Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've seen it at a baptism, and I wholeheartedly agree with it. It's done to renounce Satan and the spirit of Satan; the ultimate insult in most every culture is to spit at someone. Let him be embittered.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's professing that you spit on the devil, meaning you are rejecting him and turning away from him toward God in the sacrament of baptism. Never heard about spitting to the east.

http://www.stgeorgerossford.org/ref...-repentance/16-understanding-the-holy-baptism

"The one to be baptized turns from Satan and joins oneself to Christ. In the Orthodox Baptism service this action begins when the candidate for baptism faces the west and renounces Satan three times, spits on him, then turns to the east and confesses that he unites himself to Christ three times, and then three times announces that he has united himself to Christ."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GBTWC

God bless the Working class
Apr 13, 2008
were am I ?!?
✟18,321.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dorothea said:
It's professing that you spit on the devil, meaning you are rejecting him and turning away from him toward God in the sacrament of baptism. Never heard about spitting to the east. "

Yep sorry I meant west ? dyslexia

Upvote 0

ma2000

Veteran
Feb 8, 2007
Romania
✟14,125.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps another greek can explain better when for instance a compliment is paid to a baby and the mom says "ftis ton".

:) I don't think they are related(baptism and complimenting babies). However, we do have that tradition in Romanian culture too. It's meant to protect the child from "the evil eye". Not that it's common. But I've seen it. And it's more the gesture, not the actual spitting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums