Spirit-filled homosexual relationship, is that possible?

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
First of all: Let me say that the headline of the topic does not mean that I say "This is not possible" because I use a "?", but I really got curious about this questions, because I've seen a lot of debates about what is and is not in the bible. And as Christians it is not a book we are following, but the living God, by the Spirit that he give to them that follow Him.

I know that the Holy Spirit were given to the unclean, and that the first Christian Jews were shocked about this, so I am curious: Is someone living in a homosexual relationship and feel free to live like that by the Spirit of God?

That would really clear up the whole debate I guess. If any homosexuals that are living in a relationship with the same sex, then who are anyone to blame them, if they say they have the Spirit and are following the Spirit.

If this topic get ignored, then I guess that is a answer too.

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IMO, such as it is, the Holy Spirit descends upon sinners (all of us) and works in us to sanctify us, to make us more nearly what God wants us to be, with our cooperation. He is quite capable of motivating a gay man or Lesbian to follow God through Christ, and if it is His will that they turn from gay relationships, He is quite capable of making that clear, guiding, and strengthening to make it possible. And it's quite possible that such is NOT His will for at least some gay people.

Key point: "With God, all things are possible." But that they are possible does not necessarily mean He will do them. There's a lesson there for everyone, I think.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

To Polycarp1,
IMO, such as it is, the Holy Spirit descends upon sinners (all of us) and works in us to sanctify us, to make us more nearly what God wants us to be, with our cooperation. He is quite capable of motivating a gay man or Lesbian to follow God through Christ, and if it is His will that they turn from gay relationships, He is quite capable of making that clear, guiding, and strengthening to make it possible. And it's quite possible that such is NOT His will for at least some gay people.

Key point: "With God, all things are possible." But that they are possible does not necessarily mean He will do them. There's a lesson there for everyone, I think.

This is like someone saying, if God wants them to give up adultery they will. In fact the Holy Spirit will remind them of what Jesus has taught, that adultery is wrong.
It’s the same for anyone and any sin, and it’s the same for someone who has same sex activities, the Holy Spirit will remind them that Jesus taught man and woman in faithful marriage, or celibacy (Matthew 19, Ephesians 5, 1 Corinthians 7) and that same sex unions are wrong. (1 Corinthians 6, 1 Tim 1, Romans 1)
So not only can we see that the Holy Spirit isn’t reminding you.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To Polycarp1,

This is like someone saying, if God wants them to give up adultery they will. In fact the Holy Spirit will remind them of what Jesus has taught, that adultery is wrong.
It’s the same for anyone and any sin, and it’s the same for someone who has same sex activities, the Holy Spirit will remind them that Jesus taught man and woman in faithful marriage, or celibacy (Matthew 19, Ephesians 5, 1 Corinthians 7) and that same sex unions are wrong. (1 Corinthians 6, 1 Tim 1, Romans 1)
So not only can we see that the Holy Spirit isn’t reminding you.

You know, I find it difficult to accept that:

• People automatically default to "supporting gay rights implies you yourself are gay." (My wife also wonders about this one.)
  • People equate rape with consensual sex (in other threads) or covenanted monogamous relationships (even if you don't accept them as valid) with acts of adultery.
  • People conclude from condemnation of acts of lustful casual sex that same-sex unions are being condemned. God condemned fornication; does that automatically mean He condemns your marriage? After all, you're committing the same sex acts as the fornicators.
  • Marriage is reduced to sex, (and often sex to initializing pregnancies). All I can do when I see this sort of thing is thank God for my wife and the love and companionship she has borne me in every aspect of our lives for a third of a century. (That, and feel pity for the spouses of the obsessed-by-sex types.)
  • People take such a supercilious view of the (sexual) sins of others, without a thought to the sins they are committing. sometimes in the same posts.

Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's better to not judge others.

Of course people should not judge each other, but that is not what this topic is about.
---

So no spirit-filled Christians here that live in a homosexual relationship/marriage? I'm really curious about this, and the answers will probably make me see more clearly on the whole homosexuality vs Christianity debate.

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
First of all: Let me say that the headline of the topic does not mean that I say "This is not possible" because I use a "?", but I really got curious about this questions, because I've seen a lot of debates about what is and is not in the bible. And as Christians it is not a book we are following, but the living God, by the Spirit that he give to them that follow Him.

I know that the Holy Spirit were given to the unclean, and that the first Christian Jews were shocked about this, so I am curious: Is someone living in a homosexual relationship and feel free to live like that by the Spirit of God?

That would really clear up the whole debate I guess. If any homosexuals that are living in a relationship with the same sex, then who are anyone to blame them, if they say they have the Spirit and are following the Spirit.

Im not entirely sure what your asking here, but my partner and I are in a commited long term relationship and are Christian. We believe in the Trinity and pray etc... regularly. Its important to us. We believe our relationship is fine with God and he brought us together.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

To Polycarp1,
You know, I find it difficult to accept that:
Why?

People automatically default to "supporting gay rights implies you yourself are gay." (My wife also wonders about this one.)…
then focus just on what Jesus said rather than what people say.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course people should not judge each other, but that is not what this topic is about.

I'm going to have to disagree about that. When anyone can claim str8s can have 'spirit-filled' relationships but LGBTs cannot, they are judging.

So no spirit-filled Christians here that live in a homosexual relationship/marriage? I'm really curious about this, and the answers will probably make me see more clearly on the whole homosexuality vs Christianity debate.

There is no "homosexuality versus Christianity" debate whatsoever. There is a certain minority of Christians (and Muslims, and Jews, and Hindus, and atheists...) committed to promoting antigay prejudice, but in doing so they are in no way acting "as Christians".

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
then focus just on what Jesus said rather than what people say.

Jesus either said nothing whatsoever about homosexuality in his ministry or what he said was so insignificant it was never documented both of which strongly shows the obsession many right-wing Christians have about the particular issue is considerably bizarre.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

brightmorningstar

To Texas Lynn,
Jesus either said nothing whatsoever about homosexuality in his ministry or what he said was so insignificant it was never documented both of which strongly shows the obsession many right-wing Christians have about the particular issue is considerably bizarre.
There is no such thing as right wing Christians, true Christians are those seeking to follow Jesus Christ and His teachings as disciples. What we know as authorative of Jesus Christ and His teaching comes from the NT writers and not just the gospels. So we can see Jesus taught that God’s creation purpose was man and woman in faithful union, or celibacy, (Matthew 19, 1 Corinthians 7 etc) which says all we need to know about homosexual unions, they aren’t part of what Christians follow. We can also see same sex unions are condemned (1 Corinthians 6, 1 Timothy 1, Romans 1 etc)

What we can also see is the likes of your own opinions which are Biblically baseless and against what the Bible says. So your argument is spin.

Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Im not entirely sure what your asking here, but my partner and I are in a commited long term relationship and are Christian. We believe in the Trinity and pray etc... regularly. Its important to us. We believe our relationship is fine with God and he brought us together.

What I were asking was: Do you got the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to have to disagree about that. When anyone can claim str8s can have 'spirit-filled' relationships but LGBTs cannot, they are judging.
I'm not judging, I am asking. If you choose to say that I say that homosexuals can't have the Spirit, then feel free to say so, but that was not what I said.

There is no "homosexuality versus Christianity" debate whatsoever. There is a certain minority of Christians (and Muslims, and Jews, and Hindus, and atheists...) committed to promoting antigay prejudice, but in doing so they are in no way acting "as Christians".
Perhaps in your mind there is no debate, but the fact that there is a sub-forum just for "debates on homosexuality" makes it pretty clear that not everyone agree with you there :)

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What I were asking was: Do you got the Holy Spirit?

Erm.. I believe the Holy Spirit is with us yes.. but I don't really buy into the whole Pentecostal/Evangelical American style of "spirit filled" type stuff. Which of those is it your going for here? Your phrasing your question in a quite unusual way.

Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Erm.. I believe the Holy Spirit is with us yes.. but I don't really buy into the whole Pentecostal/Evangelical American style of "spirit filled" type stuff. Which of those is it your going for here? Your phrasing your question in a quite unusual way.

All right, I'm not going to get into a long debate about the Holy Spirit if you don't believe that the Spirit is something Christians actually have present in their lives.

And I were not looking for any specific denomination or "American style" here, but homosexual couples that talk about the Holy Spirit and how this is something actual they have in their life, instead of something that just is written about in the bible.

I've seen people from all denominations talk about being close to God and actually literally experiencing God in their lives, but can't remember homosexuals talk like that, so that is why I am curious really, to see if this is something missing, or if I have just not tried to look for it yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Katherine Jefferts Schori, the presiding bishop of the gay-affirming ECUSA, was asked on national television whether same-sex practicing gays could live a holy life. She couldn't give an answer. She ordinated Gene Robinson by the way.

You can view the interview in this post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VzL...ress.com/2008/03/14/can-a-homosexual-be-holy/

Katharine Schori

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
All right, I'm not going to get into a long debate about the Holy Spirit if you don't believe that the Spirit is something Christians actually have present in their lives.

And I were not looking for any specific denomination or "American style" here, but homosexual couples that talk about the Holy Spirit and how this is something actual they have in their life, instead of something that just is written about in the bible.

I've seen people from all denominations talk about being close to God and actually literally experiencing God in their lives, but can't remember homosexuals talk like that, so that is why I am curious really, to see if this is something missing, or if I have just not tried to look for it yet.

Ok you finally make sense now.
Yes I believe we experience God in our lives and our relationship. We have definately experienced the Holy Spirit in our lives.

Seriously your post could have just said "Do any gay Christian couples experience God/Jesus/The Holy Spirit in their lives" and the whole thing would have been a lot easier to follow. I'd imagine all Christians experience God in their lives regardless of sexuality.. the reason I'm a Christian is of personal experiences I have had with God.. my sexuality is irrelevant to the subject really.

Reactions: Texas Lynn
Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not judging, I am asking. If you choose to say that I say that homosexuals can't have the Spirit, then feel free to say so, but that was not what I said.

I did not say that you said that. The condescending manner in which the question is asked appears to suggest this is your opinion but no doubt whether it is yours or not it is somebody's.

Perhaps in your mind there is no debate, but the fact that there is a sub-forum just for "debates on homosexuality" makes it pretty clear that not everyone agree with you there :)

You are wrong. we have debates here, yes, but they are not and never have been per se between "Christians" and "homosexuals" as in no way are these two groups at all mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive. Thus your characterization of the debates which occur here as being between those two groups is grossly innacurate.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Katherine Jefferts Schori, the presiding bishop of the gay-affirming ECUSA, was asked on national television whether same-sex practicing gays could live a holy life. She couldn't give an answer. She ordinated Gene Robinson by the way.

You can view the interview in this post:

Katharine Schori

Unless she was silent she obviously did give an answer. Just not the one you wanted.

Upvote 0

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ok you finally make sense now.
Yes I believe we experience God in our lives and our relationship. We have definately experienced the Holy Spirit in our lives.

Seriously your post could have just said "Do any gay Christian couples experience God/Jesus/The Holy Spirit in their lives" and the whole thing would have been a lot easier to follow. I'd imagine all Christians experience God in their lives regardless of sexuality.. the reason I'm a Christian is of personal experiences I have had with God.. my sexuality is irrelevant to the subject really.
Interesting answer HaloHope :thumbsup: Still I would like to see more testimonies about homosexual Christian couples that tell about how God works in their lives.

I know for sure that the bible tells us that everything is allowed, but that not everything is good for us or something that builds us up.

I were going to write that I thought God approved on homosexual relationships/marriages from what you told me, but then I felt something stopped me, and I got reminded about:

Rom 14,2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

1.Cor. 8,10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Rom 14,14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

And I know that these verses really talk about food, but I think they can be used in all things in life. For example some people consider the Harry Potter books to be something unclean, but I don't. And in the same way I think many Christians would consider it wrong to have relationships with someone of the same sex, and according to Paul, then it really is wrong of them to do that, if they consider it to be "unclean". So I guess what decides if a homosexual couple can live as Christians is if they consider it to be wrong or not, and not what the society consider to be wrong, but what they personally feel in their hearts. And maybe that is why this debate never see any end, cause everyone in are looking in their bibles for rules about this, and by that they forget that we are not under the law, but under the mercy. But if all the Christians would have love for each other, and not tried to make others to do something that is considered unclean for them, and if not those that do consider it to be unclean would not judge, then the debate would end, and there could be peace in this.

So it would be good if more homosexual couples could tell about their relationship with God, and that everyone could remember to do something that is good for their brothers and sisters, cause we really are brothers and sisters no matter if we disagree. Those that only care about bringing forth their view have only love for themselves.

I feel that I forgot to mention something, but I can't figure out what it was.

Upvote 0