Everywhere
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just recently received the spiritual gift of speaking in tongues. I just wanted to ask, if you do speak in tongues, how long does it usually last for you? Can you tell when you are about to begin speaking in tongues? Do you feel any particular way when you do? I basically just want to know your experience with it.

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It lasts as long as I choose to speak. I can tell I am about to speak in tongues the same way I can tell I am about to say anything else by knowing I have decided to do it then just do it, I am not taken over by anything but simply speak with my spirit from God. I don't think you should go into speaking tongues with any type of expectation of feeling any sort of way but simply do it because you want to.

Upvote 0

Briana0013

Jun 6, 2017
Everywhere
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It lasts as long as I choose to speak. I can tell I am about to speak in tongues the same way I can tell I am about to say anything else by knowing I have decided to do it then just do it, I am not taken over by anything but simply speak with my spirit from God. I don't think you should go into speaking tongues with any type of expectation of feeling any sort of way but simply do it because you want to.

I ask because when I am about to speak in tongues , my jaw starts to move. Every time thus far it hasn't been intentional. It's also like I'm not controlling my mouth movements in any way. I just feel the muscles tugging and then they move. My heartbeat speeds up, and I go until it just stops. I haven't exactly learned how to intentionally speak in tongues, or to do it really in prayer , I'm not really sure how to explain it.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be good to get into a holy spirit tongue speaking church invironment and get some training....

I first spoke in tongues in my 20s and some from my conservative background talked me out of it....
The gift lay dormant for nearly 10 years......
Now i am constantly praying in tonges to get boosted in the Spirit and are currently visiting a. AG church as my wife and i have been in secastion church for some years......

Congrats on the babtism of the Hs. I have been talking to my 19 year old daughter for years to get her to seek the gift of tongues.......
Interesting her name is BreAnna

Reactions: Briana0013
Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I ask because when I am about to speak in tongues , my jaw starts to move. Every time thus far it hasn't been intentional. It's also like I'm not controlling my mouth movements in any way. I just feel the muscles tugging and then they move. My heartbeat speeds up, and I go until it just stops. I haven't exactly learned how to intentionally speak in tongues, or to do it really in prayer , I'm not really sure how to explain it.

It's completely normal when first doing it to feel uneasy or uncomfortable about the whole thing in some way. Questions sometimes come to mind like am I really speaking in tongues? Am I just making this stuff up? etc. Eventually all of your concerns go away so enjoy it, have fun and be easy on yourself. And don't feel afraid to ask questions. And it just seems like you are over analyzing the process which I think we all do when we first begin this but eventually we just do it and don't overthink it.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said you just received this, so its new to you, and this feeling is new, don't stress it at all, just let the HS speak whenever He wants to speak, just open your mouth and let it happen. He knows what to pray, there's not a magic show kinda feeling, or no special signal that its about to happen, its just something you get used to and its a wonderful gift to have, be thankful and congratulations ;)

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You said you just received this, so its new to you, and this feeling is new, don't stress it at all, just let the HS speak whenever He wants to speak, just open your mouth and let it happen. He knows what to pray, there's not a magic show kinda feeling, or no special signal that its about to happen, its just something you get used to and its a wonderful gift to have, be thankful and congratulations ;)
What is the point in tongues Solomon? I feel like it is a pretty useless gift...but isn't it?

By the way I hope you are doing yourself well :]

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This may seem strange, but I believe it it may also be God and His angels language. The reason being that my wife often has dreams that she is in heaven, I can hear her have conversations with God in tongues while she sleeps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the point in tongues Solomon? I feel like it is a pretty useless gift...but isn't it?

By the way I hope you are doing yourself well :]
Hey there Luca and yes I am doing well. Honey this is defiantly NOT a useless gift, its saved my backside many many times and broke through walls I never couldve known how to break. Trust me its a much desired and beneficial gift. HS prays straight to the Father and knows EXACTLY what to pray, many times we find ourself in situations where we dont have words or even know what to say, no problemo, HS is on the scene and takes care of it. Promise ya kiddo :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey there Luca and yes I am doing well. Honey this is defiantly NOT a useless gift, its saved my backside many many times and broke through walls I never couldve known how to break. Trust me its a much desired and beneficial gift. HS prays straight to the Father and knows EXACTLY what to pray, many times we find ourself in situations where we dont have words or even know what to say, no problemo, HS is on the scene and takes care of it. Promise ya kiddo :oldthumbsup:
But I dont understand. It confuses me so much. So God's spirit is talking through you to talk to himself? Why can he not just give you the strength or make something happen?

Upvote 0

Briana0013

Jun 6, 2017
Everywhere
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would be good to get into a holy spirit tongue speaking church invironment and get some training....

I first spoke in tongues in my 20s and some from my conservative background talked me out of it....
The gift lay dormant for nearly 10 years......
Now i am constantly praying in tonges to get boosted in the Spirit and are currently visiting a. AG church as my wife and i have been in secastion church for some years......

Congrats on the babtism of the Hs. I have been talking to my 19 year old daughter for years to get her to seek the gift of tongues.......
Interesting her name is BreAnna
It is interesting. Also, I know that I prayed once or twice for the gift but it was so long ago. But I was at a youth conference when it happened. The pastor had asked if anyone had been seeking the dift or had ever wanted it. I was at the alter in worship along with 50-70 other people. I raised my hands with many others, and just praised Jesus. The pastor came off the stage and began touching a few peoples heads and praying over them. He actually got to me and said something in prayer that I didn't hear because I was so into worship. AS soon as his hand left my head, I was just over come with the Holy Spirit. I began speaking in tongues and just began sobbing at the same time. It was honestly the best feeling ever, because It was the first time I had truly felt the HS .

Upvote 0

Briana0013

Jun 6, 2017
Everywhere
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do we know if we have the gift? I've tried before and it sounds like Im speaking in tongues but am not sure if I am only immitating the sound of it.
I haven't had to try. It honestly just overcame me and since I have done it multiple times. For me it requires no thought. It just happens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't had to try. It honestly just overcame me and since I have done it multiple times. For me it requires no thought. It just happens.
That's the way it happens with my wife also, she doesn't try it just happens every now and then especially when in deep prayer, it takes over.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep exercising the gift and being filled with the Holy Spirit
Prophesy and tongues are a gift of faith......
A friend of mine sought the gift for almost 2 years until God babtizes him...........
I usually speak in tongues for a few minutes before i start praying...
As the word says in Corinth we dont know what to pray but the Spirit makes utterances for us........
Read 1 corinthians 12-14
It will make more sense as the days go by

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I dont understand. It confuses me so much. So God's spirit is talking through you to talk to himself? Why can he not just give you the strength or make something happen?
In 1 corinthians
My spirit prays but my mind doesnt.....
I have spoken in tongues for 20-25 years and still dont know exactly why God gave us this gift.....
But it is in the Bible ....all the apostles had it....
All Pauls churches were taught the gift of the babtism of the HS

To answer your question i blieve our mind is limited and God gives us the gift so we can stirr up our spirits and then later enterpret what God is trying to say....
In other words I believe our minds are crnal at times and this is the wy God has to bypass our minds and speak straight ot our spirit man

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep straight to Himself. Jesus also died for this reason, HS is also called "The Comforter" He is a multitasker ( yeah i know its not a word). BUT it must be very very important for Jesus to ask John the Baptist to baptize Him, you would think that Jesus wouldnt need it, right? Welp, thats just how much we need the Holy Spirit. He does more than speak in an unknown language, the Holy Spirit is a guide, a warning, a comforter, a peace, its the thing here on earth that moves all of us in His Spirit. Its the steam in the engine. I personally think its awesome when Im hit with grief and heartache so bad that I cant even find a human english speaking word to form, HS steps up to the plate and does it for me and most of all, I FEEL IT when HE does this and it feels powerful and brings much relief.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting. Also, I know that I prayed once or twice for the gift but it was so long ago. But I was at a youth conference when it happened. The pastor had asked if anyone had been seeking the dift or had ever wanted it. I was at the alter in worship along with 50-70 other people. I raised my hands with many others, and just praised Jesus. The pastor came off the stage and began touching a few peoples heads and praying over them. He actually got to me and said something in prayer that I didn't hear because I was so into worship. AS soon as his hand left my head, I was just over come with the Holy Spirit. I began speaking in tongues and just began sobbing at the same time. It was honestly the best feeling ever, because It was the first time I had truly felt the HS .
:clap::clap::clap:
78a08b2c97a4013683954b438c63d6a7.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Briana0013
Upvote 0