Spirit-filled homosexual relationship, is that possible?

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I did not say that you said that. The condescending manner in which the question is asked appears to suggest this is your opinion but no doubt whether it is yours or not it is somebody's.

You are wrong. we have debates here, yes, but they are not and never have been per se between "Christians" and "homosexuals" as in no way are these two groups at all mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive. Thus your characterization of the debates which occur here as being between those two groups is grossly innacurate.

You seem to be in a "attack-mode" against me here, but honestly I didn't plan to make anyone feel bad by my questions. And it is completely volunteer if anyone chooses to answer or not. The reason for my questions is for personal reasons, cause I don't have a clear answer in the "same sex marriage debate". So I hoped maybe I would get a better answer by hearing what homosexual couples had to say about their relationship with God.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I were going to write that I thought God approved on homosexual relationships/marriages from what you told me, but then I felt something stopped me, and I got reminded about:

Rom 14,2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

1.Cor. 8,10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Rom 14,14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

Hello Bellicus. Your point has been made before. If my own brother is fighting an alchohol addiction problem, and I drink, would I stand in front of him sipping on a drink? If I love my brother, obviously I would not treat my brother this way.

Yet on this forum people have tried to force others who are suffering in weakness to accept their desires. This is not an act of love, but rather uncaring. :sorry:

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Interesting answer HaloHope :thumbsup: Still I would like to see more testimonies about homosexual Christian couples that tell about how God works in their lives.

I know for sure that the bible tells us that everything is allowed, but that not everything is good for us or something that builds us up.

I were going to write that I thought God approved on homosexual relationships/marriages from what you told me, but then I felt something stopped me, and I got reminded about:

Rom 14,2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

1.Cor. 8,10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Rom 14,14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

And I know that these verses really talk about food, but I think they can be used in all things in life. For example some people consider the Harry Potter books to be something unclean, but I don't. And in the same way I think many Christians would consider it wrong to have relationships with someone of the same sex, and according to Paul, then it really is wrong of them to do that, if they consider it to be "unclean". So I guess what decides if a homosexual couple can live as Christians is if they consider it to be wrong or not, and not what the society consider to be wrong, but what they personally feel in their hearts. And maybe that is why this debate never see any end, cause everyone in are looking in their bibles for rules about this, and by that they forget that we are not under the law, but under the mercy. But if all the Christians would have love for each other, and not tried to make others to do something that is considered unclean for them, and if not those that do consider it to be unclean would not judge, then the debate would end, and there could be peace in this.

So it would be good if more homosexual couples could tell about their relationship with God, and that everyone could remember to do something that is good for their brothers and sisters, cause we really are brothers and sisters no matter if we disagree. Those that only care about bringing forth their view have only love for themselves.

I feel that I forgot to mention something, but I can't figure out what it was.

Interesting reply from you too.

In general the society I live in has zero problem with homosexual people, I have encountered homophobia in real life of course but as a rule I mostly see it on the internet.

I am convinced homosexuality isnt a sin, as ive said before on these forums I wouldnt be a Christian now if it wasn't for my partner convincing me to try to go to church with her, if I hadn't gone I wouldnt have reached out to God and recieved the amazing experience I did that converted me to be a Christian in the first place.

I find great spiritual peace in praying to God with my partner, we pray together a great deal, and he has really blessed us with strong careers, a nice home, being able to plan to get married in the future, lots of things. I am truly greatful to God to have such wonderful blessings and try and give back as best I can.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You seem to be in a "attack-mode" against me here, but honestly I didn't plan to make anyone feel bad by my questions. And it is completely volunteer if anyone chooses to answer or not. The reason for my questions is for personal reasons, cause I don't have a clear answer in the "same sex marriage debate". So I hoped maybe I would get a better answer by hearing what homosexual couples had to say about their relationship with God.

Man, if you think what I posted is seemingly "attack mode" I'd hate to see you have to address a real attack. No offense to you or taken. I felt the styling of the original question and the proposing there's a "Christians versus homosexuals" argument going on was unfortunate, but to tell you the truth it's pretty mild compare to some of the antigay hatred which gets posted here. I just don't believe in telling people something is not somewhat mildly offensive or condescending when it is. It's nothing on the level of the guy who said regarding Barack Obama that the slogan he uses "Change" stood for "Come Help A ... Get Elected".

I'm a Mainliner married to a recovered Catholic. As with others from such cultures we tend to be more subdued. As Jilly Cooper said of the English Lord, we know God believes in us and we believe in Him. Our emotional response to diety generally does not involve Glossolalia and Dancing in the Spirit, usually.

A reference which may be of help to you is Ferocious Romance: What My Encounters With the Right Taught me About Sex, God, and Fury by Donna Minkowitz in which the first chapter addresses to some extent the spiritual experiences of some Pentecostal LGBTs. Rev. Troy Perry's The Lord is My Shepard and He Knows I'm Gay may also be of use. Perry was an Assemblies of God minister prior to being given the bum's rush by them and starting Metropolitan Community Churches. It appears you are in Europe so you may not have an MCC near you but perhaps there may be one in Amsterdam or London. They are all over the U.S.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello Bellicus. Your point has been made before. If my own brother is fighting an alchohol addiction problem, and I drink, would I stand in front of him sipping on a drink? If I love my brother, obviously I would not treat my brother this way.

Yet on this forum people have tried to force others who are suffering in weakness to accept their desires. This is not an act of love, but rather uncaring. :sorry:

Precisely why so many of us fight against homophobia here. Some of the worst cases of homophobia are internalized.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting reply from you too.

In general the society I live in has zero problem with homosexual people, I have encountered homophobia in real life of course but as a rule I mostly see it on the internet.

I am convinced homosexuality isnt a sin, as ive said before on these forums I wouldnt be a Christian now if it wasn't for my partner convincing me to try to go to church with her, if I hadn't gone I wouldnt have reached out to God and recieved the amazing experience I did that converted me to be a Christian in the first place.

I find great spiritual peace in praying to God with my partner, we pray together a great deal, and he has really blessed us with strong careers, a nice home, being able to plan to get married in the future, lots of things. I am truly greatful to God to have such wonderful blessings and try and give back as best I can.

Our experience is somewhat similar though I married a former Catholic who was mostly secularized and in a profession where rationality is valued (university professor, even though it's a religious university) but being a PK for me marrying another Christian was a sine qua non. We just don't raise hands a lot in the Mainline Churches, that's all. I love the MCC folks and their spirit-filled services but it's not for us. We are Methodists who find spirituality in the Liturgy and love the Episcopals for their passion for social justice and while their Eucharist is beautiful we're just more subdued.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Matt 7:24-27 - Standing on the Rock
Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus either said nothing whatsoever about homosexuality in his ministry or what he said was so insignificant it was never documented both of which strongly shows the obsession many right-wing Christians have about the particular issue is considerably bizarre.
You are so flat wrong here! Two gospels recorded Jesus quoting from Genesis, where marriage was defined as between one man and one woman.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You are so flat wrong here! Two gospels recorded Jesus quoting from Genesis, where marriage was defined as between one man and one woman.

None of which applies to LGBT relationships of today. Thank you for proving my point.

Reactions: Dogbean
Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

To Texas Lynn,

None of which applies to LGBT relationships of today. Thank you for proving my point.

No it’s the other way round, LGBT relationships don’t apply to Jesus Christ’s teaching, they are contrary, that’s the problem with them.

Jesus either said nothing whatsoever about homosexuality in his ministry or what he said was so insignificant it was never documented both of which strongly shows the obsession many right-wing Christians have about the particular issue is considerably bizarre.

That’s rubbish, what you mean is you don’t believe, so its nothing to do with right wing Christians but to do with Christian views being called right wing on the pretext of trying to smuggle non-Christian views in as left wing.;)
Its rubbish because Jesus teaching comes to us from the NT writers, Paul, who wrote Romans and the letters to the Corinthians received his revelations from the risen Lord not men (Galatians 1) and he makes it quite clear in Romans 1 that men lusting after men and committing indecent acts with them is not only against nature but error. That in your terms is homosexual not heterosexual, something you and others fail to address and comment on because you cant. All you do is repeat the same old false mantra of ‘Jesus never said’. As to the gospels, Mathew 19 alone records, as explained to you by several here, Jesus affirming God’s creation of woman for man for the reason that a man shall be united with his wife and the two shall become one flesh, offering celibacy as an alternative, 1 Corinthians 7 backs that up. That ‘says’ a lot about homosexuality and LGBT, it means homosexuality and LGBT are human concepts outside what Jesus has countenanced. So yes Jesus does teach about it in a way, what He teaches shows it is a false and dysfunctional concept.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dogbean

Matt 7:24-27 - Standing on the Rock
Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
To Texas Lynn,

No it’s the other way round, LGBT relationships don’t apply to Jesus Christ’s teaching, they are contrary, that’s the problem with them.

That’s rubbish, what you mean is you don’t believe, so its nothing to do with right wing Christians but to do with Christian views being called right wing on the pretext of trying to smuggle non-Christian views in as left wing.;)
Its rubbish because Jesus teaching comes to us from the NT writers, Paul, who wrote Romans and the letters to the Corinthians received his revelations from the risen Lord not men (Galatians 1) and he makes it quite clear in Romans 1 that men lusting after men and committing indecent acts with them is not only against nature but error. That in your terms is homosexual not heterosexual, something you and others fail to address and comment on because you cant. All you do is repeat the same old false mantra of ‘Jesus never said’. As to the gospels, Mathew 19 alone records, as explained to you by several here, Jesus affirming God’s creation of woman for man for the reason that a man shall be united with his wife and the two shall become one flesh, offering celibacy as an alternative, 1 Corinthians 7 backs that up. That ‘says’ a lot about homosexuality and LGBT, it means homosexuality and LGBT are human concepts outside what Jesus has countenanced. So yes Jesus does teach about it in a way, what He teaches shows it is a false and dysfunctional concept.
That was beautiful! Almost brought a tear to me eye to see the Word of God proclaimed so well....:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Please do tell us about your conversion experience.

Ive told it a few times here,
Essentially I went to an (Anglican) service with an extended session of prayer. During the prayer which was accompanied by some beautiful music, I pretty much felt like a powerful force had hit me, I fell to my knees, cried etc.. . Id essentially turned away from the church because people told me I couldnt be who I was and Christian at the same time, but at that moment I felt an overwhelming feeling of love and acceptance and realized God didnt feel the way they did.

After crying for a good 15mins in front of a full congregation I got lots of hugs from everyone around me, and came back to being a Christian.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive told it a few times here,
Essentially I went to an (Anglican) service with an extended session of prayer. During the prayer which was accompanied by some beautiful music, I pretty much felt like a powerful force had hit me, I fell to my knees, cried etc.. . Id essentially turned away from the church because people told me I couldnt be who I was and Christian at the same time, but at that moment I felt an overwhelming feeling of love and acceptance and realized God didnt feel the way they did.

After crying for a good 15mins in front of a full congregation I got lots of hugs from everyone around me, and came back to being a Christian.

You came forward and you cried at a church service. As a result of that, do feel you would go to heaven if you died today? Why or why not?

PS if you'd like to Accept Jesus Christ as your savior, try the link on my tag line. :)

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You came forward and you cried at a church service. As a result of that, do feel you would go to heaven if you died today? Why or why not?

PS if you'd like to Accept Jesus Christ as your savior, try the link on my tag line. :)

Thanks MB but ive already accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. But I appreciate the rather offensive implication that I hadn't. I believe I will go to heaven as I accepted Jesus in my heart at that point in time. Yay for Jesus!

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Thanks MB but ive already accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. But I appreciate the rather offensive implication that I hadn't. I believe I will go to heaven as I accepted Jesus in my heart at that point in time. Yay for Jesus!
The implication that you havent is based on the evidence of what you have said about your faith, which wasnt necessary. We are not interested in judging people, but rather what is right. Jesus said that those who love Him obey all His teaching (Matthew 28, John 14-16) and commands, as soon as people dispute them they open up the possibility that thye havent accepted Christ as Lord of their lives. Furthermore the NT teaching says we work out our salvation and that its possible ot lose it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks MB but ive already accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

OK well I didn't hear you say that you accepted Christ in your conversion experience. You said you felt some emotions, cried and people hugged you.

But I appreciate the rather offensive implication that I hadn't.

Well I'm sorry if you felt offended, because it certainly was not intended that way. Whoever told you a gay person can't become a Christian lied to you. Jesus can save anyone that has a heart to repent.

I believe I will go to heaven as I accepted Jesus in my heart at that point in time. Yay for Jesus!

So did somebody at church explain that to you? (I hope so)

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
OK well I didn't hear you say that you accepted Christ in your conversion experience. You said you felt some emotions, cried and people hugged you.

Well I'm sorry if you felt offended, because it certainly was not intended that way. Whoever told you a gay person can't become a Christian lied to you. Jesus can save anyone that has a heart to repent.

So did somebody at church explain that to you? (I hope so)

Sorry if I seemed defensive, but I assumed by the fact I said "I became Christian" it was common sense id accepted Jesus in my heart. I already knew what being a Christian entailed, but yes it was pointed out to me by people at the church, my girlfriend had already mentioned it.. I was raised a Methodist so I knew what Christianity was all about.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry if I seemed defensive, but I assumed by the fact I said "I became Christian" it was common sense id accepted Jesus in my heart. I already knew what being a Christian entailed, but yes it was pointed out to me by people at the church, my girlfriend had already mentioned it.. I was raised a Methodist so I knew what Christianity was all about.

My wife was raised Methodist as well, but salvation wasn't clearly explained to her. She thought it was based on works because of her church's teachings. The link explains salvation quite well. It's worth a check-up. :)

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
My wife was raised Methodist as well, but salvation wasn't clearly explained to her. She thought it was based on works because of her church's teachings. The link explains salvation quite well. It's worth a check-up. :)

I don't really want to get into a doctrinal debate with you, I believe in salvation by faith, and am on the fence about salvation from works, I've been to many different churches of many different kinds:- Catholic, Anglican, Pentecostal, Orthodox, Quaker, Methodist... and I feel they all have various levels of value. I tend to class myself as non-denominational as I don't think denominations are a particularly good thing.

But I digress, I believe myself to be a Christian and for the purposes of this discussion one who happens to be gay, I have accepted Jesus and believe through faith in him I am saved. :)

Upvote 0