✟134,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That sounds great!

"has a daughter I met and got along well with"? Care to expound?
Well, since you asked...

She is one year younger than I in school. Goes to my church every so many weeks.

On Pentecost when we were all in Wilkeson, my dad tells me that her mom (a matushka) started asking questions about me (conspiracy!)

So today during coffee hour, there was a "clergy table". I'm trying to find a place to sit (spot I eventually found was across from the girl) and was going to be her mom's spot. She goes over and asks her mom if she's still going to sit there, the matushka finds a spot on the clergy table with other matushkas.

So after the food, we went outside the parish house and were just sort of chit-chatting with a few other priest kids. After they leave, we're still just sort of hanging out outside (don't worry, nothing bad happened).

I'll tell ya more tomorrow. Bottom line: I think the matushka was trying to set us up. If so, greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, since you asked...

She is one year younger than I in school. Goes to my church every so many weeks.

On Pentecost when we were all in Wilkeson, my dad tells me that her mom (a matushka) started asking questions about me.

So today during coffee hour, there was a "clergy table". I'm trying to find a place to sit (which was across from the girl) and was going to be her mom's spot. She goes over and asks her mom if she's still going to sit there, the matushka finds a spot on the clergy table with other matushkas.

So after the food, we went outside the parish house and were just sort of chit-chatting with a few other priest kids. After they leave, we're still just sort of hanging out outside (don't worry, nothing bad happened).

I'll tell ya more tomorrow.
You better tell us the rest of the story tomorrow! Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It was great. There were about 15 priests and six or seven deacons.

The deacons would rotate between litanies in English and Slavonic. They did the Creed and Lord's Prayer in Slavonic then English (as well as Gospel readings).

It was nice. Fr. Alexy (ROCOR priest) said that they'd normally have about ten people on Pentecost Monday. The local ROCOR folks had a look on them that said "If you look at me wrong way, I shank you." But the number of people there (at least 100) kept everyone from breaking out into riots.;)

One of the visiting priests, Fr. John (OCA chaplain, visits our church every once in a while) has a daughter I met and got along well with. :)

Overall it was a good day. I ran into somebody here on CF (authiodionitist) who was also there.
EC, is that 'Special Forces - no hair - jumps out of airplanes' Father John?

Upvote 0

Vasileios

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Apr 15, 2006
Crete
✟15,480.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good morning Michael!
I just read about your icon of St. Andrew.
I *love* this saint! (I believe I included him in my top 5 at a past thread!:p) His life is so fascinating, his humility and simplicity! And of course the visitation of heaven!

I recall being amazed at some stories to the point of doubting the authenticity, then I reach the part where he interprets some of the Psalms and they were so wonderful and so authentic, it drove all doubts away!

I know there is some controversy about his biography but I do not care one bit. The Church venerates him as a saint and that is that!

I hope the icon turned out well! May you have his blessing!

PS: Can I just say I am very glad to see Clement back here?

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good morning Michael!
I just read about your icon of St. Andrew.
I *love* this saint! (I believe I included him in my top 5 at a past thread!:p) His life is so fascinating, his humility and simplicity! And of course the visitation of heaven!

I recall being amazed at some stories to the point of doubting the authenticity, then I reach the part where he interprets some of the Psalms and they were so wonderful and so authentic, it drove all doubts away!

I know there is some controversy about his biography but I do not care one bit. The Church venerates him as a saint and that is that!

I hope the icon turned out well! May you have his blessing!

PS: Can I just say I am very glad to see Clement back here?
The gold leafing on the icon turned out horribly. I spent most of yesterday afternoon removing the gold leafed background from the beautiful icon and have decided to paint the background instead and just gold leaf the halo. I will post the icon on here once it is completed.

Upvote 0

Anatole

Apr 23, 2007
✟23,067.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good morning everyone!!!
Well, we're at the final stretch at getting our basement finished by Thursday night. We'll see if the tile person shows up today. He's supposed to lay tile in the laudry room and vinyl linoleum in the bathroom today and tomorrow. Then Thursday the carpet will go in. Then my mom, brother, and sister in law will get here Friday afternoon.
We won't have all the trim and baseboards done, but my mom should feel pretty comfortable down there. I'll sleep with here since we have a walk out basement, she might be scared.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good morning everyone!!!
Well, we're at the final stretch at getting our basement finished by Thursday night. We'll see if the tile person shows up today. He's supposed to lay tile in the laudry room and vinyl linoleum in the bathroom today and tomorrow. Then Thursday the carpet will go in. Then my mom, brother, and sister in law will get here Friday afternoon.
We won't have all the trim and baseboards done, but my mom should feel pretty comfortable down there. I'll sleep with here since we have a walk out basement, she might be scared.
Being your much more on schedule with your basement, perhaps you can kick my butt into gear with my spare room.

Upvote 0

Anatole

Apr 23, 2007
✟23,067.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being your much more on schedule with your basement, perhaps you can kick my butt into gear with my spare room.
Take your time if you don't have a deadline.
Our contractor got lazy and did a pathetic taping job in some places. Unfortunately, the texture didn't cover it all. So it's pretty depressing when you have to pay them so much and the job is not up to snuff!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Take your time if you don't have a deadline.
Our contractor got lazy and did a pathetic taping job in some places. Unfortunately, the texture didn't cover it all. So it's pretty depressing when you have to pay them so much and the job is not up to snuff!
I will make sure the work is up to snuff because I have a very particular eye and would not be able to live with it if it weren't the way I wanted it to be.

Upvote 0

Anatole

Apr 23, 2007
✟23,067.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You would never know that the gold background was totally fouled up yesterday on the icon of St. Andrew Fool for Christ! I would say the surgery was a success!
Woohoo!!!
St. Andrew will be proud!

Upvote 0

BabyLutheran

God Chose Me
Dec 3, 2005
Virginia Beach
✟10,238.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Jenn and Don,

I am going to see if Saturday works to go to NN Greek Festival. We could tentatively schedule meeting at 11 am there, eating lunch, and exploring for a couple of hours????

I need to see if my commander has anything planned. I would probably be bringing my daughter, and maybe my son and our exchange student, although getting them out of the house that early on a Saturday will be nigh impossible!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DonVA

May 20, 2006
Virginia
Visit site
✟10,207.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jenn and Don,

I am going to see if Saturday works to go to NN Greek Festival. We could tentatively schedule meeting at 11 am there, eating lunch, and exploring for a couple of hours????

I need to see if my commander has anything planned. I would probably be bringing my daughter, and maybe my son and our exchange student, although getting them out of the house that early on a Saturday will be nigh impossible!
That would work for me! My kid's supposed to be at Busch Gardens (if he behaves...) so I'll be free to come out for a couple of hours. Jenn?

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone, I hope you all had a nice weekend, it took me all of lunch to catch up on everyones news and now I have to go back to work!!

Michael, I'm glad to hear your latest icon came out so nice, can't wait to see it!
I will be varnishing it tonight. I have to get atleast 2 layers of varnish on it before I am comfortable scanning it.

Anyways, I am off to work. Everyone have a great day!

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Mornin' all!

I've just gotta share our good news. :)

Our parish, which had struggled along without any real growth for over a decade, was revitalized when our current priest came on board. He quickly saw that we had to have a better place to worship, and got us out of what we affectionately (not really :p ) called "the swamp", and into a larger rental space facing a major road, and we were able to transform it into a beautiful Orthodox chapel.

When he came 3 years ago, our attendance was 30-40, and there wasn't much else going on in the parish. We now have around 130 or more every Sunday DL, and we have many activities and services which have really formed us into a real Orthodox family. It wasn't easy - some people resisted the changes, and sadly, ended up leaving for other parishes. But many more came, cradles and converts, and lots of young families, and we continue to grow.

So we were just able by God's grace to purchase a 7-acre lot to build on. :bow: Yesterday, the Day of the Holy Spirit, we held our first Divine Liturgy on the land. We had a big white tent, and moved the icons (even the large ones from the Iconastasis), and they even hung the chandelier from the top of the tent! It has been raining non-stop here for a week, so the ground was really muddy, but they put straw down everywhere. Priests and parishioners (including DavidBryan and his family :wave: ) came from other parishes. So we worshipped under the tent and then had a church picnic with games and face painting and wagon rides for the kids, and a Celtic band and folk dancing for everyone. It was so great!

It's so amazing how this parish has changed and grown, not only in numbers, but in commitment, and spiritual growth (according to Father), and "community". It's a testimony to God's goodness, and lots of prayer, and lots of struggle, and a clear vision on our priest's part.

Within 2 year's time, we will have, God willing, a beautiful new Orthodox temple to worship in, and bring the Church to another community where there's never been an Orthodox presence before.

:crosseo:

Mary

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jenn and Don,

Jenn is in... so is Kevin!

OWB, where's your exchange student from?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.