Oct 24, 2004
✟15,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a christian who believes in the existence of psychic phenomonen or mediumship as well as the ability to move energy, as in hands on healing or the use of reiki.

Reader Nilus,
Can you tell me more about being a mystic in the Eastern Orthodox Tradition?
Thank you, A.

Upvote 0

Cordelia

Temperamental Girl of God
Apr 14, 2004
Leeds, United Kingdom
✟10,155.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
amyu said:
I am a christian who believes in the existence of psychic phenomonen or mediumship as well as the ability to move energy, as in hands on healing or the use of reiki.
I believe in psychic phenomena and mediumship too! I don't know if I'm strictly a Spritualist, though. I don't know enough about it.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
amyu said:

Reader Nilus,
Can you tell me more about being a mystic in the Eastern Orthodox Tradition?
Thank you, A.
what is really the difference between let's say pentecostalism (meaning more than just the day of pentecost in acts) and let's say this psychic phenomonen or mediumship. i mean a psychic, goes into a room and senses another spirit. a pentecostal sensing demonic spirits. i mean what is really the difference? is it title difference in words both sides use, or is the spirit different? now moving engery, could that be worded as casting out demons? so there seems to be a close similiarity, just maybe differences in wording or in spirit?

i used to be into the pentecostal stuff. i still have some beliefs that were started from going to that church. things with the gifts of the spirit, and the spiritual aspect. but now, i still believe in that stuff, but i guess i am more concerned with showing love and grace to people to reach their spiritual needs, and getting my own faith back in tact. so i don't know if that is Christian spirituality or not, but i guess in my definition to be spiritual, is divine interaction with God, wheter if it is the weird stuff, or just the normal, everday reality we live in. you all can be the judge if i'm a spiritualist (probably the outcome will be no, haha :) ) God Bless you all! <><

Upvote 0

Gwynne

Dancin', dancin', dancin'!!!!!
Mar 17, 2004
Michigan
✟8,569.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tattedsaint said:
what is really the difference between let's say pentecostalism (meaning more than just the day of pentecost in acts) and let's say this psychic phenomonen or mediumship. i mean a psychic, goes into a room and senses another spirit. a pentecostal sensing demonic spirits. i mean what is really the difference? is it title difference in words both sides use, or is the spirit different? now moving engery, could that be worded as casting out demons? so there seems to be a close similiarity, just maybe differences in wording or in spirit?

i used to be into the pentecostal stuff. i still have some beliefs that were started from going to that church. things with the gifts of the spirit, and the spiritual aspect. but now, i still believe in that stuff, but i guess i am more concerned with showing love and grace to people to reach their spiritual needs, and getting my own faith back in tact. so i don't know if that is Christian spirituality or not, but i guess in my definition to be spiritual, is divine interaction with God, wheter if it is the weird stuff, or just the normal, everday reality we live in. you all can be the judge if i'm a spiritualist (probably the outcome will be no, haha :) ) God Bless you all! <><

I was baptised in a Pentecostal church, and the differences between what a Spirit-filled Pentecostal believes and does, and what most psychics believe and do are.... well they just aren't the same.

Many Pentecostals, and many other Christians as well believe in spiritual gifts, and one of those gifts may be the gift of prophecy or the gift of discerning spirits (two different gifts.

Many psychics believe in natural gifts. The difference is that a Christian believes spiritual gifts are given to you only after you are saved and only by the grace of God. Most psychics believe the gifts are natural, in-born talents, and that anyone, with proper training, can access these abilities.

The acknowledged source of the gifts is often different as well. While a good number of psychics acknowledge God as the source of their talent, a large number don't, and attribute it to nature, to other deities or whatever.

Also, not all psychics discern or contact spirits. When I was a practicing psychic (professional, made oodles of money...) I used Runes and Tarot cards to "tap into my natural abilities." I was pretty durned accurate too. But here's the kicker. I wasn't 100% accurate. There were a few times when I was wrong. They were easily explained away and brushed off, however after I became a Christian I realized a very, very important thing. Any prophecy, statement, prediction, etc... that does not come true is NOT from God. And any psychic, prophet, seer, etc... that is not 100% accurate is not working under the grace of God, even if they think they are.

And that's an important thing. Because many, many people think that they are doing God's will, but when their thoughts, ideas and actions are examined, you will find that they contradict the Bible completely. To justify their own actions, they have to cut the Bible to bits and pieces and reinterpret everything in it! I used to do this myself, and I am working on that. The closer I come to God, the more I see my own faults and exactly how to change them!

Upvote 0

Abiel

Missionary
Jul 24, 2004
East Anglia
✟38,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mustaphile said:
I have always liked a bit of mystery in my life. I'm fascinated by the tendency of women to be more open to these concepts than men. What's with that?

Once read a sermon thing where we were warned that women were more likely to be into this stuff, and be witches too, and that's why we shouldn't lead or teach in church. I guess it was thought we would be off casting spells on you chaps to enslave you all!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gwynne said:
Many Pentecostals, and many other Christians as well believe in spiritual gifts, and one of those gifts may be the gift of prophecy or the gift of discerning spirits (two different gifts.)

Many psychics believe in natural gifts. The difference is that a Christian believes spiritual gifts are given to you only after you are saved and only by the grace of God. Most psychics believe the gifts are natural, in-born talents, and that anyone, with proper training, can access these abilities.
Some people calling themselves Christian spiritualists beleive that Paul is talking about physic gifts and mediumship in his lists of spiritual gifts. However as someone who is Christian but has a sister whos a medium I can say they are not the same thing. All the gifts in a genuine Charasmatic (pentecostal) Christian church are from the Holy Spirit and therefore can only be peformed by born-again Christians in Jesus' name. To all those spiritualists who point to the Bible as justification for things like contacting the dead and reiki healing I ask you "Can non-Christians do what you are into? Can they be done without a beleif in God or Jesus as God?" If the answer is yes then how can these gifts be from the Holy Spirit when people who dont beleive in Jesus can use them? Also what good does contacting the dead do for God or the gospel.
The Bible warns us about contacting the dead and engaging in phsyic activity. When Paul warns about this he is not being narrow minded but trying to stop people from being hurt.

I am not being judgemental here. But I would encourage everyone to at least question the paranormal activity they are involved in. Are these spirits really ghosts of the deceased or could they be imposters?

Upvote 0

Abiel

Missionary
Jul 24, 2004
East Anglia
✟38,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bonhoffer said:
Are these spirits really ghosts of the deceased or could they be imposters?
A family member went to a Spiritualist meeting and a recently deceased relative 'came through'. The spirit knew enough to pass, but also told lies and was evasive. IMO, one of two things were occuring. Either the medium was lying, or an evil spirit was masquerading as my relative.

Upvote 0

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Abiel said:
A family member went to a Spiritualist meeting and a recently deceased relative 'came through'. The spirit knew enough to pass, but also told lies and was evasive. IMO, one of two things were occuring. Either the medium was lying, or an evil spirit was masquerading as my relative.
I used to go to mediums and tarot card readers before I was a Christian. I was fully convinced by it by the accuracy that came through. I got stuff about stuff I never told any one else and also stuff about other people that there was no way the medium could know. However I now realise that demons know our thoughts, our past and about our relatives. Therefore deception isnt too difficult for them. They will know all about what peoples deceased relatives looked like, were like in personality and what they did in their life. With so much information at their finger tips it is easy for them to masqurade as anyone.

Upvote 0