Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is sinful about stage magic? Why should Christians stay clear of it? What would be your response if invited to go see a magic show?
I love a good magic show, but I'd want front row seat tickets.

• Informative
Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love stage magic shows, I have been to many of them. They are not "real" magic, it is simply tricks and such. People that believe Christians should stay clear are misunderstanding the fact that it is simply a trick being done, an illusion, there is nothing evil about it. While the tricks might seem to be supernatural, they have explanations and are just talented people doing things that seem to defy nature.

About 6 months ago I went to one of the top touring magic shows, "The Illusionists". I happened to sit on the side and upper part of the theater (it sits several thousand people) and this was, sadly, a poor place to sit. Several tricks were ruined as I could see what was happening "behind the curtain".

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What is sinful about stage magic? Why should Christians stay clear of it? What would be your response if invited to go see a magic show?

Nothing.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I love stage magic shows, I have been to many of them. They are not "real" magic, it is simply tricks and such. People that believe Christians should stay clear are misunderstanding the fact that it is simply a trick being done, an illusion, there is nothing evil about it. While the tricks might seem to be supernatural, they have explanations and are just talented people doing things that seem to defy nature.

About 6 months ago I went to one of the top touring magic shows, "The Illusionists". I happened to sit on the side and upper part of the theater (it sits several thousand people) and this was, sadly, a poor place to sit. Several tricks were ruined as I could see what was happening "behind the curtain".

What about, "avoid even evil's appearance."

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, if you believe stage magic is evil, then DON'T GO. Simple as that.

Don't wear out your typing fingers trying to convince the rest of us that it is evil.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When you take an inanimate object and make it appear to dance on the edge of a baby's crib, inspiring a little wonder from the tyke, you appear to make the impossible happen. To the young one it's a magic trick. Is that the appearance of evil?

These magic tricks take our lazy assumptions, seek out loopholes and then engage us to try to understand how they happened. They're exercise for the mind.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing evil in action or appearance - it is not real. I know it is not real, most of the audience knows it is not real. We suspend belief for the moment to have fun with the trick - but we know it is not real. The trick may be incredible, beyond belief, but it is still a trick - even if some people think it is real for some reason.

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing evil in action or appearance - it is not real. I know it is not real, most of the audience knows it is not real. We suspend belief for the moment to have fun with the trick - but we know it is not real. The trick may be incredible, beyond belief, but it is still a trick - even if some people think it is real for some reason.
Trying to figure out how they did it is half the fun (for me anyway).

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trying to figure out how they did it is half the fun (for me anyway).
I think a lot of people find enjoyment in that aspect! For me, I just like to enjoy the wonderment of not knowing. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of people find enjoyment in that aspect! For me, I just like to enjoy the wonderment of not knowing. :)
I once saw one of the "disappearing person" tricks. Someone didn't clean the mirror very well, and there was a big smudge on it. Big giveaway.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I once saw one of the "disappearing person" tricks. Someone didn't clean the mirror very well, and there was a big smudge on it. Big giveaway.
Yeah, kind of like one of the tricks in "The Illusionists". The guy was supposed to be under a sheet and somehow disappear, but we could see him jump out the back when they put the sheet over "him". Disappointing, but really surprisingly spry for a man his size and girth.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well, if you believe stage magic is evil, then DON'T GO. Simple as that.

Don't wear out your typing fingers trying to convince the rest of us that it is evil.
In fact I never said that it's evil.

Upvote 0