State of America

n4omi

Feb 2, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
many people claim to kill in Christ's name, but what does the bible say?

just out of sheer curiosity, what do you mean by this? (not starting/trying to start an argument, i'm just very interested in getting the views of other people on this subject..)

Upvote 0

CoveredByWings

The Warrior Within
Jun 28, 2005
Okinawa JP
✟2,115.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Everyone is of course aware that America isn't based on Christianity? Most of the founding fathers were deists, not theists, and some of them (most notably Jefferson) were very aggressive towards Christianity.

Have any of you heard of the Treaty of Tripoli?

Art. 11. As the Government of the Unites States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

This treaty was ratified by the senate and signed by President John Adams. This was in a day and age when the President signing it was alive during the revolution, and the founding fathers were all still alive. There was no controversy over the treaty when it was signed. We were never formed as a 'Christian nation', but rather as a nation for freedom of religion.

(Yes, I am aware this has been mentioned in the thread. However I want to bring it back up for newcomers to the thread who may not have the time to read through all 24 pages.)

Even if the founding fathers weren't christian it shouldn't really matter because many of the values they instilled were similar to the ones in christian faith. Its just simplied the lack of good values now a days that absolutely disgusts me.

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

Even if the founding fathers weren't christian it shouldn't really matter because many of the values they instilled were similar to the ones in christian faith. Its just simplied the lack of good values now a days that absolutely disgusts me.
To be fair once you take out one true God, only way pretty much every single religion has the same values, Personally I don't see the values in society being any worse than they are at any point in history.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What progress? :scratch:
--The fact that people are more tolerant of others now than they used to be

--The fact that science has come a long way

--The fact that people are actually starting to realize that hatred is a bad thing and that it should not be focused on

How are any of those things not progress?

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
--The fact that people are more tolerant of others now than they used to be

--The fact that science has come a long way

--The fact that people are actually starting to realize that hatred is a bad thing and that it should not be focused on

How are any of those things not progress?
How does any of it yield any positive things? Tolerance may or may not be a good thing, and science yields new ways for people to kill one another. Nobody is starting to realize that hatred is a bad thing so long as politicians can manipulate it into schemes to make money.

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
Mississippi but I live in VA
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
just out of sheer curiosity, what do you mean by this? (not starting/trying to start an argument, i'm just very interested in getting the views of other people on this subject..)
well a mark of a true christian is not somebody that would kill so i'm saying people who kill in the name of christianity aren't really christian

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How does any of it yield any positive things? Tolerance may or may not be a good thing, and science yields new ways for people to kill one another. Nobody is starting to realize that hatred is a bad thing so long as politicians can manipulate it into schemes to make money.
How is tolerance not a good thing?

And what about all of the ways that science is learning to save people's lives? Why are you ignoring those?

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How is it a good thing?
It helps people learn to get along with others even if they don't agree with everything that others say/think/believe.

I don't. I just have to look at things realistically.
Seems more like you're looking at things pessimistically.

Upvote 0

ClausJohn

Jan 18, 2008
Saarbruecken
✟596.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Tolerance may or may not be a good thing
It would be if everyone was, not just some. Still i prefer a semi-tolerant society over a generally intolerant one.

and science yields new ways for people to kill one another.
Yeah, we should never have left those comfy caves...btw, science allows you to post in this forum, by providing a computer, electricity and a far better chance to survive your childhood compared to 2000 years ago :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I

ImperialPhantom

America has never been a "moral" society. Neither has any society, ever. The Bible tells us NOT to spend time wishing things are as they were in the past. Why? Cuz it stops us from doing God's will in the present moment, and because everyone, no matter who they are or what they consider the past to be, has idealized visions of the past. Most Americans who go on and on about how America needs a Christian revival, don't really care about the explosive growth of Christian communities in China, India, Africa, etc. They may care with their heads, but do they with their hearts? If they were being honest, they would say no. It doesn't stir their hearts.

Upvote 0

SteadFastAlex

Feb 11, 2008
✟7,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
heh, I sometimes think of how everything would be if everyone was nice, loving and helpful to one another. Now when I say that, I mean everyone, I mean no bad guys, none of that. On this earth it will never happen because there is always that one guy or girl who will rebel, no better yet, its always that one guy or girl who has negative thoughts about it saying that "there is always going to be that one guy or girl who rebels.".

If everyone just love everyone else around them it would work out soooo well, I know that I'm kind of coming out of no where here but o well. I can't wait intill Jesus returns!!

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Most Americans who go on and on about how America needs a Christian revival, don't really care about the explosive growth of Christian communities in China, India, Africa, etc. They may care with their heads, but do they with their hearts? If they were being honest, they would say no. It doesn't stir their hearts

i'm one of those americans and i can tell you that you are false, and what does their christian growth have to do with the christian growth in america?

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i'm one of those americans and i can tell you that you are false, and what does their christian growth have to do with the christian growth in america?
What makes the Christian growth in those countries any less important or any less worthy of our praise than the Christian growth in America?

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What makes the Christian growth in those countries any less important or any less worthy of our praise than the Christian growth in America?
you are misunderstanding what i'm saying. by saying that america needs a revival doesn't mean that i don't care about other countries which is what he implied, but i also know that other countries having a revival will not make america have one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
you are misunderstanding what i'm saying. by saying that america needs a revival doesn't mean that i don't care about other countries which is what he implied, but i also know that other countries having a revival will not make america have one.
Why be such a complainer, though, by just focusing on Christian growth in the United States? Why not celebrate the fact that Christianity is growing incredibly around the world instead?

Praise God for all He is doing in the world today, and praise Him for new converts worldwide! :clap: :clap:

Upvote 0

ryanb6

Nov 7, 2007
✟15,409.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Why be such a complainer, though, by just focusing on Christian growth in the United States? Why not celebrate the fact that Christianity is growing incredibly around the world instead?

Praise God for all He is doing in the world today, and praise Him for new converts worldwide! :clap: :clap:
that is a very true statement, but i'm also saddened by the fact that islam is growing faster. you make a good point though.

Upvote 0