Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I watched a video on St. Ephrem the Syrian, and I'm in search of hymns that may contain his work. He is attributed to over 400 remaining hymns according to the Orthodox Wiki.

Are any of the remaining hymns Antiochian Orthodox? I've only found Eastern Catholic hymns, which I'm not opposed to, and they're beautiful. Is anyone aware of any that may be Orthodox? Are they one in the same considering the years that he lived (306 A.D. to 373 A.D.)

I realize this is an off the wall question, but I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer if they're familiar with these hymns.

Lastly, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the music section. I figured most folks there aren't Orthodox, and so I posted it here hoping for an answer. Otherwise, thank you for reading.

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe a different St. Ephraim. Lo siento (I apologize).

He was tortured throughout his life, you're correct.

As for Lo siento, I don't believe that is related.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's Spanish.

Yes, but I haven't found anything under that name either, unfortunately.

Thank you for the answer.

Edit: I thought I mentioned it before, but thank you for the replies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am confused by this question. St. Ephrem is an Orthodox saint, so all of his hymns are Orthodox. Whether they are sung by Orthodox or Catholic congregations does not change the actual content of the hymns.

Here is a bit of the presanctified liturgy celebrated at Holy Apostles Orthodox Church in Pennsylvania that contains the prayer of St. Ephrem, prayed after the prayer "Let my prayer arise". I have no idea the particular jurisdiction of this church, but it's clearly Eastern Orthodox, at any rate.

For just the prayer alone, here is a recording of Presbytera Pat Tsagalakis of Holy Apostles Greek Orthodox Church in Washington state:

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am confused by this question. St. Ephrem is an Orthodox saint, so all of his hymns are Orthodox. Whether they are sung by Orthodox or Catholic congregations does not change the actual content of the hymns.

Here is a bit of the presanctified liturgy celebrated at Holy Apostles Orthodox Church in Pennsylvania that contains the prayer of St. Ephrem, prayed after the prayer "Let my prayer arise". I have no idea the particular jurisdiction of this church, but it's clearly Eastern Orthodox, at any rate.

For just the prayer alone, here is a recording of Presbytera Pat Tsagalakis of Holy Apostles Greek Orthodox Church in Washington state:

Thank you much. I'm confused, as you can see per the question. Please forgive me. :(

Since he was canonized a Saint during a time before the split between any of the Early Churches, would he be canonized by us all? (EO, OO, RC)?

Thank you for the hymns!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes, he is a saint in all of the communions you mentioned. There are different traditions concerning him in each, too, such that since the saint is a Syriac (language) hymnographer, you will likely find different prayers attributed to him in the Syriac Orthodox (OO) tradition than you would find among the EO, though as far as I know the one I have shared is known in both EO and OO churches. I am not sure if the EO have the prayer of St. Ephrem's testament ("Eno Afrem moyethno", or "I, Ephrem, am nearing death") which the Syriac Orthodox recite as part of their Wednesday vespers prayers, for instance. With a few notable exceptions (ethnic Assyrians in Russia and Georgia, who suddenly found themselves citizens of the Russian empire following the Treaty of Turkmenchay in the 1820s, or as a result of later immigration following various calamities in Turkey, Iraq, etc.), the EO stopped using Syriac centuries ago, following the liturgical Byzantinization of the Eastern Chalcedonians.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It's OCA...my parish!

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I watched a video on St. Ephrem the Syrian, and I'm in search of hymns that may contain his work. He is attributed to over 400 remaining hymns according to the Orthodox Wiki.

Are any of the remaining hymns Antiochian Orthodox? I've only found Eastern Catholic hymns, which I'm not opposed to, and they're beautiful. Is anyone aware of any that may be Orthodox? Are they one in the same considering the years that he lived (306 A.D. to 373 A.D.)

I realize this is an off the wall question, but I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer if they're familiar with these hymns.

Lastly, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the music section. I figured most folks there aren't Orthodox, and so I posted it here hoping for an answer. Otherwise, thank you for reading.
Also, the Antiochian Orthodox Church is just one of the Eastern Orthodox patriarchates. All the Eastern Orthodox patriarchates and jurisdictions are the same beliefs and hymns, albeit different musical settings. Since you are involved in TAW, you probably know that, but I want to clarify it for anyone else reading :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums