Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With the help of one of the local Chaplains it has come to my attention, that I tend to pass off information as not relevant when it becomes too tough for me to understand. Well, this isn't good. I feel compelled to not just read the bible, but to study it and gain deeper understanding.

Here's the thing though. I have no clue how to go about it. I know of exegesis... and it is overwhelming. I am missing a good starting point, a structural path I can follow. Does anyone have a clue about good literature, website or anything similar to get me started on this?

Cheers ;)

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
With the help of one of the local Chaplains it has come to my attention, that I tend to pass off information as not relevant when it becomes too tough for me to understand. Well, this isn't good. I feel compelled to not just read the bible, but to study it and gain deeper understanding.

Here's the thing though. I have no clue how to go about it. I know of exegesis... and it is overwhelming. I am missing a good starting point, a structural path I can follow. Does anyone have a clue about good literature, website or anything similar to get me started on this?

Cheers ;)

https://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Bible-All-Worth/dp/0310246040

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally I think that I good study Bible is worthwhile for this purpose. Most denominations have a specific study Bible, and there are also some non-denominational ones. Most come in various translations of the Bible, pick one that you prefer to read in and then pick one that comes from a different text family so you can compare the two. In other words, perhaps get a KJV Study Bible and then a NASB to compare the verses in. Comparing different translations and translations from different starting texts helps to get a better understanding of the original intent and language, if you do not read the original Koine Greek or Hebrew. Otherwise there are lots of book-specific study guides available, again mostly denominations specific though.

Also get a good concordance and dictionary. Strong's Concordance and Vines dictionary are probably the most popular.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cheers ;)

If you check several, you'll find commentaries disagreeing with each other. But that's OK!

Don't worry about that. Don't rely on them as your final word.

The first step each time for scripture is to read with faith, with a real listening, believing that we will gain understanding that we need right now. (we expect to learn)

Because of faith, we want to know what Christ said to us in order that we would listen and hear.

So, a very good place to start is reading entirely through a gospel, taking your time (some days just 1 or 2 things He said totally fills me and I must stop right there), and letting the words speak, without you talking in your mind, but instead listening. Even though some or many things will not be understood immediately.

Trust. In time, what you need you learn, because you are listening. So, reading through, remembering the words, dwelling on them, so that they remain in your mind. He actually said to us to do this (this is in John chapter 15). It is okay to read a commentary, but it's not the first step. The first step is real listening, so that you hear. Many things can only be understood by listening fully through entire longer sections like chapters or even entire books. Don't worry if you don't understand something at first, and allow yourself to remember how He said it, and you will recall His wording later, again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Personally I think that I good study Bible is worthwhile for this purpose. ....
Also get a good concordance and dictionary. Strong's Concordance and Vines dictionary are probably the most popular.

I might also recommend other guides such as a Biblical atlas or an explanation to Biblical lands, customs, and society can be useful as well. For example, having some basic understanding of how the Sadducees and Pharisees developed in the time leading up to the New Testament era is helpful to seeing where Jesus was coming from in his interactions with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I might also recommend other guides such as a Biblical atlas or an explanation to Biblical lands, customs, and society can be useful as well. Fox example, having some basic understanding of how the Sadducees and Pharisees developed in the time leading up to the New Testament era is helpful to seeing where Jesus was coming from in his interactions with them.
Great idea, I LOVE atlases myself. The context of land and culture are very important to our faith as it emerged from 1st century Judaism.

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Cheers ;)

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
fraterdomus:

When I started to study the Bible and learn about Jesus and God, I began by praying for guidance. After awhile I found little things that started me on my way to studying the scriptures for the true answers.
Beware, it is not a short time period that is involved in learning! Always pray to the Lord Christ Jesus that the Holy Spirit may be granted to you. If you are sincere, this will occure in various ways. Keep your mind open!
A good house in not built in one day! Blessings. May the God grant to you the Spirit to help you if He be willing.

Andy Centek

Reactions: frater_domus
Upvote 0