California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This thread seeks to show that the atheist model of evolution is incorrect by going back to first principles to challenge atheist notions of star formation.

I would like to start off with some ground rules. First, I'm not interested in reading or responding to invective, or in rebuttals regarding tiny details. We need to keep the big picture in mind. Second, I'm interested in your independent thought and your critical thinking, not your YouTube videos, hyperlinks, degrees, etc. Ideas need to stand or fail on their own merit. I already know that organizations of atheist scientists aren't going to agree with me. Third, the purpose of this post is to convince you to give Christianity a second look, not get my ideas published. I care more about your souls than anything else.

There are two closely related atheist theories on star formation. The first is called "competitive accretion," (which some claim is disproved) and the second is called "gravitational collapse and fragmentation." Under both theories, large clouds of interstellar gas and dust collapse under the force of gravity, or else under the force of a shock wave from another star that went supernova, or some other unnamed exogenous force. The interstellar gas theories of star formation cannot be true, and here are my views on why:

1. The predominant constituent of the interstellar gas clouds is H2. However, H2 has a high amount of electrostatic repulsion. In essence, the atoms push away from each other to a large degree, and that force of repulsion is vastly greater than gravity, which is one of the weakest forces in nature. Thus, if you pop a balloon full of hydrogen or helium, the atoms will evenly fill the room and never come back together.
2. Radiation pressure also opposes the collapse of gas clouds. Any theoretical or misnamed "proto-star" within a gas cloud will emit radiation that effectively opposes the entrance of new particles to increase the size of the protostar, which would emit solar wind. Also, imagine a continuously exploding atomic bomb. Now imagine trying to walk toward that atomic bomb against the shock waves that it would emit. If any gas cloud managed to coalesce around the star, the gas cloud would become an atmosphere that would get blown away by the detonations within the "protostar."
3. The force of gravity within a dispersed interstellar gas cloud is vastly insufficient to collapse the cloud to form a star/protostar. Even the force of gravity of the Earth, which is far more dense than interstellar gas clouds, is insufficient to retain hydrogen and helium in our atmosphere.
4. "Shockwaves from supernovae or other energetic astronomical processes" [link] are insufficient to force a huge disbursed cloud of interstellar gas to come together. That would be akin to moving your hand through a room full of hydrogen gas. The moving hand does nothing more than increase turbulence, and turbulence opposes gravity. [link]
5. Under the Second Law of Thermodynamics, complex systems move from order to disorder. Thus, stars are in the business of transforming their intensely concentrated mass into waste electromagnetic energy and tiny particles that are spread throughout the universe, never to be concentrated again by natural forces. Moreover, exploding stars facially cannot create new stars [save whatever matter was left over]. Any stars that might theoretically form are insignificant second-order effects, much like little waves left over after a tsunami strikes land. An exploding balloon doesn't give rise to another balloon, and an exploding atomic bomb doesn't give rise to another atomic bomb.

Dr. Russell Humphreys, a retired Sandia physicist, created a Creationist cosmological model that is related to star formation and makes a great deal of sense to me. It fits the natural laws and observational evidence. Genesis 1:2 says that at Time 0, there existed something called The Deep, a great rotating ball of water. Beginning at Time 0, the ball of water begins to collapse inward upon itself, stripping the water molecules and creating a giant fiery ball of plasma. Around 24 hours, light from the ball reaches the Schwarzschild radius of the ball and cannot escape ["He separated the light from the darkness"]. God then changes the cosmological constant to a very large number and converts the black hole of The Deep into a white hole, disbursing the matter and energy on the surface of a hypersphere throughout the universe. Essentially, stars and galaxies and galactic clusters are big gooey globs of hot matter and energy left over from the massive ball at the beginning. This description, which describes the bare minimum of Humphreys' cosmology, comports with the 2nd Law (massive ball into littler balls) and is a more coherent rationale for star formation than the existing theories.

Last edited:

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again, another thread in which God's own creation speaks against you since one can simply look into the heavens and see stellar formation going on and how it happens.

How can one who claims to be witnessing for God lie about God's creation without even a twinge of guilt?

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Non-denominational, literalist YEC Christian
Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Again, another thread in which God's own creation speaks against you since one can simply look into the heavens and see stellar formation going on and how it happens.

How can one who claims to be witnessing for God lie about God's creation without even a twinge of guilt?

No one has seen stars form. At best, we see stars within or in the vicinity of gas clouds, but no stars forming. If someone can find a photo similar to the artist's illustration below (but substituting a star for the black hole), that would be good evidence of the atheist world regarding the issue of star formation.

Attachments

• new_star_formation_chandra.jpg
    new_star_formation_chandra.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm slightly confused... What does the formation of stars have to do with evolution? Did I miss something?

Christian here, and wondering the same thing.

And btw True_Blue there are plenty of Christians who are on-side with evolution. Probably a billion or so.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm slightly confused... What does the formation of stars have to do with evolution? Did I miss something?

I'm using the word "evolution" to refer to the summation of atheistic sequence of events from the Big Bang to the origin of mankind.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christian here, and wondering the same thing.

And btw True_Blue there are plenty of Christians who are on-side with evolution. Probably a billion or so.

I doubt there are even that many Christians in the world. And in any case, a Christian respects the Bible as Christ did.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work."

"I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

There is so much good science out there that no Christian need believe evolution except for reason of peer pressure, and that's not a good reason to do anything.

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm using the word "evolution" to refer to the summation of atheistic sequence of events from the Big Bang to the origin of mankind.

Ah, so you mean change, since that is how the word is being used...

So are you arguing that there has been no change, at all, since the beginning of the universe?

Some kind of weird steady state model to an absurd extreme? It would seem not from your OP. You seem to be projecting some different form of evolution of the universe, but not a universe without evolution.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I doubt there are even that many Christians in the world. And in any case, a Christian respects the Bible as Christ did.

Okay. There are more than a Billion Catholics alone, and the Catholic church does not dispute evolution. Many millions of Christians of other denominations agree.

There is so much good science out there that no Christian need believe evolution except for reason of peer pressure, and that's not a good reason to do anything.

Okay, whatever. I guess the hundreds of fossils I've personally found of species long dead are a trick of Satan or a test of God or something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Christians are also down with this sequence - all of it as discovered by science. We just believe God set it all in motion.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, so you mean change, since that is how the word is being used...

So are you arguing that there has been no change, at all, since the beginning of the universe?

Some kind of weird steady state model to an absurd extreme? It would seem not from your OP. You seem to be projecting some different form of evolution of the universe, but not a universe without evolution.

Creation/evolution is about the presence or absence of intent and purpose, not the presence or absence of change.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2004/22/image/a/format/large_web/

A wonderful picture of a stellar nursery.

Again it seems that you are bearing false witness against God's creation. Do you really feel no guilt over this?

Every time I see an online news article about "stellar nurseries", I keep expecting to see something resembling the thumbnail I attached earlier. Instead, I see pictures like what you linked to, which are more likely pieces of the star left over from the supernova, or else stars in the vicinity of the star that went nova. The picture is not dispositive. The picture that you linked to is exactly what I would expect to see, which is an amorphous, unorganized cloud.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christians are also down with this sequence - all of it as discovered by science. We just believe God set it all in motion.

I think that a YEC paradigm is a tremendous source of faith for a science-minded person, and a great source of insight into how the natural world functions. A Christian who adopts an evolutionist paradigm weakens his faith and trust in the Bible and Jesus Christ and also understands less of how the natural world operates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Creation/evolution is about the presence or absence of intent and purpose, not the presence or absence of change.

But you had just said:

In that sentence the word evolution simply means change. To add further meaning to the word is bearing false witness against atheists.

So which is it, do you just mean change or are you bearing false witness again?

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think that a YEC paradigm is a tremendous source of faith for a science-minded person, and a great source of insight into how the natural world functions. A Christian who adopts an evolutionist paradigm weakens his faith and trust in the Bible and Jesus Christ and also understands less of how the natural world operates.

Okay, you go with that. Over and out, bedtime calls. :wave:

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every time I see an online news article about "stellar nurseries", I keep expecting to see something resembling the thumbnail I attached earlier. Instead, I see pictures like what you linked to, which are more likely pieces of the star left over from the supernova, or else stars in the vicinity of the star that went nova. The picture is not dispositive. The picture that you linked to is exactly what I would expect to see, which is an amorphous, unorganized cloud.

When you were a kid, did you expect the world to look like your coloring book, simplified with black lines dividing everything?

Why would you expect to see something like your thumbnail when that is a simplified teaching aid much like the coloring books of your youth?

That is an awful excuse for your false witness, expecting God's world to look exactly like a simplified coloring book image meant to teach the basics.

Reactions: Reanimation
Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When you were a kid, did you expect the world to look like your coloring book, simplified with black lines dividing everything?

Why would you expect to see something like your thumbnail when that is a simplified teaching aid much like the coloring books of your youth?

That is an awful excuse for your false witness, expecting God's world to look exactly like a simplified coloring book image meant to teach the basics.

Note the gravitational pattern in this photo and compare it to the "stellar nursery" in the photo linked above.

Attachments

• Spiral Galaxy.jpg
    Spiral Galaxy.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Note the gravitational pattern in this photo and compare it to the "stellar nursery" in the photo linked above.

Again what can I say?

I am sorry that God's creation does not conform to your simplistic ideas about it, but that does not excuse the false witness that you have been spewing.

Upvote 0