Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I have a belief about the early Jewish Christians, a firm conviction, I should say.

I believe that, as Christians, the offspring of these Jewish Christians married other Christians, whether of Jewish or Gentile origin, and were not at all concerned about preserving an independent and totally Jewish existence. Thus the Jewish Christian population melted into the general Christian population of Europe and the Near East.

I have seen evidence of this happening in modern times. My wife's own grandmother, Rachel, was a Jewish convert to Orthodoxy. She married (obviously) my wife's grandfather, a Lithuanian (non-Jewish) lawyer.

We have Russian friends who are Orthodox but originally of Jewish ethnic origin. They think of themselves as Christians - they are, after all - and do not hold themselves aloof from other Christians. Our friends have relatives in Israel who are still Jews.

There have been many outstanding Orthodox scholars and clerics who were originally Jewish (one thinks of Fr. Aleksandr Men, for example). They were never concerned about preserving some sort of separate existence as the elite of the kingdom of God.

The Jews who rejected Jesus, OTOH, remained exclusive (only in terms of culture and religion: they made many Gentile converts) and thus preserved a separate Jewish ethnicity.

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you may be right, Maximus.
Kind of like how converts to Judaism in OT times gave up their previous tribal affiliations and become one with the Jewish people.
That would be in line with what the NT teaches, and would answer alot of questions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.