Zealot who is sensitive to the Holy Spirit
Mar 3, 2009
England
✟15,403.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
firstly i am really forgetful, so please pm me your answer, thanks!

today i was baptised in the holy spirit(and in water 2 weeks ago). I think i have experienced speaking in tongues but i am not sure because it was different than what i have read.
Basically i can utter 2/3 short sentences when the holy spirit put words in my mind. Opposed to "let it flow" as my friend puts it. Other books have put it like its a out of body experience or something.

So if you speak in tongues, what is it like for u? does the holy spirit put words and utterances in your mind and u speak it, or what? please explain in detail. Greatly appreciated. ^_^

Reactions: gratefulgrace

Supplanter

There is no charge for awesomeness.
May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Two Syllables the first time. Thought I was crazy and wouldn't speak in tongues again for about a year. I would feel the urge welling up in my chest when I would pray to open my mouth and speak in tongues, but I suppressed it until I met a friend who taught me more about speaking in tongues and encouraged me. Anyway, it has never been a forced experience. God doesn't force you to do anything. There is an easiness to it, just like it is when you usually speak just with the power of the Holy Spirit. I finally got to the point where I could use the gift whenever I wanted to without any prompting or being deeply in prayer. However, it does of course feel differently when the power of God comes upon you. It has never been an out of body sort of experience for me. It is very real and controllable-though you may feel God moving you strongly and you should, of course, submit to that. Basically, it just took me some practice to get rid of my inhibitions about using the gift.

And Congratulations! :)

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
firstly i am really forgetful, so please pm me your answer, thanks!

today i was baptised in the holy spirit(and in water 2 weeks ago). I think i have experienced speaking in tongues but i am not sure because it was different than what i have read.
Basically i can utter 2/3 short sentences when the holy spirit put words in my mind. Opposed to "let it flow" as my friend puts it. Other books have put it like its a out of body experience or something.

So if you speak in tongues, what is it like for u? does the holy spirit put words and utterances in your mind and u speak it, or what? please explain in detail. Greatly appreciated. ^_^

we speak as the Holy Spirit gives us the ability to speak. when i first received the Holy Spriit i only spoke a few words. but the more i praised the Lord, He gave me more. the Bible says out of our innermost being would flow rivers of living water...a river starts small and picks up speed. we have to stick to the Word and not get caught up in other people's experiences, God is a Spirit, not a mind...keep praising the Lord and according to His Word, you will speak according to His giving you the words to speak.
blessings
bithiah2

Upvote 0

sister4mercy

Faithful
May 5, 2009
✟9,228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interesting that you should ask this.. I'm fairly new to speaking in tongues. I grew up in churches that did not practice being baptized in the holy spirit OR speaking in tongues. Because I know my whole family would think I'm crazy...I do it when I have alone time. For me personally..the holy spirit just lets me know when he has something to say..it's just a feeling within. So I just pray and ask for the spirit to talk for me..and the words just start to flow. One time it was alot of different words..they were very joyful and had a lot to say..this was not long after being baptized in the spirit. And now the spirit has gone back to just several words again and again. Prayer seems to help alot to get the spirit talking. But sometimes..the spirit will just have somethings to say.
Our mind can't understand the spirit immediately. Sometimes I feel like something is wrong..or I need help from God..I dont know what to ask for, or I need an intersession from God and my mind cannot gather words to give my plea to God. This is when the spirit steps in...The spirit is a witness to my soul and its needs. The Spirit speaks to God and for God to me. It is God's heavenly language. The spirit helps me and brings the truth to me from God. The Holy Spirit is amazing! I am very happy that you are able to practice this gift of the spirit. I has transformed me tremendously. It's like my mind knows something is wrong..and my spirit is troubled..The Spirit knows the truth and it can talk to our soul and talk for God. Very interesting stuff. It has brought me alot closer to God. I know it will for you as well.

PS.. Sorry for the terrible grammar..this is difficult to explain!

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
it is very much like all the above posters have said. :)

if it helps you to understand what speaking in tongues is all about, think of a baby learning to talk. they don't start out in complete intelligent sentences and we probably won't either when beginning to speak in tongues. young children especially will have difficulty expressing what they want to say--they understand much more than they can say themselves.

and yes, to answer your question, i have heard the Spirit speak to me in tongues and i have heard other Christians speak in tongues. I've noticed that no two Christians sound alike when speaking in tongues, but each one who speaks is edified or edifies others in turn as they interpret what is said.

Upvote 0

cross bearer

Zealot who is sensitive to the Holy Spirit
Mar 3, 2009
England
✟15,403.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
it is very much like all the above posters have said. :)

if it helps you to understand what speaking in tongues is all about, think of a baby learning to talk. they don't start out in complete intelligent sentences and we probably won't either when beginning to speak in tongues. young children especially will have difficulty expressing what they want to say--they understand much more than they can say themselves.

and yes, to answer your question, i have heard the Spirit speak to me in tongues and i have heard other Christians speak in tongues. I've noticed that no two Christians sound alike when speaking in tongues, but each one who speaks is edified or edifies others in turn as they interpret what is said.
how do you know who will interpret it and who won't? is it dependent upon what church u go to?

Upvote 0

Supplanter

There is no charge for awesomeness.
May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
how do you know who will interpret it and who won't? is it dependent upon what church u go to?

Generally, when tongues are being interpreted for the body of Christ, God will give someone a prophetic utterance while another is speaking in tongues. I've never seen it, but from what I've heard this would perhaps seem more supernatural than a personal prayer language we have with Christ. I asked God to give me the ability to interpret the tongues that I speak in, so that I understand what the Spirit is saying and He does. Now, I suppose that some would see this as invalid when I am praying for others, but generally someone else will confirm what I have said unless it is just me and one other person, then usually it will be confirmed later. What happens with me when I pray for someone is that I feel moved by the Spirit and I begin speaking in tongues, then at moments there will be a pause and the it is back to English to give the interpretation. It all flows from the Holy Spirit.

Maybe this helps. :D

Reactions: Hockey_Fan
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Your prayer language does not require interpretation because it is between you and GOD. A tongues message given in the assembly requires an interpretation because it is for the assembly from GOD.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Your prayer language does not require interpretation because it is between you and GOD. A tongues message given in the assembly requires an interpretation because it is for the assembly from GOD.

:thumbsup::amen::clap::wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.