Spiritual experiences before and after being 'saved'.

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Pressure
Pushing down on me
Pushing down on you, no man ask for
Under pressure"
I Heard someone describe that using the song 'under pressure'

You shouldn't look at it that way, He's your father. You're not inadequate,
He created you on purpose and has given you a purpose.
Yes I know he is.. maybe because I didn't have the best relationship with my own father growing up, and my heavenly father view was skewed to see God as a disciplinarian? I always felt like the inadequate kid either way.

I believe God speaks/answers in a myriad of ways.. songs have always been a thing for me to in the past.. I had a dream at the start of this year, I've had 2 dreams from God that I know of. Anyway, it was mainly the end of the dream just before I woke up. Dawn was breaking and a red cardinal came and landed on a branch and chirped/called and I woke up. Immediately a song from a chewing gum advert started playing, 'fresh breath'.. I remember that I still laugh, I don't know why I've been going in loops this past year but God is so funny and so GOOD! Why I'm still nervous or afraid or whatever I don't know.. I suffer my own foolishness

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suffer my own foolishness
Sadly that's a problem i too have.

the Night i repented before the LORD, he awoke me 3 times to Psalms 121:8 and the following morning my heart was full of GLADNESS (hallelujah)

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Pipp@, welcome to the forum. It's funny, I was relating about an experience I had before becoming a Christian on another thread, just yesterday. I'll leave a link if you want to read it, rather than me copying it here.

Since becoming a Christian, though, I still occasionally get what I would call psychic attacks and felt presences. I've never had anything I could say was on the grossly physical level, but as Christians we believe in the supernatural anyway, don't we? IOW just because it isn't physical doesn't make it any less real. This is also how we have assurance of God's reality, and that Jesus is as alive today as He was when he walked the earth.

Like you, any voices I've heard have come more from inside than out. There was one fairly recently that I recall; a demonic face that sneered at me and said "Happy Birthday". It was very creepy and unsettling; I didn't even understand why it would say that, as the date was not significant to anything that I can remember. But I turn it over to God, through the Word and the Spirit.

I've come to view these experiences as a blessing, so long as I use them to rely on Christ. Only through Him can I hope to be delivered from the terror and anguish, because these entities are real and they do seek to kill and destroy, and how much more effectively can they achieve their objective than by making you question your reality. I'm sure they would love to see me sink into the black depressions of my old self. But no! I am hid with Christ in God, and I am a new creation, a child of God. There is nothing to fear for us because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. (1 John 4:4)

God Bless Pipp@, you are not alone in this. I pray God will use your experiences to bring you closer to Him.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Pressure
Pushing down on me
Pushing down on you, no man ask for
Under pressure"
I Heard someone describe that using the song 'under pressure'

You shouldn't look at it that way, He's your father. You're not inadequate,
He created you on purpose and has given you a purpose.
What is your interpretation of being 'chosen'?

I have asked God why I have to experience some of these things.. I guess a 'why me' attitude.. the answer was 'chosen'.. but isn't everyone who is saved chosen? Do you believe God doesn't give you more than you can handle or do you think sometimes he makes it so difficult we have no choice but to rely on him?

I know I shouldn't complain, I should be grateful, yet sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world experiencing what I'm experiencing and in a way it sets my mind up to think I'm being picked on.. it's probably just the enemy using my past but I really wish I was going through something others could relate to

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is your interpretation of being 'chosen'?

I have asked God why I have to experience some of these things.. I guess a 'why me' attitude.. the answer was 'chosen'.. but isn't everyone who is saved chosen? Do you believe God doesn't give you more than you can handle or do you think sometimes he makes it so difficult we have no choice but to rely on him?

I know I shouldn't complain, I should be grateful, yet sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world experiencing what I'm experiencing and in a way it sets my mind up to think I'm being picked on.. it's probably just the enemy using my past but I really wish I was going through something others could relate to
My Experiences with "chosen" is, though i heard the LORD, I denied him. He called me to repent and I denied him yet again. the first time i denied him i knew nothing about him really other than a few Sunday school classes as a kid as i wasn't raised or brought up christian. But he called me back and put his GODLY sorrow on me and i wept for several days and he accepted my repentance, Hallelujah! but this time i had an urgency come over me to leave where i currently reside. I didn't and it was around 2 weeks after he accepted my repentance that i accepted a sinful thought and transgressed against him. I haven't heard him since. So in my case, not everyone who hears him obey, i didn't. i keep praying he'll speak to me but things have gotten worse for me since i came to repentance and i keep praying, because GOD IS GOOD and regardless. I Know in my heart his Judgement is True. Because though i heard him, i didn't obey him and though his sheep do hear his voice i didn't obey. So all i can tell you is from where i stand at least to me, being his includes obeying his VOICE.

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @Pipp@, welcome to the forum. It's funny, I was relating about an experience I had before becoming a Christian on another thread, just yesterday. I'll leave a link if you want to read it, rather than me copying it here.

Since becoming a Christian, though, I still occasionally get what I would call psychic attacks and felt presences. I've never had anything I could say was on the grossly physical level, but as Christians we believe in the supernatural anyway, don't we? IOW just because it isn't physical doesn't make it any less real. This is also how we have assurance of God's reality, and that Jesus is as alive today as He was when he walked the earth.

Like you, any voices I've heard have come more from inside than out. There was one fairly recently that I recall; a demonic face that sneered at me and said "Happy Birthday". It was very creepy and unsettling; I didn't even understand why it would say that, as the date was not significant to anything that I can remember. But I turn it over to God, through the Word and the Spirit.

I've come to view these experiences as a blessing, so long as I use them to rely on Christ. Only through Him can I hope to be delivered from the terror and anguish, because these entities are real and they do seek to kill and destroy, and how much more effectively can they achieve their objective than by making you question your reality. I'm sure they would love to see me sink into the black depressions of my old self. But no! I am hid with Christ in God, and I am a new creation, a child of God. There is nothing to fear for us because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. (1 John 4:4)

God Bless Pipp@, you are not alone in this. I pray God will use your experiences to bring you closer to Him.
Hey thanks for the warm welcome.. I read your post on the other thread, I find it interesting because I have so many questions as to what's real and what's not (by that I mean of God or not), recently I shared some of my awakening story with another Christian who told me when I tried to remember my childhood memories that I was doing meditation and I opened a door. But I never intentionally meditated, I mentally dug through memories for 3 days, willing my mind to go back and back into the past that I'd blocked for so long. My experience started with my Grandmother who had passed not long before that.. when I was saved I immediately put it into the enemy territory because the bible talks about spirits being demonic.

But I keep going back and questioning the rest of the experience, if from the enemy, why would I be shown Jesus is King? Why would I be shown he is sovereign over all? So much more to it, but the enemy is always trying to steer us away from Jesus, why would I be shown this when I was in the depths of despair, practically on my spiritual death bed... that's where the enemy would've wanted me to stay right? It's all just so confusing when you go to the bible alone for the answers

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know I shouldn't complain, I should be grateful, yet sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world experiencing what I'm experiencing and in a way it sets my mind up to think I'm being picked on..
Pray Without Ceasing and Praise GOD. Is all i can tell you.

Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My Experiences with "chosen" is, though i heard the LORD, I denied him. He called me to repent and I denied him yet again. the first time i denied him i knew nothing about him really other than a few Sunday school classes as a kid as i wasn't raised or brought up christian. But he called me back and put his GODLY sorrow on me and i wept for several days and he accepted my repentance, Hallelujah! but this time i had an urgency come over me to leave where i currently reside. I didn't and it was around 2 weeks after he accepted my repentance that i accepted a sinful thought and transgressed against him. I haven't heard him since. So in my case, not everyone who hears him obey, i didn't. i keep praying he'll speak to me but things have gotten worse for me since i came to repentance and i keep praying, because GOD IS GOOD and regardless. I Know in my heart his Judgement is True. Because though i heard him, i didn't obey him and though his sheep do hear his voice i didn't obey. So all i can tell you is from where i stand at least to me, being his includes obeying his VOICE.
You're so right.. I've been in a similar position. Things got much worse and they're still not better but I'm starting to come to the end of myself and my own will now after a full year after repenting. I don’t think God gives up on us so easily, if he did, he would have given up on me. I would deserve that. But I'm learning recently I have to seek him, not just wait for answers. I think this forum helped to put that into perspective for me again. It can be a real struggle for all of us sometimes

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Like you, any voices I've heard have come more from inside than out. There was one fairly recently that I recall; a demonic face that sneered at me and said "Happy Birthday". It was very creepy and unsettling; I didn't even understand why it would say that, as the date was not significant to anything that I can remember.
You made me recall some specific things with your post.. firstly, when the voices were audible to my ears before I was saved I thought them human, afterwards, when I knew they were demonic they were still audible and the most intense was after I rejected them, turned back to God, they were so overwhelming mentally and tried to get me to doubt my salvation and to kill myself. I have had suicidal thoughts in the past but never like that and my Grandmother used to say suicide was wrong in Gods eyes so I could never go through with it. And something on the inside was like just hold on. God maybe? I don’t know. So at its most intense I checked myself into hospital. God has healed me of things the past year but I've had several attacks where I feel like I'm re-experiencing humans saying things and getting paranoid but I look up Ephesians 6:12 and my mental clarity returns.

God has tested me a lot during this year as well and long story short, during one of these episodes I was in a takeout shop, a woman shop assistant who I've previously thought was a joyous jubilant sort of person (always cracking jokes and making everyone laugh), would not look at me while I was ordering, just had a scowl on her face and I'm confused asking God internally what's wrong with her, I'm smiling and being polite and immediately as she passed my food my eyes went down to her right hand and my eyes kind of 'zoomed in' to the ring she was wearing, it was a witchcraft symbol and I was just astounded.. I've had a few experiences like that recently.

I was getting better at discerning thoughts since my battle is mainly in my mind and belief system, I was thinking of what to gift to get a lady from church and a voice came and said 'she would love some foxglove', and I immediately remember my sister had it growing in her backyard rental home and that it is poisonous... pretty vile creatures we deal with here hey! I go backwards and forwards in my progress unfortunately but I am glad for people like you who remind me of what I must focus on

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hey thanks for the warm welcome.. I read your post on the other thread, I find it interesting because I have so many questions as to what's real and what's not (by that I mean of God or not), recently I shared some of my awakening story with another Christian who told me when I tried to remember my childhood memories that I was doing meditation and I opened a door. But I never intentionally meditated, I mentally dug through memories for 3 days, willing my mind to go back and back into the past that I'd blocked for so long. My experience started with my Grandmother who had passed not long before that.. when I was saved I immediately put it into the enemy territory because the bible talks about spirits being demonic.

But I keep going back and questioning the rest of the experience, if from the enemy, why would I be shown Jesus is King? Why would I be shown he is sovereign over all? So much more to it, but the enemy is always trying to steer us away from Jesus, why would I be shown this when I was in the depths of despair, practically on my spiritual death bed... that's where the enemy would've wanted me to stay right? It's all just so confusing when you go to the bible alone for the answers
I think what the enemy would be quite happy with is constant questioning also. To use the example I gave from my last post, I could have (and tbh am still tempted to do sometimes) really questioned, questioned, questioned the meaning of those words "Happy Birthday" that were so disturbingly presented.

I clearly knew that was not from God, but nonetheless perhaps the objective was to get me to question, and in so doing taking my eyes off Jesus. With experiences that are not so easy to discern - such as yours - then I would say this calls for the gift of discernment, testing the spirits, and seeing what the fruit is that is coming from them. If you look at the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) does the experience edify you in these attributes, or something else. I don't know exactly what happened with the experience you describe, but it sounds as though God was revealing something to you; and that is the Truth of Jesus Christ as Lord of all.

As you know, the Christian path is not a bed of roses. God can and will use terrible circumstances to bring you closer to him. I think of how Paul was given a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of satan, but that God said to him that "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness". (2nd Corinthians 12:7-10)

i would second what J Mick said above, in that  continually praying, praising, worshipping, meditating, thinking about, and developing your relationship with Christ is of utmost importance. That and His Word as found in the Bible. He will guide you to all Truth and as you grow you will develop your ability to discern the good from the bad.

Focus on Him, rather than all the other drama, then you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think what the enemy would be quite happy with is constant questioning also. To use the example I gave from my last post, I could have (and tbh am still tempted to do sometimes) really questioned, questioned, questioned the meaning of those words "Happy Birthday" that were so disturbingly presented.

I clearly knew that was not from God, but nonetheless perhaps the objective was to get me to question, and in so doing taking my eyes off Jesus. With experiences that are not so easy to discern - such as yours - then I would say this calls for the gift of discernment, testing the spirits, and seeing what the fruit is that is coming from them. If you look at the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) does the experience edify you in these attributes, or something else. I don't know exactly what happened with the experience you describe, but it sounds as though God was revealing something to you; and that is the Truth of Jesus Christ as Lord of all.

As you know, the Christian path is not a bed of roses. God can and will use terrible circumstances to bring you closer to him. I think of how Paul was given a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of satan, but that God said to him that "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness". (2nd Corinthians 12:7-10)

i would second what J Mick said above, in that  continually praying, praising, worshipping, meditating, thinking about, and developing your relationship with Christ is of utmost importance. That and His Word as found in the Bible. He will guide you to all Truth and as you grow you will develop your ability to discern the good from the bad.

Focus on Him, rather than all the other drama, then you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free.
Yes you're right.. I've always been an overthinker, dissecting everything.

I can't describe my awakening experience in detail, it would be longer than this thread. And I also feel I might just get bible passages thrown at me, rather than any helpful insight.

The gist of it was positive, but to my mind so bizarre. I didn't want to be the odd one out so I went back to 'the world'. Culture, ideoligies etc.
I have been questioning because it's so simple, and the world makes things so complicated, especially when discussing God.

Maybe further along in my journey with God I will share it, it doesn't seem like everyone is interested in sharing experiences.. maybe some are between us and God, IDK but sometimes I think if I did share it then it might make it easier for someone else's journey.

The Crux of it was Jesus is KING. I was shown where to look as I was walking. Everything pointed to Jesus. I had an inner flowing of energy from the spirit of love and joy and most of all gratitude. I had word plays and scripture come to mind (at the time never read the bible).

An example of words being emphasised were things like UPRIGHT (righteousness) I knew it wasn't me that was keeping me upright and walking it was his spirit within me. This was a dialogue during this experience so I can't express it all in a story like fashion. The biggest thing I felt in the spirit that day is the life God gave us is a gift, he made us to SHARE in it all with him. I felt so much gratitude, like, how wonderful and amazing a God to choose to give us life to share in his creation and his love. And LOVE IS THE TRUTH was a constant phrase on that note... it kinda sounds daggy when I write it down but the experience wasn't.

I don’t know why I allowed the enemy to steal that from me and darken me, but God has softened my heart of stone yet again. It's this surrender thing, my mind can never get used to it but when God knocks on your heart in certain circumstances it's hard to resist because you realise his ways make so much more sense

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, I'd want to state two important things:

1) Christianity is a religion. Religion isn't a bad word, so we shouldn't try to separate Christianity from the term "religion"; but rather should recognize that real, true, and good religion can only be found in Jesus Christ.

2) Catholicism is Christianity. Just as Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy are Christianity. Just as Lutheranism, Anglicanism, Methodism, Baptistism(?), Presbyterianism, etc are all Christianity too. Roman Catholics are Christians. Christianity, as a religion, encompasses a diverse number of denominations and theological traditions that all descend, in some way or another, from the original religion of Jesus' apostles. Which is closest to that, and how one determines what is the most faithful form of Christianity is kind of the whole argument everyone has and why everyone goes to their church rather than to another church. But it is critical to understand that as long as we are confessing the same core faith (as expressed in the Nicene Creed) we are Christians.

Back to the topic at hand:

I've never experienced "voices", and so I lack an experiential perspective; but I am inclined to assume that this could be psychological rather than demonic in nature in most cases. Not all cases, but I think there is both spiritual and psychological harm that can come by assuming the demonic before eliminating the psychological as cause.

With that said, I do not want to tell anyone that their experience isn't real or true. And so am going to proceed on assumption that we are dealing with the demonic.

In the Lutheran tradition there is actually quite a bit on the subject. Martin Luther was rather quite vocal about his own spiritual, psychological, and emotional struggles as a Christian. And regularly addressed the devil's lying tongue in his writings. One of the most famous things he had to write on the subject is actually in his most famous hymn, "A Mighty Fortress is Our God", here is the third stanza:

"And though this world, with devils filled,
should threaten to undo us,
we will not fear, for God has willed
His truth to triumph through us.
The prince of darkness grim,
we tremble not for him;
his rage we can endure,
for lo! his doom is sure;
one little word shall fell him.
"

Later on Luther specifically addresses what "one little word" means here. When Luther wrote "one little word", he was really saying that the tiniest, simplest, word can strike the devil down. So Luther writes that the one little word is "liar" or "devil, you lie". Calling the devil a liar to his face knocks him on his behind, strikes him down, and leaves him powerless. Recall what St. James writes in his letter,

"Resist the devil and he will flee." (James 4:7).

Our faith is in Christ, who has defeated the devil. The devil has already lost. The devil has already been defeated. The devil was defeated at Calvary, the devil was defeated when Jesus walked out of that tomb alive. Jesus ascended and sits at the right hand of the Father, and the devil has already been struck down and defeated--we have no need to fear him. The devil's power has been reduced to ashes, because Christ is Victor.

So we can endure the rage of the devil, Christ is with us.

So when the devil comes with his pack of lies, when he shoves your sins back in your face, stand firm in Christ, abide in Jesus and His word, tell the devil "devil, you lie".

To quote Luther,

"So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: 'I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!'"

Or as my pastor said in a discussion just this last week, "The devil is a lame-o".

For in Christ we are more than conquerors.
In Christ we have victory over sin, death, hell, and the devil.
In Christ all of our sins have been washed away.
In Christ we have been pardoned, and all debts canceled.
In Christ the power of death has been destroyed, and we have life eternal with Him.
In Christ the lies of the devil are reduced to pitiful whimpers.
In Christ the rage of the devil is mocked, for his doom is certain.
In Christ all the powers may rage and scream, but He holds the keys, He is Lord.

Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again. That is the victory of our God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would like to add some of my perspective on this subject of demonic voices.

Even some of modern mental health has identified the source of this negative self-talk as "gremlins".
This, of course, begs the question about why these "gremlins" have a mind of their own and an agenda to bring us down.

As I have mentioned often on the forum, the unanswered question in Genesis chapter three is most revealing.
God asked Adam... "Who told you that you were naked? ..." - Genesis 3:11 NIV
Who indeed? At the end of chapter two... --- Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame. - Genesis 2:25 NIV

So, what happened at the Fall? It appears that the knowledge of Good and Evil opened the door in our minds to the enemy's voice.
Suddenly being naked became an object of shame. Why?

My best advice is to judge the content of what we are hearing in our self-talk to determine who is speaking.
Which of these two categories does what we are hearing fit?
1) The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. - John 10:10
2) ... the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. - 1 Corinthians 14:3

Basically, is the message edifying (building you up), or is it negative (tearing you down) ?

Much more to say about this.

Pipp@ said:

Oh and the demonic voices stopped I have had a few battles but nothing like it was...

I think it's impossible to tell whether the voices are coming from an external source (unless they can be recorded) or from your subconscious mind. Anything that comes from our subconscious feels to our conscious mind as external to it. If we're under a strong impulse or feel compelled to do something, it really does feel as if we are being driven by an external power. The reason I suggested the OP might benefit from thinking of their experience of hearing voices in terms of mental health instead of demons is because of their obvious distress about them and I don't think a spiritual explanation is going to help. That's just my opinion of course.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't have any problems all we need is faith in God. There is nothing that has a right to control us. I've never heard a voice unless I forgot out side myself if that makes sense. Inside sure.. why we are told to test the spirits. I know we tend to think being in this fallen world that it can be hard to hear from God. Did you know every time in that bible "God said" something you don't have to pray for that? Take Christ saying my sheep "know/hear" my voice they don't listen to the voice of a stranger. "When he has brought all his own sheep outside, he walks on ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice and recognize his call."

So anytime I have to question.. its not Him or I put it on a shelve. I am His sheep and I know His voice. He always makes sure we know.. well He also will confirm it if its of Him. He will never leave you to guess and confused.

Norm. I young preacher said many years ago he always said how he was weird and they were normal because he believed in Christ and what not. He said one day the lord stopped him and said "your normal they are weird". haha So praise God we are not the NORM!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, this is intended as a follow-up to my previous post in this thread:

We read in Ephesians chapter 6 where St. Paul calls upon us to be fully equipped with the full armor of God, in which we read that our faith is a very shield against the flaming arrows of the devil. So whenever I have found myself assaulted by doubts, assaulted by whatever flaming arrows are shot my way, I abide in faith and recite the Apostles' Creed,

"I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; He descended into hell*. On the third day He rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father Almighty. from whence He will come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic (Christian) Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
"

As mentioned, I haven't suffered from voices, but I do struggle with intrusive thoughts, part of my anxiety disorder. And so regularly have made the Jesus Prayer (a form of the prayer said by the penitent tax collector in Jesus' parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector) another place of refuge, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." Or simply, "Lord, have mercy on me."

And recalling in the same place where St. Paul speaks of the armor, the sword of the Spirit, the word of God; I abide in God's word. I go to the Scriptures, I put my faith and confess the promises of God in Jesus, the precious Gospel of my forgiveness and God's victory. I take refuge in Christ, I cry out to Jesus. I confess my faith, I preach the Gospel to myself, That God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that God demonstrates His love in that while still a sinner, Christ died for me, that this is a trustworthy saying, that Christ came to save sinners and I am the chief of sinners. That nothing can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ--neither life nor death, neither height nor depth, neither things above nor things below. For Christ is the Good Shepherd who goes to bring back the single lost lamb. Christ is the Good Samaritan who found me broken and bleeding on the side of the road, has picked me up, taken me to the inn, paid everything and bandaged me and given me rest. His word is "Come to Me, you who are weary and burdened down with labors, I will give you rest." I remember the witness of all the saints, the "great cloud of witnesses" mentioned in Hebrews, all the saints who have gone before us whose lives bear testimony to God's grace, love, and saving power in Jesus. As the saints on earth and the saints in heaven, the entire Church of God, stands with me, in proclaiming and believing and confessing Jesus. And so I can, by the grace of God, set my eyes upon Christ, the Author and Finisher of our faith.

Against these things, no power on earth, not even the gates of hell, can stand. For Jesus Christ is Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

*"He descended into hell", in the original language it is literally "descended into the depths" or "descended into the place of the dead". This is not "hell" as in the abode of the wicked dead in judgment, but rather firmly asserts Christ was fully, truly, really dead and that, therefore, He truly, really rose from the dead. It also refers to the Christian doctrine of the "harrowing of hell", or Christ's defeat of hades/hell/the place of the dead. Christ has destroyed the power of death by dying and rising.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's impossible to tell whether the voices are coming from an external source (unless they can be recorded) or from your subconscious mind. Anything that comes from our subconscious feels to our conscious mind as external to it. If we're under a strong impulse or feel compelled to do something, it really does feel as if we are being driven by an external power. The reason I suggested the OP might benefit from thinking of their experience of hearing voices in terms of mental health instead of demons is because of their obvious distress about them and I don't think a spiritual explanation is going to help. That's just my opinion of course.
C.S. Lewis wrote an interesting little book titled The Screwtape Letters. Which you have probably heard of and possibly read.

Discerning the source of self-talk is difficult. What you believe about it has a great effect on what you make of it.

When an inner voice speaks in the first person, it is easy to mistake it for your own thoughts. But if it doesn't square with the Bible, one needs to ask, "Who said that?" In the same way that God asked Adam, "Who told you that you were naked?"

What Adam heard, "I'm naked, I need to cover up."

2 Corinthians 10:5 NIV
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*"He descended into hell"
I burnt for 3 Days once the LORDS Holy Spirit came into me. the LORD Suffered beyond physical death for the wages of our sins. I know this to be true.

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You made me recall some specific things with your post.. firstly, when the voices were audible to my ears before I was saved I thought them human, afterwards, when I knew they were demonic they were still audible and the most intense was after I rejected them, turned back to God, they were so overwhelming mentally and tried to get me to doubt my salvation and to kill myself. I have had suicidal thoughts in the past but never like that and my Grandmother used to say suicide was wrong in Gods eyes so I could never go through with it. And something on the inside was like just hold on. God maybe? I don’t know. So at its most intense I checked myself into hospital. God has healed me of things the past year but I've had several attacks where I feel like I'm re-experiencing humans saying things and getting paranoid but I look up Ephesians 6:12 and my mental clarity returns.

God has tested me a lot during this year as well and long story short, during one of these episodes I was in a takeout shop, a woman shop assistant who I've previously thought was a joyous jubilant sort of person (always cracking jokes and making everyone laugh), would not look at me while I was ordering, just had a scowl on her face and I'm confused asking God internally what's wrong with her, I'm smiling and being polite and immediately as she passed my food my eyes went down to her right hand and my eyes kind of 'zoomed in' to the ring she was wearing, it was a witchcraft symbol and I was just astounded.. I've had a few experiences like that recently.

I was getting better at discerning thoughts since my battle is mainly in my mind and belief system, I was thinking of what to gift to get a lady from church and a voice came and said 'she would love some foxglove', and I immediately remember my sister had it growing in her backyard rental home and that it is poisonous... pretty vile creatures we deal with here hey! I go backwards and forwards in my progress unfortunately but I am glad for people like you who remind me of what I must focus on
I can sure relate to what you speak about - especially the suicidal tendencies, although all glory to God, as I've grown in Christ I feel these thoughts have dissipated. I'm not sure where on the sliding scale of such experiences one becomes what would be diagnosed as 'crazy'. Unfortunately, psychiatrists, who generally don't believe in the supernatural - and certainly don't take it into account in their practice - would probably diagnose you and I with some sort of label.

I think people like us are sensitive to such activity, like our 'receptors' are more attuned, for one reason or another. You mentioned 'opening a door' earlier, and I think that is a possibility, but as we are new creations in Christ, and we are transformed by the renewing of our minds, then He has the power to close them for us, if we remain in Him. I feel led to link to this article with a number of verses relating to God's transformational power. As we conform to His image, I believe these experiences that we have may diminish as we are more fully filled with, and walking in His Spirit.
But as I say, I treat it as a blessing today, in that through God's power I can see how He has authority over all. His Word is a refuge and also a weapon.

Your experience with the witch made my hair stand on end, and I praise God as I believe this shows you have been blessed with discernment. She obviously sensed the Holy Spirit with you, given her reaction. This was the Lord showing you something, and I believe that it's possibly similar with the other experiences you may have.

So maybe you, with God's help, will transform your experiences into something that will help bring you and others closer to Jesus. I pray you will continue to grow with strength in Christ.

God Bless Pipp@, and thanks also for your kind words.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Yeah, I feel the same way too!
1 Peter 5:9
Resist (the devil) stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status