• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

spots/acne making things worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

katylees

Kaaaaty
Sep 13, 2003
bromsgrove/cardiff UK
Visit site
✟16,339.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's really starting to get to me again. I've had them for over 10 years and it;s [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]ing me off. It's part the reason why i don't go out the house if i can help it, i'll go with friends (well, when they're around), but practically never on my own.

I've tried everything. I was on antiobiotcs for 6 years, yet what they never said/realised was that you shouldn't be on them for more than 6 months, and that being on them for too long can cause depression. My nan reckons that's what did it, (altho im not so sure.) tried many topical creams/gels too, nothing over the counter has ever helped.

I did a course of Isotretinoin (RoAccutane) with the dermatologist nearly 2 years ago, which really helped while i was on it (i managed the side effects well) and for a while after but soon enough they came back again. Went back to see the doctor and i;ve had this gel for a year but it;s not worked so i went back again 4-5 weeks ago and he suggested trying antiobiotics again, so i went ahead.. but it;s made them about 10 times worse Gonna go and see doc next week again hopefully and hopefully he'll refer me to dermatoligst again ( altho the waiting list last time was 16 months, ugh) the pill dianette can help but he said they don't liek doing that cus it has other problems involved. The thing is with this Isotretinoin is it's made people depressed or more depressed and suicidal and there has been a few suicides caused by this treatment.. so that's another problem and something that could stop them thinking i'm suitable, they kept a real close eye last time, but it didnt make things nay worse, infact i felt better cus my face looked 'okay'.

I'm so tired of it all :( :cry: It's making me feel worse

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
Acne has plagued me for about 6 years now and I can imagine how it contributes to your depression since it has to mine, though not to such an extent. It is a constant weight on a mind that already is inundated by daily life.

Some medical advice: over-medication usually makes things worse. Keep track of what particular regiments of cleaning have produced the most and least results. I've certainly been too caught up in the overall problem of it sometimes to notice when a treatment was working well. It sounds silly but Polaroids can actually help. Benzoyl peroxide (any solution more than 5% is excess) has been the most effective topical cream I have found. Applied right after using exfoliating face washes it enters into the exposed pores and acts on the anaerobic bacteria that cause acne effectively smothering them with oxygen. Since this pretty inevitably leads to dried skin I use it most liberally at night.

Depression is not something I feel I can advise you on. I've never found any single bit of advice that works. I'm (heavily) medicated for depression and other ailments so I steer clear of anything other than topical acne treatments. I can give you a few bits of medical advice though.
-Smile into a mirror. Both the contraction of muscles involved in smiling and the observance of smiles actually improve mood.
-Pets have an uncanny ability to improve mental health. Training dogs specifically for the purposes of attending to depressed individuals has actually begun.
-Light (UV specifically) exposure improves mood over time.
-Physical activity can also stave depressed feelings. I took up fencing again when this became an issue for me. I found simple exercise to allow too much time for rumination.

Those answers are probably what pamphlets on the issue would tell you but I think I've reduced it down to the truly effective ones (I've done pretty extensive research on each of these). I won't claim that these have helped me compartmentalize my acne problems, but it is something.

To tell you the bare truth, what helped me most with my acne was actively developing an apathy about my natural appearance. I've gotten myself to the point where I'm frankly amused by others' constant struggles to improve their already nice appearances. It isn't a cure-all but it is what allows me to survive being in public, and occasionally makes it enjoyable. (Beauty salons are hilarious)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.