Spirit-filled homosexual relationship, is that possible?

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do you believe repentence is evidence of salvation?

I believe in repentance to God for the wrongs we have done on a daily basis. Although I would never question another's salvation if they don't believe in repenting.

Reactions: Texas Lynn
Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in repentance to God for the wrongs we have done on a daily basis.

The repentance I speak of is a one-time event where a person basically says "God I'm wrong, and you're right and I'm willing to do things your way." As a result of that decision their life is changed. It doesn't mean they are perfect, and they still make mistakes, but it makes a huge difference in their life.

For me, as well as many other Christians I know, repentance marked the beginning of a new life in Christ. That is when I can say my life was completley changed. I became a new person.

Did this happen for you?

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The repentance I speak of is a one-time event where a person basically says "God I'm wrong, and you're right and I'm willing to do things your way." As a result of that decision their life is changed. It doesn't mean they are perfect, and they still make mistakes, but it makes a huge difference in their life.

While I believe repentance to be an ongoing thing, and I don't nessecerily think one magic "Im sorry" changes a person overnight. I said sorry for my sins and have since made an effort to change aspects of my life I believe hurt God though. Yes.

For me, as well as many other Christians I know, repentance marked the beginning of a new life in Christ. That is when I can say my life was completley changed. I became a new person.

Did this happen for you?

I changed, but for me its been a gradual process of communication with God, prayer and contemplation.

Upvote 0

jbm611973

Sep 3, 2008
Missouri
✟7,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First of all: Let me say that the headline of the topic does not mean that I say "This is not possible" because I use a "?", but I really got curious about this questions, because I've seen a lot of debates about what is and is not in the bible. And as Christians it is not a book we are following, but the living God, by the Spirit that he give to them that follow Him.

I know that the Holy Spirit were given to the unclean, and that the first Christian Jews were shocked about this, so I am curious: Is someone living in a homosexual relationship and feel free to live like that by the Spirit of God?

That would really clear up the whole debate I guess. If any homosexuals that are living in a relationship with the same sex, then who are anyone to blame them, if they say they have the Spirit and are following the Spirit.

If this topic get ignored, then I guess that is a answer too.

I believe the Lord will put a burden in his heart that what he is doing is a sin before asking for repentence...Then once the person is released from his sin the Lord will be able to work through him. He will start of work of perfection that never stops.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks MB but ive already accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. But I appreciate the rather offensive implication that I hadn't. I believe I will go to heaven as I accepted Jesus in my heart at that point in time. Yay for Jesus!

Halo Hope, you are not answerable to third parties-you are the best judge of the nature of your relationship to Diety and harrassment of you does not honor Christ. Christ does not demand political correctness like some claim.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My wife was raised Methodist as well, but salvation wasn't clearly explained to her. She thought it was based on works because of her church's teachings.

As a cradle Methodist I can state unequivocally that so-called "works theology" is not and has never been a part of Methodist doctrine.

As a converse, one may be well-advised to consider James' point that "faith without works is dead".

One does not, however, bear a good witness for Christ through harrassment or demands for political correctness.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I believe repentance to be an ongoing thing, and I don't nessecerily think one magic "Im sorry" changes a person overnight. I said sorry for my sins and have since made an effort to change aspects of my life I believe hurt God though. Yes.

I changed, but for me its been a gradual process of communication with God, prayer and contemplation.

ok Halo, I'm not the judge of your salvation. The Bible makes it pretty clear what is required in order to receive the Holy-Spirit, which is the subject of the OP.

Here's what Peter said in Acts 2:38:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Clearly, as Peter explained, the gift comes through repentance, which is affirmed through baptism as an act of obedience.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a cradle Methodist I can state unequivocally that so-called "works theology" is not and has never been a part of Methodist doctrine.

My wife attended the Methodist church all her life, and she thought her salvation was based on works. Your experience has nothing to do with hers.

One does not, however, bear a good witness for Christ through harrassment or demands for political correctness.

So take your own advice: please don't come in here harassing and demanding political correctness.

The conversation has been rather cordial thus far.... until now.. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The United Methodist Church does not support "works doctrine" and any assertion it does is false. That someone got an impression otherwise is merely anecdotal evidence of one instance of poor communication transactions.

God is not well-served by harrassment of others regarding their salvation or the lack of it. It is between each individual and God; no third parties have any standing in the matter and the ensuing finger-wagging in which they engage is most unfortunate.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The United Methodist Church does not support "works doctrine" and any assertion it does is false. That someone got an impression otherwise is merely anecdotal evidence of one instance of poor communication transactions.

Though the mainstream position is salvation through grace, and the leadership is aware of it, not every Methodist church holds to it. The same can be said for the other denominations as well (just common sense). This is a leadership issue, not a communication issue.

Just as a footnote: You say you are a "core" Methodist, but you don't agree with the Methodist church's official position against gay marriage and gay ordination. It's well documented, and it's been shown to you before. I don't see you hammering on that Methodist position.

God is not well-served by harrassment of others regarding their salvation or the lack of it. It is between each individual and God; no third parties have any standing in the matter and the ensuing finger-wagging in which they engage is most unfortunate.

ummm yeah... how about taking your own advice.......

Well, I'm trying to be mindful of my own communication to others. I see salvation in Jesus Christ makes you pretty angry. Nobody can discuss it (according to you). OK then.... I will not be talking to you anymore. :wave:

I will talk with Halohope though -- if she wants to. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dogbean

Matt 7:24-27 - Standing on the Rock
Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised a Methodist so I knew what Christianity was all about.

My wife was raised Methodist as well, but salvation wasn't clearly explained to her. She thought it was based on works because of her church's teachings. The link explains salvation quite well. It's worth a check-up. :)

I went to a methodist church for several years. Salvation was not preached there, and I even think my pastor was a closet universalist. Not all methodist churches preach and teach from the Bible.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went to a methodist church for several years. Salvation was not preached there, and I even think my pastor was a closet universalist. Not all methodist churches preach and teach from the Bible.

Yes, we have some Methodist friends that told us the same thing about their church. It's fairly common now. The liberal preaching started when the Wesleyan Methodists split off (back in the 50s). The Wesleyans stayed closer to the doctrine preached by John Wesley.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Though the mainstream position is salvation through grace, and the leadership is aware of it, not every Methodist church holds to it. The same can be said for the other denominations as well (just common sense). This is a leadership issue, not a communication issue.

No disagreement.

Just as a footnote: You say you are a "core" Methodist, but you don't agree with the Methodist church's official position against gay marriage and gay ordination. It's well documented, and it's been shown to you before. I don't see you hammering on that Methodist position.

Actually I said I was a "cradle Methodist". If it comes up [the UMC's position's on the issues you've mentioned, though the nuances are missing from your categorical statement] I mention it, including at Annual Conference. I have mentioned in threads on "Wesley's Parish" and will continue to when I go there.

ummm yeah... how about taking your own advice.......

I don't question anyone's salvation even yours.

Well, I'm trying to be mindful of my own communication to others. I see salvation in Jesus Christ makes you pretty angry. Nobody can discuss it (according to you). OK then.... I will not be talking to you anymore. :wave:

I will talk with Halohope though -- if she wants to. :)

Make yourself happy. Everyone should know though that no one, myself, Mercyburst, other CFers, etc.-has any authority over another human being on these matters. The best thing we can all do is look in the mirror before we look out the window.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The liberal preaching started when the Wesleyan Methodists split off (back in the 50s). The Wesleyans stayed closer to the doctrine preached by John Wesley.:thumbsup:

Liberalism within Methodist churches in other views begins with the Wesleys. It did not magically spring forth in 1953. It had already been around seventeen decades previously.

The UMC is by and large a liberal Mainline body, that is true, and there are more conservative church bodies which originally were spinoffs of Methodism, some with Weslayan in their titles, but generically UMCers are Wesleyans in the same sense that would be said with a "small w" were Wesley not a formal name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

brightmorningstar

Is membership of a church makes someone a Christian. If it doesnt, being a mamber of a church isnt a reason something might be a Christian view. If therefore there were enough non believers in a church leadership, that church may state non-Christian beliefs.
This is what I believe is happening in the Anglican Communion (and Methodism). 200 or so bishops sort of representing about 2m Americans (with individuals and dicoceses leaving all the time) turn up to Lambeth, whereas 200 or so Bishops representing about 23m (and growing) Africans dont.
Disproportionate representation of disproportionate representation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is membership of a church makes someone a Christian. If it doesnt, being a mamber of a church isnt a reason something might be a Christian view. If therefore there were enough non believers in a church leadership, that church may state non-Christian beliefs.
This is what I believe is happening in the Anglican Communion (and Methodism). 200 or so bishops sort of representing about 2m Americans (with individuals and dicoceses leaving all the time) turn up to Lambeth, whereas 200 or so Bishops representing about 23m (and growing) Africans dont.
Disproportionate representation of disproportionate representation.

BMS, in view of the fact that we've found a bit to agree upon recently, and without trying to "play Mod.", may I respectfully request that if you wish to debate issues dividing Anglicans, you either take it to STR or to Denomination-Specific Debates? There are some things I'd challenge in what you say above that this is NOT the forum to air dirty laundry about. The one thing I will note is that many African bishops did not attend Lambeth 2008 because their Primates directed them not to. AFAIK all bishops in member churches of the Anglican Communion were invited save two -- the ECUSA Bishop of New Hampshire, for obvious reasons, and the Church of Nigeria's bishop serving CANA, for equally obvious reasons. Those who chose, or were directed by their own Primate, not to attend, did so of their own volition. Anything further, I'd be grateful if we could deal with as Anglicans. :)

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Anyone that has indeed been saved is glad to share it <staff edit>.

Upvote 0