Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don't speak in tongues but my wife does. For the skeptics of whether its from God or not here is an interesting read:
Is Speaking in Tongues From God or the Devil?
The ability to pray in tongues is just three steps of faith away. The first and most important step is for you to believe that speaking in tongues is God's will for you. The other two steps, asking and receiving are simple. Then you are away laughing as you start speaking in faith.

Reactions: Hall
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
About 25 years ago, my wife and I were asked by a close friend to pray long distance for a relative of hers that we did not know. There was a critical health issue at stake.

We started to pray in English about the things we knew as facts. I discerned a spirit of death over the man so we started to rebuke it in the name of Jesus.

We then started to pray in tongues, and yes, tongues is not just reserved for speaking to God, it also includes angelic tongues, so I was rebuking the demons using tongues.

I was standing in our living room with my eyes closed facing the window while speaking in tongues in a very animated fashion.

My wife was sitting on the sofa, also eyes closed praying in tongues.

As I continued in the battle, I suddenly found that I had been transported into a vision of an extremely hot arid place. The sky was red and hot and I was standing in the street of a township consisting of what looked like low adobe flat roofed shacks.

At the other end of the street was a very evil entity. I couldn't actually discern its exact form but I knew it was the spirit of death that I was attacking.

As I spoke the words in tongues, I was bending down picking up rocks from the street (ie. the living room carpet) and violently throwing them at this demon, (ie. out of the living room window).
In response it was ducking and diving trying to avoid being hit, all the time retreating further and further away from me.

My tongues plus the rocks were clearly painful and driving it away.

My wife, who throughout this time had also been at war in tongues, suddenly broke into English with, "We stone you out of the town!"

I was jolted back down to earth.

When I asked, she described to me the exact same vision location that I had been in, doing the same thing, although neither had seen the other.
A number of years ago a friend on CF asked me to pray for his mother who was seriously ill in hospital with uncontrollable bleeding in her stomach. I went to pray and asked God to guide my tongue. The language that came out was so fast it almost sounded like a fax machine. After 20 minutes I was totally drained with the intense flow that was coming out of me. Then it stopped. I have never experienced that kind of intercessory tongues before or since. A couple of days later he told me that the bleeding had stopped and his mother was being discharged from the hospital. I believe that the intercession in tongues saved her life. It shows me that when we trust in God to guide us in tongues, miracles can happen. I live in New Zealand and the mother was in a London hospital, 12,000 miles away. God is not limited by distance when interceding in the spirit.

Upvote 0

james dean

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
✟15,201.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Married
Hi there. I received what i think is the gift of tongues after 8 years of asking for it. My tongue started tickling the top of my palette when i was at a church retreat over the weekend - after I asked for the gift. It got a little more pronounced by the end of that day when the blessed sacrament was exposed right in front of me. It's been a few days now. Every time i engage my tongue to my palette (just behind my teeth or in the middle) it flaps furiously, even when I'm not in prayer. When i yield my voice to it, i hear 'la la la' sounds. I don't hear anything in my head and it doesn't yet sound like a language. Has anybody else had this experience? Will this mature into a language?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Hi there. I received what i think is the gift of tongues after 8 years of asking for it. My tongue started tickling the top of my palette when i was at a church retreat over the weekend - after I asked for the gift. It got a little more pronounced by the end of that day when the blessed sacrament was exposed right in front of me. It's been a few days now. Every time i engage my tongue to my palette (just behind my teeth or in the middle) it flaps furiously, even when I'm not in prayer. When i yield my voice to it, i hear 'la la la' sounds. I don't hear anything in my head and it doesn't yet sound like a language. Has anybody else had this experience? Will this mature into a language?
Be encouraged and let it flow, and don't just wait till you are in church.

1Cor14v14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15What then shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.…

As you can see, Paul makes it clear that the gift of tongues does not flow from his mind, but his spirit. So continue yielding your voice to it and exploring it, keeping your heart and mind set on the Lord alone.
The enemy of the Holy Spirit at work in you is always the human mind (Tree of Knowledge = death).
It is your mind that always wants to control of how your human spirit functions.

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we are filled with Holy Spirit and slained in the spirit we cry at the feet of Jesus and our tongue moves by itself uttering a strange language.

But the people who speak in tongue actually strengthening their faith only, so when we are weak and depressed and unable to say a word then we ask for the Holy Spirit to take over our tongue.

We should not speak in tongues in front of unbelievers as they will assume we are crazy.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have written a book "A New Look At the Baptism In The Spirit" which gives a comprehensive explanation of how the gift of tongues and prophecy works and how you can know you have received the genuine article. PM me for the link to Amazon if you are interested.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I have written a book "A New Look At the Baptism In The Spirit" which gives a comprehensive explanation of how the gift of tongues and prophecy works and how you can know you have received the genuine article. PM me for the link to Amazon if you are interested.

You teaching on this subject is wonderful.
You have a wonderful gift of teaching ,I am glad you are sharing your gift by making it possible for others to find the truth by going into a broader audience in Book form.
Tongues are so very misunderstood by those who have not received the gift.
I personally believe that Satan has done his best to separate us from our Spirit communing with God.
Many have been deceived by experiences that created a fear of tongues.
My Dad a Baptist Preacher, told me of one such experience as a young man.
As I matured in God's Word ,I could not find any reason we should not seek the Gifts.
When the Holy Spirit fell on me ,it was the closest I had ever been to God's holiness.
Joy came over me that is hard to convey in words.
Thank You for helping others along on their walk with God.
Oddly My Dads favorite song was a closer walk with thee.
He was a powerful Preacher ,you could watch the Spirit comer over Him in the pulpit.
I remember often He would visit a Pastor in a small Church far back in a field where they farmed.
It was a full Gospel Church, I believe My Dad sought the same Blessing those of us gladly have received today.

• Agree
Reactions: GTW27
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Nope. After 12 years in the Pentecostal movement I became very disillusioned over events that happened to me, and I rejected it and went over to a traditional church. One thing I couldn't do was to stop speaking in tongues! This convinced me that what I had was from God and not from a Pentecostal church. In fact, I realised that tongues was not a Pentecostal thing but a New Testament ability that was not limited to one religious denomination. I also spent a storm and stress period in my life where I was not living up to God's standards for me, but all during that time, I never lost the ability to pray in tongues. I reckon that praying in tongues got me through it, turned the "Titanic" around and got me on the spiritual straight and narrow again with God. Also, the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. Once God has given the ability to speak in tongues, He will never take it from you.

Your experience among the Pentecostal church, is a great Topic.
It seems the general concences among denomations is The Gifts are something that is exclusive to Pentecostals, and they group Charismatic people under the Pentecostal heading all the same.
Southern Baptist have always believed in the Spiritual gifts .
They are the largest denomation among the Baptist, yet they are much divided from other Baptist headings.

I started to follow a popular Preacher named Robert Morris.
Follow meaning enjoy his sermons ,I am not sold out to anyone but Christ.
I was surprised at his sermons on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
He teaches a full Gospel message ,including Tongues.
I later found out He is a Baptist.
I suppose it depends on what Church and what dogma you become a custom to.
I Attend a non denomational Church and we are full Gospel, but not as aggressive as some Pentecostals in their teaching.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Your experience among the Pentecostal church, is a great Topic.
It seems the general concences among denomations is The Gifts are something that is exclusive to Pentecostals, and they group Charismatic people under the Pentecostal heading all the same.
Southern Baptist have always believed in the Spiritual gifts .
They are the largest denomation among the Baptist, yet they are much divided from other Baptist headings.

I started to follow a popular Preacher named Robert Morris.
Follow meaning enjoy his sermons ,I am not sold out to anyone but Christ.
I was surprised at his sermons on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
He teaches a full Gospel message ,including Tongues.
I later found out He is a Baptist.
I suppose it depends on what Church and what dogma you become a custom to.
I Attend a non denomational Church and we are full Gospel, but not as aggressive as some Pentecostals in their teaching.

Thank you for your responses. It is greatly encouraging to me when something I have written brings blessing on another person.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your responses. It is greatly encouraging to me when something I have written brings blessing on another person.

Your welcome Oscar,in times past I may have been a bit to aggressive in posting,it's time I thank the people who help me on our journey.
Your teaching encourages others,and is vital to our effective prayer
When we are under attack.
God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums