State moves to remove powers from Department of Education, gives rulemaking and curriculum power directly to governor-appointed position

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
When they make it clear they intend to make students into something socially other than their parents are.
Well-informed?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, that sounded catchy.

I'd give that to you, if you could demonstrate that they're any more well-informed.
Schools are having to educate children on the legal realities that now exist for LGBTQIA+ people and the children’s parents are not happy about this truth.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The school exists in Germany, therefore if falls under German laws and must teach to German educational standards-- even though it is not run by the German government or taught in German.
You are incorrect.
Perhaps if the school I was in over 4 decades ago taught a German curriculum or an international curriculum, you would be correct.

However, this was an American school in an American church teaching an American curriculum. The resources for the American curriculum was the accredited Accelerated Christian Education, aka A.C.E.

Why must you continue to do my own experience when you were nowhere close to even being there or not even one iota a part of that yourself?

Furthermore, why has this thread been derailed by people who refuse to accept my own history and the truth about this private American Christian school inside an American Baptist church, which was established to minister to American military families living there in West Germany?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Schools are having to educate children on the legal realities that now exist for LGBTQIA+ people and the children’s parents are not happy about this truth.
A. It's not just about LGBTQIA+.

B. Actually, they don't. The "legal realities" are for government and business.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
A. It's not just about LGBTQIA+.

B. Actually, they don't. The "legal realities" are for government and business.
A. True enough
B. But today children are tomorrow’s politicians and business people, better they should know and understand the legal realities for their LGBTQIA+ peers than get the same education their parents received before 2015

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are incorrect.
Perhaps if the school I was in over 4 decades ago taught a German curriculum or an international curriculum, you would be correct.

However, this was an American school in an American church teaching an American curriculum. The resources for the American curriculum was the accredited Accelerated Christian Education, aka A.C.E.

Why must you continue to do my own experience when you were nowhere close to even being there or not even one iota a part of that yourself?

Furthermore, why has this thread been derailed by people who refuse to accept my own history and the truth about this private American Christian school inside an American Baptist church, which was established to minister to American military families living there in West Germany?
Actually, I was in Germany 4 decades ago. And if you have a school in a country, you have to abide by that countries laws, even if you aren't from that country. Yes, they could teach in English and even teach using a different "method" (such as Montessori), and set up an American-style curriculum, but you still must teach to the standards that countries laws require.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A. True enough
B. But today children are tomorrow’s politicians and business people, better they should know and understand the legal realities for their LGBTQIA+ peers than get the same education their parents received before 2015
Umm, no. Just like they don't need to know OSHA laws in the third grade.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Umm, no. Just like they don't need to know OSHA laws in the third grade.
Great, how about the eighth, or 10th?
Just like after Brown v Board of Education, schools will begin to teach the laws of the land with an eye to how SCOTUS has ruled in recent years; this is to prepare the little tykes for the new political realities that they will face in later years.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great, how about the eighth, or 10th?
Just like after Brown v Board of Education, schools will begin to teach the laws of the land with an eye to how SCOTUS has ruled in recent years; this is to prepare the little tykes for the new political realities that they will face in later years.
Well, school integration didn't move for a decade after Brown v Board of Education anyway.

Even when desegregation began to happen, schools didn't teach it. It simply happened.

I remember the first time I sat in an integrated classroom--in middle school. It was literally my first time ever even meeting a white kid. I'd never even been on the same playground as a white kid. Never even been in the same movie theater or swimming pool with a white kid.

So, I sat in the room in the first few minutes, looked at them, and thought to myself: "Huh. White kids."

No, the teachers didn't teach about it. To the extent that it affected us, it was just part of the world we were in. If it wasn't part of the world we were in, they still didn't teach about.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, school integration didn't move for a decade after Brown v Board of Education anyway.

Even when desegregation began to happen, schools didn't teach it. It simply happened.

I remember the first time I sat in an integrated classroom--in middle school. It was literally my first time ever even meeting a white kid. I'd never even been on the same playground as a white kid. Never even been in the same movie theater or swimming pool with a white kid.

So, I sat in the room in the first few minutes, looked at them, and thought to myself: "Huh. White kids."

No, the teachers didn't teach about it. To the extent that it affected us, it was just part of the world we were in. If it wasn't part of the world we were in, they still didn't teach about.
You don’t see the parallels betwixt the racial civil rights movement and the sexual civil rights reality of today?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You don't see the differences?
Sure, but I also see the same sort of backlash by the hoi polloi, who seem to want to hold onto old timey ways when the only “acceptable“ thing to do with “queers” was to beat them up.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As someone who lives in Ohio, I don't think Mike DeWine can be labelled as "authoritarian governor" as I saw another post making reference to.

I disagree with him more than I agree with him on the various issues...but in terms of "threatening", he's about as threatening as plain white toast with margarine. (I've actually met the guy twice)

The legislature passed this provision with a veto-proof majority...not sure what anyone would expect DeWine to do in this situation. Veto it just so it can be overridden? Seems like delaying the inevitable.

As far as the the department of education being put under the purview of the governor's office and having a "state cabinet level" position (or one that's explicitly appointed by the governor), that's not all that unique either.

If it works for New Jersey, Oregon, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire...why not Ohio?

Some jurisdictions have an even less "expertise relevant" policy, like DC where a Deputy Mayor gets to dictate education policy.

Yeah, it's one of those situations that the left seems to get all worked up about as if it's something new....then you learn that multiple states already do it, and one has to wonder if it's a nothing burger with cheese.

This is similar to claims of "Republican efforts to prevent voting" in states like Georgia for passing election reforms that already existed in other states (including heavily Democrat states like NY). I also recall stories of Ron Desantis creating a private army...

and it's clearly done to drum up outrage over nothing.

It's becoming strangely regular to see such blatant attempts at political smearing done in mainstream left wing media. They rely on not providing full context and the presumption that their audience isn't bright enough to look around and see if such laws or policies already exist in other states without any controversy at all. It's as if they don't respect the intelligence of their readers/audiences.

These are the same media outlets that went from lie to lie regarding education from 2020 to 2022. We all recall being told CRT is a "college level" subject and won't be taught in schools, then it became "CRT is just accurate history" or part of "social emotional learning" and still wasn't taught in schools but probably should be, then as parents literally found CRT training sessions for teachers and mentions of CRT in state curriculums they angrily showed up at school board meetings and were told "ok, there's some elements of CRT in school, but that's a good thing" and by that point they had already shifted direction to teaching children about "gender" against the wishes of parents as early as 1st grade.

It shouldn't be shocking to anyone that after so much lying and deception about what is taught in the classroom....people don't trust the Department of Education. There's some nightmare stories coming out of schools these days, and I don't mean the report cards (although those are pretty terrifying as well).

All Republicans seem to want is a focus on math, reading, writing, history, civics, and all the usual subjects that students are struggling with in epic numbers. They aren't asking for a bible-based curriculum. They simply don't want their children obsessing about racial and sexual identity for 12 years and graduate without being able to do long division.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but I also see the same sort of backlash by the hoi polloi, who seem to want to hold onto old timey ways when the only “acceptable“ thing to do with “queers” was to beat them up.

Those "old timey" ways died out 20 years ago....in some states even further.

Parents today are worried that their children are doing 4th grade math and 3rd grade writing in 8th grade. They rightly don't believe that imbuing children with an obsession about identity serves them any good...it clearly serves the Democratic Party but no one else.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Removing books on queer themes or the American civil rights struggle makes some parents happy, but not all parents happy. Some parents want those books available.
odd how you link queer themes, a behavior, to Civil Rights a non-behavioral issue.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While you're accurate about the bit about the double standard staunch conservatives want with regards to "parental rights in education"
there is no double standard, there is the law and Democrats seem to think that they can ignore it or change it at will. Whatever they "feel" in the moment is the right thing. The Declaration of Independence clearly states that the government exists to secure "Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness". Democrats don't acknowledge all of that. They want liberty at the expense of Life and Happiness. I am 52 and I have seen this go on by the Democrats on social issues my entire life. They vote for the most destructive policies and this is just the latest round. The divorce laws, the drug laws, the free sex laws, the LBGTxyz laws, the free theft laws, the defund the police laws, the kill your kid laws, The lowering of the age of consent laws. the kick your husband to the curb laws. The false accusation against men's laws. on social issues, you look at all the problems in our society and they are coming from 1 side. The Democrats.

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
odd how you link queer themes, a behavior, to Civil Rights a non-behavioral issue.
I always wonder how different posts like this would be if the civil rights in question had to do with behaviors related to religious freedom.

Seems like one of those talking points which was repeated without thinking it through.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0