Spiritual experiences before and after being 'saved'.

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there, I'm new here.

Not at all sure if this is the right place to post this topic, but I'm interested in hearing from other Christians (believers/followers of Jesus) who have had unusual spiritual experiences that are not explained by religion?

I have been grappling with it for a while, and a lot to cover, but I'll try to keep the timeline as short as possible for now.

I came from a broken family, between 18months and 4 years old I was given to my Grandmother to raise me who was herself a 'Christian', but was steeped more in traditional religious beliefs (she grew up catholic and 'converted' to Christianity in her early 20s). Anyway, I have snippets of memory going to church with her. The preacher always wore a black suit, white shirt and red bow tie. I remember asking if he was God. Being young, I mostly slept through the services. I returned to my family home (Father, step mother and siblings) very much on the outside looking in growing up, never seemed to fit in anywhere at home or at school. At 10 I returned to live with my Grandmother. Although I was happy there, the religious beliefs I still never understood, although in my heart I believed in God, so the teachings must have made an impact in the early years. My Nan believed Jesus was the son of God who died in the Cross for our sin, but the majority of any discussion was around God the father, which led me to see God as the dictator in the sky, like many do. I never really prayed, my Nan use to go into her room and kneel beside the bed and put her hands toge

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apologies, the thread posted itself and I can't delete it.

Trying to keep it short while giving background is difficult! My original point was to say I basically grew up in religion which set the tone for the rest of my experience in life and affected my view of God.

I've had trauma in the past as well which stopped me picking up a bible and reading it for myself. I wish I could start this thread over because I don't know how to open the question for others here.

Basically, always believed in God the creator. Ended up with my own ideology due to religion turning me off. Never was taught the truth about Jesus, but I do know the truth now.

I've had very few supernatural experiences in my life. One negative but it was something attached to my friends family. I've always been a 'If I can't see it, it's not there' kind of person, even if I sensed things sometimes. I always chose to ignore.

I went through difficult times in my mid-20s and was very isolated after losing a very close friend of mine. At the time, I had a Christian friend who would write me letters and always include scripture that was directly specific to my situation at the time. I instinctively knew it was God, but I blamed him for taking my friend and not answering my prayer to heal her. There's so much back story though to explain but fast forward and over the next 10 years I pursued 'worldly' things. I was very depressed, very angry person. I ended up moving around a lot and becoming obsessed with finding a 'home' and safety. I heard God speak to me a few times, but didn't really understand until recently looking back.

Then in 2017 in an attempt to 'heal' myself (years of therapy and medication never worked). I started trying to 'remember' what happened to me in childhood. There were stories of sexual abuse before my birth mother exited the picture. And I always had emotional detachment/abandonment issues. Over the 10 year period stated earlier, I started to block my memories. I had some idea within that I wasn't 'that person' anymore and didn't want to be. I just put up this massive wall to others and to myself. When I started trying to go back over my life in this time, I ended up (after lots of pain) experiencing a sort of 'awakening' that lasted a whole day (fully awake and walking around) and without going into detail too much it was revealed that Jesus is King, he is alive and here in the now, not just the God-man that came to earth 2000 years ago. I tried to see if anyone else had similar experiences but all I could find were new age stuff on kundilini etc. My experience had similar things to this, but it's almost like new age today is the counterfeit for the real thing. We are not God or even little Gods, our very breath is from him (our creator).

After this experience I tried to share but no one seemed to understand and so I thought maybe I was crazy. I then entered the darkest time of my life and started hearing voices (at the time I thought they were people but they were demonic.) I have ret

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have recently returned to God in the last year but a lot has happened since then. I have heard God speak but I keep shutting down in fear because my whole life I just wanted to be 'normal'. I guess by the world's standards. He has told me I'm not an outcast but I've yet to find any proof of that.

Oh and the demonic voices stopped I have had a few battles but nothing like it was...

Anyone else have experiences not of the Christian 'norm'?

Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Interesting story. I'm struggling though to see what experiences you describe are not of "the Christian 'norm'".

I have heard God speak but I keep shutting down in fear because my whole life I just wanted to be 'normal'. I guess by the world's standards. He has told me I'm not an outcast but I've yet to find any proof of that.

That seems like a pretty normal experience for Christians, including the fear aspect. Often the first thing Jesus said when he appeared to His disciples was "Do not be afraid." When He walked on water for example.

Oh and the demonic voices stopped I have had a few battles but nothing like it was...

This is the only thing I would say was not the 'Christian norm'. Apart from a few fringe elements, Christians in the "West", which of course includes a lot of Eastern countries as it's a cultural, not a geographic term, view hearing voices as a mental health issue, not a demonic experience. I wonder if you would benefit from a more modern understanding of mental health.

• Friendly
Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm..

Well I guess I see how you struggle when you say my experience is a mental health issue. Unfortunately, this time we live in, people are under heavy delusion, including the Christian community.

I wasn't expressing every detail of past and current experiences with God here, because it seems now I've had some time on the site, most are discussing bible theology or talking worldly or everyday things, rather than their experiences with God after coming to Christ.

Have you ever had dreams or visions? Has Gid ever spoken to you in the spirit? Have you been shown how to discern?

I'm not exactly a new Christian, as I've stated in my O.P. have a background, always believed, but couldn't understand the bible or religion so it led me to create my own idea of God. A year ago he corrected me. This is where the demons come into my story and it's what led me to run to Jesus in repentance. I tried to join 2 churches in the last year. 1 was big on the holy spirit and worship etc, but their social groups did not seem to be anything but wordly in their conversation and manner. The 2nd was more about focusing on Jesus but by reading the bible and doing their best to follow the teachings. I joined a women's bible study there where they focused more on relatibility of bible characters to themselves so it wasn't a real study where a newbie can understand for themselves. Also, when I told them I had a dream from God, they were shocked as though they've never heard of that happening.

I can't seem to find anyone locally who has experienced anything similar, except maybe for the youtube channel delafe testimonies, which is based in U.S. ..

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the only thing I would say was not the 'Christian norm'. Apart from a few fringe elements, Christians in the "West", which of course includes a lot of Eastern countries as it's a cultural, not a geographic term, view hearing voices as a mental health issue, not a demonic experience. I wonder if you would benefit from a more modern understanding of mental health.
I would like to add some of my perspective on this subject of demonic voices.

Even some of modern mental health has identified the source of this negative self-talk as "gremlins".
This, of course, begs the question about why these "gremlins" have a mind of their own and an agenda to bring us down.

As I have mentioned often on the forum, the unanswered question in Genesis chapter three is most revealing.
God asked Adam... "Who told you that you were naked? ..." - Genesis 3:11 NIV
Who indeed? At the end of chapter two... --- Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame. - Genesis 2:25 NIV

So, what happened at the Fall? It appears that the knowledge of Good and Evil opened the door in our minds to the enemy's voice.
Suddenly being naked became an object of shame. Why?

My best advice is to judge the content of what we are hearing in our self-talk to determine who is speaking.
Which of these two categories does what we are hearing fit?
1) The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. - John 10:10
2) ... the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. - 1 Corinthians 14:3

Basically, is the message edifying (building you up), or is it negative (tearing you down) ?

Much more to say about this.

Pipp@ said:

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever had dreams or visions? Has Gid ever spoken to you in the spirit? Have you been shown how to discern?
I have had some experiences. Visions, divine encounters, healing... manifestations of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh and the demonic voices stopped I have had a few battles but nothing like it was.
well personally, i've never heard 'voices' until turning my life over to christ and walking away from him and living a sinful life for over 6yrs. (up until that point, i heard no 'voices') after the LORD called me back to repent as you've described, i started hearing them.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have recently returned to God in the last year but a lot has happened since then. I have heard God speak but I keep shutting down in fear because my whole life I just wanted to be 'normal'. I guess by the world's standards. He has told me I'm not an outcast but I've yet to find any proof of that.

Anyone else have experiences not of the Christian 'norm'?
Welcome to CF. When I was involved in Transendental Meditation I had quite a few supernatural spiritual attacks.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My experience with hearing God's voice began at a very young age.

At eight years of age I was attending a Summer Bible camp in Wisconsin. In a morning chapel service the man speaking did as they always did, he gave an invitation to receive Christ. He asked that all heads be bowed and all eyes closed. But I found myself peeking to see if any of these "lost sinners" would raise a hand.

At that moment God spoke to me. Though it was a supernatural event, it seemed as natural to me as anything. I knew who it was and wasn't frightened, or disturbed by it. What I heard was mind-blowing. It came like a tap on my shoulder. The message clear and direct. "If you think it is so important, why haven't you done it?" I was speechless. I answered with my feet. I knew the drill. I rose to my feet and pushed my way to the aisle to go forward before we were even asked to do so.

When I was a young adult I made a connection about this event that had not been apparent to me at the time. The man who led me to Christ was the son of the man that led my father to the Lord. A Christian Alliance missionary that went from farm to farm inviting people to Sunday School and sharing the gospel in the area where my father grew up. Basically in the middle of nowhere.

Such a wonderful mystery, the workings of our great God.

cc: @Pipp@

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to add some of my perspective on this subject of demonic voices.

Even some of modern mental health has identified the source of this negative self-talk as "gremlins".
This, of course, begs the question about why these "gremlins" have a mind of their own and an agenda to bring us down.

As I have mentioned often on the forum, the unanswered question in Genesis chapter three is most revealing.
God asked Adam... "Who told you that you were naked? ..." - Genesis 3:11 NIV
Who indeed? At the end of chapter two... --- Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame. - Genesis 2:25 NIV

So, what happened at the Fall? It appears that the knowledge of Good and Evil opened the door in our minds to the enemy's voice.
Suddenly being naked became an object of shame. Why?

My best advice is to judge the content of what we are hearing in our self-talk to determine who is speaking.
Which of these two categories does what we are hearing fit?
1) The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. - John 10:10
2) ... the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. - 1 Corinthians 14:3

Basically, is the message edifying (building you up), or is it negative (tearing you down) ?

Much more to say about this.

Pipp@ said:

Yes, I don't disagree the door is opened when we start believing the negative 'self-talk'. I've struggled with self-esteem and being bullied growing up. I also had beliefs instilled in me by emotionally and physically abusive caregiver/s, that's a story in and of itself. I believed for a long time there was something wrong with me, years of therapy and meditations did nothing. After I denied my 'awakening' experience, the voices (which I thought were people around me at the time) gradually got worse over the next 3 years. In 2018 God spoke (which I didn't know then but know now) and said don't live the life of Cain. I was confused why I had the thought, new vaguely Cain is in the bible so I looked up the story. I was really offended thinking I'm not a murderer.. but I had a lot of bitterness in my heart for a long time. A few things happened after that, but I'm not sure I should say just yet, except that, I had another opportunity to listen to God before moving where I am now and I was in such a bad state I didn't believe so I did my own thing again. Then God said he was going to correct my false beliefs and that's when I had the demonic attack. It's been hard this past year but I wrote Ephesians 6:12 on my chalkboard and whenever the enemy tries to make me believe the lies again, I focus on it. It has cleared my mind every time. Without Jesus I would have committed suicide though, that's how seriously people need to take this stuff because it's no joke

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well personally, i've never heard 'voices' until turning my life over to christ and walking away from him and living a sinful life for over 6yrs. (up until that point, i heard no 'voices') after the LORD called me back to repent as you've described, i started hearing them.
That's interesting you say that.. between my 'awakening' experience and repentance for me it was 5 years. I still can't say for sure if it was from God though because some things could be verified by the bible, but some things not. But if it was from the enemy, why would Jesus as King be mentioned at all? I was unaware of Jesus in this way at that time. And I wonder lately if my denial bought on my suffering 10 fold

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's interesting you say that.. between my 'awakening' experience and repentance for me it was 5 years. I still can't say for sure if it was from God though because some things could be verified by the bible, but some things not. But if it was from the enemy, why would Jesus as King be mentioned at all? I was unaware of Jesus in this way at that time. And I wonder lately if my denial bought on my suffering 10 fold
No I heard the LORD the same night i prayed and asked him into my heart and he blessed with with his wonderful Holy Spirit, but it wasn't a 'voice' it was a 'knowing' i knew (Hallelujah!) That "it's done", the following day the same, and again it was a knowing, each time. indeed i was 'still'

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

At eight years of age I was attending a Summer Bible camp in Wisconsin. In a morning chapel service the man speaking did as they always did, he gave an invitation to receive Christ. He asked that all heads be bowed and all eyes closed. But I found myself peeking to see if any of these "lost sinners" would raise a hand.

At that moment God spoke to me. Though it was a supernatural event, it seemed as natural to me as anything. I knew who it was and wasn't frightened, or disturbed by it. What I heard was mind-blowing. It came like a tap on my shoulder. The message clear and direct. "If you think it is so important, why haven't you done it?" I was speechless. I answered with my feet. I knew the drill. I rose to my feet and pushed my way to the aisle to go forward before we were even asked to do so.

When I was a young adult I made a connection about this event that had not been apparent to me at the time. The man who led me to Christ was the son of the man that led my father to the Lord. A Christian Alliance missionary that went from farm to farm inviting people to Sunday School and sharing the gospel in the area where my father grew up. Basically in the middle of nowhere.

Ha ha I love that, thanks for sharing!

I always believed but never heard until later in life. Before repentance I had a visitation of sorts, I was trying to sleep and within all of a sudden I felt this overwhelming love and peace I thought 'what is this? This isn't me and immediately after in my thoughts I'm like 'oh, it's Jesus'.. not like I didn't care but like I already knew him, although I never believed in Jesus as anything except part of a bible story before... I was seriously spiritually dead at this point, hence my subsequent unbelief and rebellion after the fact. I feel like such a fool now though

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Oh, and don't you love how he always speaks in such a matter of fact way? There's no nonsense, it's just simple truth you can't deny..but even being convicted by him he's never been cruel... the dictator in the sky version of God is still hard to correct for me though, it's been a long process

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have however heard both "bad" and "good" 'voices' that are audible? but as those differ from my previously stated experience i will not trust them.
Yeah Gods voice for Me is nothing like the demonic ones. Not audible in the ears either, it's internal. I was prayed over too and shortly after my stepmum was on the phone praying for my nephew I felt as though he was behind me/above me and he told me he wanted me to pray. I just felt like a kid in the spotlight it was excruciating for me. Always feeling inadequate I guess

• Informative
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah Gods voice for Me is nothing like the demonic ones. Not audible in the ears either, it's internal. I was prayed over too and shortly after my stepmum was on the phone praying for my nephew I felt as though he was behind me/above me and he told me he wanted me to pray. I just felt like a kid in the spotlight it was excruciating for me. Always feeling inadequate I guess
"Pressure
Pushing down on me
Pushing down on you, no man ask for
Under pressure"
I Heard someone describe that using the song 'under pressure'

You shouldn't look at it that way, He's your father. You're not inadequate,
He created you on purpose and has given you a purpose.

Upvote 0