person could easily slash multiple victims if he chose. He could even use a sword and that would be very dangerous. BUt if you have a gun you could stop him.

Handguns are more dangerous and kill more people than rifles do, but the liberal gun banners dont want to ban them because they know they cant. They play on ignorance to ban the AR-15.

Upvote 0