** SPOILERS** Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then, because I don't think it's possible for an incompleted horcrux procedure to somehow be completed by accident in an object for which it was not intended. We'll find out in a couple years I guess. ;)

Upvote 0

amazed_by_grace

Aug 29, 2004
Ireland
✟505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
snoochface said:
No, actually I don't see what one has to do with the other.

The reason the curse rebounded and some of his powers transferred to Harry was because of the ancient magic that protected Harry because of Lily's sacrifice for him. That doesn't change the fact that in order to create a horcrux, a murder has to be committed so the soul is torn, and then a spell has to be performed to collect the torn part of the soul and stow it into an item. Once the spell rebounded on Voldemort, he was unable to perform that magic. The horcrux is not created just *because* a murder was committed. The horcrux is created by the magic that is performed *after* a murder is committed.

Be that as it may, there's no way that Harry is the first person in the wizarding world whose life was saved by a loved one who died in their place! That magic may protect him but there's something else about Harry, something special that made the curse rebound. I think Harry could be an accidental horcrux... I developed the theory while reading the book... did no one else think that the HBP was Voldemort? I thought so for most of the book!

Also, about Snape being the HBP. Firstly, Slughorn says that Harry is BETTER than Snape at potions while harry is using the book. Shouldn't harry only be as good as snape, while using his book? He was never a dab hand at potions to begin with... Secondly, it says that the potions book was 50 years old. Forgive me if i'm wrong (i read the book on the release day and my memory is already fading!) but didn't harry guess that it belonged to someone who went to Hogwarts during his father's time (as snape did) and then figure out that that was not 50 years ago but more recently? 50 years ago fits in with the time when riddle was in hogwarts... it may seem rather irrelevant but perhaps snape was not the HBP... also consider... why would he call himself that? riddle however, was a half blood, which he knew all of his life... and he liked titles, i mean he's called lord now, so why not prince back then? could this then lead to the potions book itself being of more importance?

Harry's scar as a horcrux is also a good theory...

Upvote 0

WhirlwindMonk

D Knight - Master of Zefiris
Mar 6, 2005
A little city in Micigan during breaks and Grove C
Visit site
✟16,987.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The book belonged to Snape's mother who was at Hogwarts 50 years prior, and her last name was Prince. Then, she gave her potions book to Snape who named himself the Half Blood Prince.

Upvote 0

Andrea1982

Jul 23, 2005
✟227.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm still not convinced that Snape is really evil, I think that maybe Dumbledore was pleading with snape to kill him (to protect malfoy? to keep his place with voldomort?). It just didn't seem right that Dumbledore would plead for his life. I still think that it was a plan between Dumbledore and Snape. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He didn't use Crucio on Harry - another Death Eater did that. He told that person to leave Harry alone because he was the Dark Lord's to deal with. He protected Harry from that spell.

To answer the previous question, I did not think that Voldemort was the HBP because JKR had said in a number of interviews that it would not be Voldemort/Tom Riddle or Harry. I was very surprised that it was Snape, but after seeing the potions book and finding out about his and his mother's heritage, it makes sense now.

Upvote 0

Lupin

Flames of Fury
Jan 1, 2004
Derrider
✟661.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

I agree to agree to disagree..... Even though I also think that Harry couldn't be a horcrux.... But the fact is that we can't prove this because JK could change any of it by simply writing it down.

riddle however, was a half blood, which he knew all of his life... and he liked titles, i mean he's called lord now, so why not prince back then?

Riddle started calling himself Lord Voldemort while still in school. Why would he need 2 titles?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Heh...how long did it take you guys to read the book? We've been on vacation in California for the last two weeks, so I got the book when it came out...I think the American version is *slightly* different than the Canadian one in terms of exact wording, I know the covers usually are at least different so it'll be interesting to compare my book with my friends'.

How long did it take you guys to read the book? I was finished by Sunday night, and that is including a 5 hour car trip and 6 hour day excursion I didn't get to read during :D

I saw a quote somewhere, maybe it was on the back of the book, I forget...it said, "As Harry gets odler, Rowling gets better." I forget which reviewer said it, but that pretty much sums it up!

Question for you guys, maybe this has already been asked and discussed:

It looks like year seven will be a lot like life after Hogwarts would be even if Harry went to school. We know that Harry won't be back at school and Ron & Hermione probably won't be either, so it'll be a life after Hogwarts type book. So, if she is going to write one life after Hogwarts book in which actual schooling is not a big part of the book, why can't she write an eighth, ninth, and tenth book (or more!) detailing the characters' adult lives? Has anyone heard anything about any plans?

I wonder why nearly-headless Nick can be a ghost that is always present at Hogwarts, but Sirius and Dumbledore can't. :(

Upvote 0

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
One interesting thing that I've noticed in all the JKR interviews I've read is that she won't be writing any more Harry Potter books. She hasn't exactly said she wouldn't write any more books out of the Harry Potter universe, say about the characters that lived on from the final battle :) I really don't think she will, but it's food for thought.

I've been kind of surprised at how people have responded to the theory of Harry being a horcrux. This forum has been pretty mellow about it, but on another I frequent, the other posters were quite vehement about how Harry can't be a horcrux. I think people are just afraid to admit he actually might die in the end.

Upvote 0

jillpole

Jun 28, 2005
✟7,988.00
Faith
Christian
It looks like year seven will be a lot like life after Hogwarts would be even if Harry went to school. We know that Harry won't be back at school and Ron & Hermione probably won't be either, so it'll be a life after Hogwarts type book. So, if she is going to write one life after Hogwarts book in which actual schooling is not a big part of the book, why can't she write an eighth, ninth, and tenth book (or more!) detailing the characters' adult lives? Has anyone heard anything about any plans?

She might as well stop while she is on top. Many people can agree when a series has to many books the whole series turns sour.

I developed the theory while reading the book... did no one else think that the HBP was Voldemort? I thought so for most of the book!

I thought Voldemort was the HBP throughout the book and was suprised that Snape was. It also made me mad that Harry might of had something of voldemorts that he didn't give or even tell Dumbledore. i guess i was wrong.

Upvote 0

jillpole

Jun 28, 2005
✟7,988.00
Faith
Christian
oh another thing my sister pointed out.

does anyone else notice the great resemblence of Harry to Voldemort. Not the powers Voldemort transferred to Harry, but how Harry does a lot of the things he does out of anger and revenge. He isn't exceptionally nice to anyone besides his friends (but Harry does have friends) , and Harry isn't smart. He copies Hermione. (I am not saying that Voldemort wasn't, he was extremely smart.) But I am not that fond of Harry anymore. He is nothing like a friend that i would want to have. Though I love the books, just not Harry Potter anymore. Okay he does have some noble characteristics but he does share some nasty ones with Voldemort.

And all that snogging!!!

Upvote 0

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree Jill. I'm a Harry Potter fan inspite of Harry Potter. I don't like the character at all. Snape is right, though I believe quite by accident. Harry is full of himself and what annoys me even more is that he has a very one sided black and white view of what is going around.

On the topic of JK Rowling writing a book past the 7th, I just read an interview where she basically said she won't write anything liked to Harry Potter or any type of fantasy in general after the 7th. I imagine it is a simple matter of planning. She's got the 7 planned. She's known from the start where she's going. Why stuff it up by doing a book that was never necessary?

amazed_by_grace said:
B

Also, about Snape being the HBP. Firstly, Slughorn says that Harry is BETTER than Snape at potions while harry is using the book. Shouldn't harry only be as good as snape, while using his book? He was never a dab hand at potions to begin with...

Slughorn likes having favourites. Something tells me Snape wouldn't have been a favourite when he was at school. On the other hand, as Dumbledore said, Harry would be the jewel in his crown. He wants Harry in his circle. He strikes me as the type who makes use of flattery being one way to get people onside. SLughorn was simply brown nosing. Odd really, given he's the professor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amazed_by_grace

Aug 29, 2004
Ireland
✟505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In all the interviews I have read and seen with JK, she is very clear that book 7 will be the last. As Marissa said, she only planned for 7 books, so it would get messed up if she wrote more. Besides, I think its better left untold, I mean its pretty clear that Voldemort has to somehow come to and end in book 7, so where will the excitement come from after that? Sure, there'll be minor evil but as much as we may think we'll enjoy a book about how Harry lives happily ever after with Ginny, and Ron lives happily ever after with Hermione, lets face it, it would be quite boring. Plus, we get to have fun making up fanfics about the rest of their lives!!! :D

Also, about R.A.B being Regulus Black.... I really don't think so... my main argument against it is purely the fact that the whole internet has figured it out, and JK has never let us do that before... she said it was simple... but I doubt it's that simple... also, what no one seems to have considered is that R.A.B might not jus be initials of a name... they could be of a nickname (like H.B.P) or include some sort of title from the wizarding world that we're not aware of yet... I mean who ever heard of a Chief Warlock or a Supreme Mugwump before we read these books? I think that R.A.B will surprise us by being a character we know/knew quite well.... Another prediction for the 7th book is that Hagrid will get in on the action a little... its about time for him to do something astounding!

Upvote 0

amazed_by_grace

Aug 29, 2004
Ireland
✟505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
WhirlwindMonk said:
The book belonged to Snape's mother who was at Hogwarts 50 years prior, and her last name was Prince. Then, she gave her potions book to Snape who named himself the Half Blood Prince.

Thanks for clearing up my crazy theory! :) hehehe...

Upvote 0

Lupin

Flames of Fury
Jan 1, 2004
Derrider
✟661.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Plus, we get to have fun making up fanfics about the rest of their lives!!!

Well that's all good and dandy.... But some people arn't interested in fanfics. Personaly, I would like to see many more books come out. For someone who started reading this series in the fourth grade it's a big deal if she finishes the series.

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Pope Gonzo said:
I've been kind of surprised at how people have responded to the theory of Harry being a horcrux. This forum has been pretty mellow about it, but on another I frequent, the other posters were quite vehement about how Harry can't be a horcrux. I think people are just afraid to admit he actually might die in the end.

Heh. If Harry died, that would definitely be the conclusive ending we need, but it'd be pretty sad!

About that, though - and this is sort of a "real world" problem to killing Harry. When she first started the series, she probably knew where it was going long before any publisher ever considered her. So, if Harry was going to die, it would have been decided long before Harry Potter became the lifeblood of so many young children, and I doubt she foresaw how popular it would become. Erm, how do you think 10 and 11 year olds would respond if Harry was killed in the end? We've heard all kinds of crazy stories about what Harry Potter fans have done in response to the plot, so maybe Harry dying would provoke some pretty extreme real-life actions by uncontrollably passionate fans?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.