Spiritual Gifts - should we use them ?

spiritual gifts - should we use them

• yes, they are God given and ours to use freely

• Not sure, it's all a bit confusing

• No, I do not believe that we are to use the spiritual gifts in our lives today.

• I don't have an opinion on this either way

Results are only viewable after voting.

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
I would imagine that there would be a little diversity of opinion caused by this thread.  There are those who hold to the belief that gifts of the spirit died with the prophets and then there are those that regard spiritual gifts as a blessing to be used in their daily lives.

Gift's i'm thinking of in particular are those of prophecy/tongues/spiritual discernment/healing.  I've been witness to some strange happenings in my walk with God-not all of them from God.  I know that sometimes misquided Christians with an overly zealous attitude (usually those new to Christianity) have caused untold distress and confusion with their "prophecying" and claims of spiritual discernment,but equally it has to be said that God's word is usually crystal clear when spoken through prophecy and sometimes you just know in your gut that the words being spoken come from no human heart or mind.

Are the gifts that we  use in our daily lives always a gift from God ?  I believe that we have to use our ability to discern whether or not they always come from God, or from man or Satan. It is good to be eager to spread the Word.  It is another thing to do this for reasons of feeling self importance or to feel blessed in such a way that you feel you are specifically "chosen" to do so by way of an earthly desire to appear to be on a higher plain than your fellow Christians. 

ukok 

Doreen

Can I go back to sleep now?
Mar 9, 2003
Australia
Visit site
✟7,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I think that the gifts God has given us like healing, prophecy and stuff are to be used in the way that God wants them used. I've been prayed for by a couple of ladies and without telling them everything what was going on God told them what I had no intention of telling anyone - my stomach almost fell out of me. The things they told me were things that God had been speaking to me about for a long time - I just couldn't deal with them. Good thing is that they got dealt with.

Upvote 0

Never2Heavy

<font face="arial"><div style="width:100%; filter:
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
✟133.00
Faith
Methodist
I think that God has given us all gifts (see I Corinthians 12:1-11). Some are more spiritual than others, but they all bring glory to God. And I think that is where I judge the legitimacy of gifts.

“Do the gifts (tongues, prophecy, healing, etc.) bring glory to God?”

Unfortunately, I see a lot of gifts that bring glory to the (so-called) healer or the prophet more so than God.

Just what is in my heart...

Regards,
Mike

1 Corinthians 12 (NIV)

Spiritual Gifts

1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. 2You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.
4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that God gives Spiritual gifts today. I am speaking mainly of tongues. Certainly God can heal and is able to, I have seen this happen with a friend whom the doctors said would probably die and her cancer went into remission. I have seen Godly people be prayed over and still be called home to the Lord (Kevin, I still think of you in heaven my friend). I still believe though too much emphasis is being placed on spiritual "gifts" in our lives and no enough on the "fruits" of the Spirit. Unlike Spiritual gifts, teh believer is to have "ALL" of the spiritual fruits alive in their lives. I know I don't, and I am humbling myself before God. I don't understand how He is going help me in my weakness but I know the Bible promises me that He is able. That He will continue a good work in me until its complete, and that nothing can take me from His hand. I'm walking in that simple faith, and I'm trusting Him...no matter how much doubt satan tries to tell me; nor how much men try to scoff at me. I'm trusting Jesus.

Upvote 0

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
my sister, who loves Jesus with every fiber of her being, feels i'm unsaved because I don't speak in tongues. She weeps for me on a daily basis; believes that I love Jesus, but still thinks I'm not in heaven. it sorrows me that she feels that way

Upvote 0

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Reeann, it does not state in the Bible that only those who speak in tongues are to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. You should probably kindly tell your sister not to weep. Read aloud John 3:16 : "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that ( and here's the crucial part reeann) whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life".

I mean no offence to your sister, but what version of the Bible does she read ?

It seems quite straightforward to me.
ukok

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I think that the gifts God has given us like healing, prophecy and stuff are to be used in the way that God wants them used.

totally agree with you Doreen. :) Even Paul said what's the use of speaking in tongue if it couldn't benefit others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/39600.html

The link above I have posted here because it comes into direct line with the question of Gifts of the Spirit.

I have come under fire for my Gift from God and to be quite truthful with you I'm tired of the ignorance.&nbsp; If you read this pray that God remove our ignorance of Him.

I have been around people who know more then I do about the Bible and it is clear to me they just don't get it.&nbsp; Does that make me boastful, proud, judgemental arrogant?&nbsp; No.&nbsp;But if you say it does then it is as you say and you will never know the truth.&nbsp; Who you believe I am does not change who I am.&nbsp; See a little Jesus in my words here.

Praise God I can see.&nbsp; I believe the word to be true and have tested it by applying it myself and with God I know all things are possible.&nbsp; Thank you Jesus.&nbsp; I have the ability to write just like the authors of the Bible.&nbsp; I can write the truth that the Holy Spirit dictates to me.&nbsp; I am His secretary.&nbsp; I could write volumes of truth and God would confirm every letter of it.&nbsp; God is not bound by mere words He is the word.&nbsp; For in the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.

Since His word by the Holy Spirit is in me then I know the Truth and It has set me free.

Thank you Lord that I know I need no one to teach me the Truth because I have you and you have sent me them and I know who they are because You tell me.&nbsp; I listen to you and I hear you and you teach me and I learn from you.&nbsp; It is how I know that I can say with absolute Authority what is right and what is wrong.&nbsp; You Lord are God and you do not lie.&nbsp; I share your word and lie not myself.&nbsp; Blessed is the one who sees and knows the truth for they are called the friends of God.&nbsp; Honor and Glory to you forevermore.

&nbsp;:clap: :clap:

Upvote 0

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I could not vote on this as the options given are not the problem but the gifts in which you listed are. The time for many of the gifts you mentioned has past (prophecy/tongues/spiritual/healing - healing in the sense that it is a gift that we can heal as it was done in the NT). The ones that haven't we should us with discerment and use wisely.

Upvote 0

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The gift of prophecy became unnecessary when God's Word was completed. When the apostles were alive and writting the Word, it was inspired by God and was revealed to them by God. But the Bible has been completed.

1 Corinthians 13:8-11 "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away."

Here Paul is saying that prophecies, tongues and knowledge shall be put away, they will no longer happen. What does knowledge mean here? It means that new knowledge of God that is revealed by visions, dreams, and prophecy. These being revelatory gifts. It says that when that which is perfect is come being the Word of the Lord, that that which is in part shall be done away with. The Word of the Lord is completed, the Bible is completed, the time has passed on these things.

Revelation 22:18-21 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

The Bible is very specific here that first, we are not to add to this book or to take away from this book. Notice it says that the Bible is a book of prophecy, that was the means in which it was given. This are the last verses of the Bible, these are the last words of prophecy that God has given man. The Bible is complete, it is finished.

Revelation 21:5-6 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

It is finished, it is done. God's revelation to man is completed. God said it Himself, it is done, there is no more to be written. There is only one Word and that is the one which has been written. There is no new word, there is no new prophecy, the Word is complete and these things have passed away. Since Revelation is the culmination of all prophecy given by God to man, we have no need for any new additional prophecy. What needs to be done is to study the Word as it was given by God.

Upvote 0

ukok

Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
I have a slight problem in believing those who claim the gift of&nbsp;prophecy. As has been bought to my attention from a fellow Christian friend -&nbsp;&nbsp;the Bible gives us four tests of true prophecy.

Fullfilled predictions

Consistency with the Bible

God's guidance in adversity

Life and works

Since all Biblical prophets fulfilled all of the above, it is hard to believe the claims of those who only profess to being guided by the spirit to predict future event's or profess to be used as a vessel to speak to the masses.
Sorry if my post strikes a chord, I have no wish to offend, simply defend scripture. I am aware of the accusations that are frequently made against those who are considered 'narrow minded' and "closed", but it is not closed minded to consider the Bible of the upmost importance, were it not for the Bible are you sure that you would have got to hear God speak to you?

Imagine that you had no idea about your nature being sinful and the need of repentance, imagine that you had not the Bible to guide you through your life journey. How has your life been enriched by the careful study of scripture, does it not uphold you, fill you with hope, guide you ?

The Bible - the best sold book in the world ! Without the Bible to back up your beliefs, you are basing your ideas on your sole interpretation of what you believe God to be saying to you specifically, this causes a person to be on very shaky ground. The Bible is a bountiful resource for all who live, breath and are willing to accept it as Truth. It is not for a few individuals to express the opinion that they have been chosen to interpret it in a&nbsp;different way, or in a way that is not wholly from God.

&nbsp;It is not for us to twist and turn scripture, but to read it as it was written, to neither add to it nor take anything away from it.

ukok

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Yesterday at 05:35 PM Fresh_ers said this in Post #15

The Bible clearly states:

"For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known." (1 Cor. 13:9-12)

"That which is perfect" has not yet come. When we leave this body and go to be with the Lord in Perfection, then we will have no need of the Gifts of the Spirit. When Jesus returns with those who have already passed over, as well as those who remain and are caught up to be with Him, then we will have no need of the Gifts of the Spirit. Until such time, the Gifts of the Spirit will be in use of those who Believe.

One thing that religious people, especially "leaders", don't like about the Gifts of the Spirit is the lack of control they have over those in whom they dwell and through whom they function. When Jesus Christ imparts a Gift through His Spirit, it is controlled only by the Spirit of God, not the manipulations and will of people. Thus, those seeking control and dominion over other's Faith get frustrated with the Gifts being in practice. As a result, the teachings began about them not being a part of Believer's lives now. The prime example of this is our Lord, when He walked on this earth. The religious leaders hated Him because they couldn't control Him.

If you received a Gift of the Spirit, then you can be assured that it will not function apart from His Will, as well as in accordance with His Word. Sure, you may need some time to adjust to its presence in you and functioning through you. You will also need some training as how to react when the Spirit of God begins to prompt you to move in the Gift. There's no need to back away or be worried about offending people, just keep your heart and mind focused on Jesus and be intent on hearing His Voice direct you.

Well said.&nbsp; What you wrote here gave me fortification.&nbsp; It was written with great precision.

Upvote 0

MyangelDems

TGBTG
Jan 15, 2003
cali
Visit site
✟303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday at 12:15 PM ukok said this in Post #14

I have a slight problem in believing those who claim the gift of&nbsp;prophecy. As has been bought to my attention from a fellow Christian friend -&nbsp;&nbsp;the Bible gives us four tests of true prophecy.

Fullfilled predictions

Consistency with the Bible

God's guidance in adversity

Life and works

Since all Biblical prophets fulfilled all of the above, it is hard to believe the claims of those who only profess to being guided by the spirit to predict future event's or profess to be used as a vessel to speak to the masses.
Sorry if my post strikes a chord, I have no wish to offend, simply defend scripture. I am aware of the accusations that are frequently made against those who are considered 'narrow minded' and "closed", but it is not closed minded to consider the Bible of the upmost importance, were it not for the Bible are you sure that you would have got to hear God speak to you?

Imagine that you had no idea about your nature being sinful and the need of repentance, imagine that you had not the Bible to guide you through your life journey. How has your life been enriched by the careful study of scripture, does it not uphold you, fill you with hope, guide you ?

The Bible - the best sold book in the world ! Without the Bible to back up your beliefs, you are basing your ideas on your sole interpretation of what you believe God to be saying to you specifically, this causes a person to be on very shaky ground. The Bible is a bountiful resource for all who live, breath and are willing to accept it as Truth. It is not for a few individuals to express the opinion that they have been chosen to interpret it in a&nbsp;different way, or in a way that is not wholly from God.

&nbsp;It is not for us to twist and turn scripture, but to read it as it was written, to neither add to it nor take anything away from it.

ukok

Nomad does not say that he doesnt&nbsp;believe in the bible, on the contrary he does...he is saying that God speaks as well, and when He does His spoken word does not conflict with His written word....so thus I'm not sure why you responded in such a way? I do not think you close-minded, it is right of you to test all things and all claims, if we do not do so we put ourselves in alot of danger from the enemy. I don't generally speak to many people, those I do....they never...ever disagree with what God said. And they never will, they can look for scriptures to back it up in the bible, but God's word will always hold true....if it is God, and that in itself is the main test. To me God speaks and I hear or I read His word and He speaks and I hear, to you He might speak through the Word only, or not as much in one as the other, but both should never conflict, otherwise something is not in sync. So really we have no need to twist scripture if it is God, anything else will fall short.

Upvote 0
Today at 02:30 PM MyangelDems said this in Post #18

Nomad does not say that he doesnt&nbsp;believe in the bible, on the contrary he does...he is saying that God speaks as well, and when He does His spoken word does not conflict with His written word....so thus I'm not sure why you responded in such a way? I do not think you close-minded, it is right of you to test all things and all claims, if we do not do so we put ourselves in alot of danger from the enemy. I don't generally speak to many people, those I do....they never...ever disagree with what God said. And they never will, they can look for scriptures to back it up in the bible, but God's word will always hold true....if it is God, and that in itself is the main test. To me God speaks and I hear or I read His word and He speaks and I hear, to you He might speak through the Word only, or not as much in one as the other, but both should never conflict, otherwise something is not in sync. So really we have no need to twist scripture if it is God, anything else will fall short.

MyangelDems,

According to the word of god which is the bible which I know to have been written by Holy men of God moved by The Holy spirit it says that in whatsoever you do to your brother that you have done to me.&nbsp; Know since I believe that to be absolutely the truth as is written in the Bible I am now going to apply it.&nbsp; Since you spoke kindly of me and defended me you spoke kindly to and defended Jesus.&nbsp; That is a good deed and a good fruit.&nbsp;Thank you because I was hungry and you fed me.&nbsp; When you fed me you fed Jesus who's Spirit lives in me.&nbsp; I am sorry if some people don't get it that God didn't stop inspiring men to write His words.&nbsp; It saddens me because I know that if they only believed the Holy Spirit would dictate to each and everyone of them a personal letter from God to them, through them to them to be reflected upon as there own Personal Letter from God.&nbsp; What a Gift.&nbsp; And worse yet it's all right there in the Bible Gods promise to us that He could if we'd let Him.&nbsp; I know that some do and aren't really aware of it when they write in there Journals.

The Bible clearly tells us that we are to know God.&nbsp; How can we know Him without accepting and experiencing His abilities?&nbsp; When we do like He does with what He gives in the way of spiritual gifts we Grow in the Knowledge of Him.&nbsp; We become more Like Him.

May God Bless You :pray:

Upvote 0