You can't spell or pronounce me
May 3, 2008
Here
✟16,001.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm used to ballet being considered a "girly" art....which it is not, by the way. It's too bad though, because many boys do not have exposure to it because it's seen as such. At least in the US it's that way.

Well, for me it's a completely foreign thing. When I was growing up, it was only parents who thought of themselves as classy & well above us mere humans :p that would send their daughters to ballet classes. It was the same parents who sent their children to learn French!

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, for me it's a completely foreign thing. When I was growing up, it was only parents who thought of themselves as classy & well above us mere humans :p that would send their daughters to ballet classes. It was the same parents who sent their children to learn French!

Have you ever tried to spell any single word in French? I took 2 years of French in HS and the only phrases I can remember are not worth repeating. Spelling in French makes neurosurgery look like childs play!

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
OH - Michael - French is not THAT bad ,

I can cope with DL in French and I can also Read the Epistle in French [ done that several times :) ] though I have still to have the courage to Chant it - next year I will :)

I shop in French and have you ever tried talking to a dentist in French - now that I'll admit was not easy - but we managed

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OH - Michael - French is not THAT bad ,

I can cope with DL in French and I can also Read the Epistle in French [ done that several times :) ] though I have still to have the courage to Chant it - next year I will :)

I shop in French and have you ever tried talking to a dentist in French - now that I'll admit was not easy - but we managed

German is a far easier language to pronounce than French. Almost every letter you see in German is pronounced and even the irregular verbs have rules to them. In French half the letters you see are not pronounced and I was never able to figure out a rule to govern French spelling or pronounciation...

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
French is a piece of cake in comparison to Finnish... Finnish is right behind Mandarin Chinese in the difficulty to learn...

Last I checked Finnish was not a top priority on my list of things to learn...;):D

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
French is a piece of cake in comparison to Finnish... Finnish is right behind Mandarin Chinese in the difficulty to learn...

We need to teach The Finn to speak "Pittsburgheese!!!" :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kreikkalainen

You can't spell or pronounce me
May 3, 2008
Here
✟16,001.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some day last Lent I texted the local priest (who speaks english :prayer:) to ask if that päästoliturgia ("lenten Liturgy" in literal translation I guess) service that I saw mentioned on the schedule of services was actually the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts. His answer was along the lines of:

Dear <my real name self-censored>. That is correct. Here we say päästoliturgia, because in finnish the phrase Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts is very long: <huge sentence, longer than some paragraphs, even longer than some short essays, average word length 65 letters>.

:p

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I had a desire to dance since I could walk. But we were poor and lived far away from any city or town that had a dance school. When I was a teenager my family moved to Topeka, KS and I was allowed to take lessons on a scholarship due to the "potential" that the teacher saw in me. :)

On a different subject...the type of Protestant that hangs around in GT has drastically changed from when I used to frequent there a few years ago. What is this trend that they've come up with to absolutely reject anything that any ECF wrote? You can hardly reason with them.

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever tried to spell any single word in French? I took 2 years of French in HS and the only phrases I can remember are not worth repeating. Spelling in French makes neurosurgery look like childs play!

I took two years of French as well. I barely remember anything, except how to say "She is wearing boots" and the first few lines of "Les Marseilles". :cool:

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Gwen, could you please share your recipe.

I have never baked them, but I would love to learn.

My cookbook is here:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baklava/Detail.aspx

there are several baklava recipes there...but this one is always a no fail ... I've tried a couple of the others...eh...

I took two years of French as well. I barely remember anything, except how to say "She is wearing boots" and the first few lines of "Les Marseilles". :cool:
un cola?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KoolKat

the crazy priest's kid from down the lane
Nov 28, 2006
my mind
✟21,858.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi KoolKat! It's great to see you again :)

*waves to everyone*

I've been stitching on the other piece I'm focussing on at the moment (not my icon) and got another milestone done. This is 80% done now...

(clicky to see it bigger)

I am rather pleased with how it's coming together.

hi! nice to see you too!

that is super awesome!!:thumbsup::clap:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.