speaking in tongues?

Should Christians receive the gift of tongues?

• Yes, every Christian should be able to speak in tongues.

• Yes, some Christians will be given the gift of tongues.

• No Christian should ever speak in tongues.

• What is tongues?

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Brethren IN CHRIST said:
john 4:24 worship in spirit and truth

eph 4:23 to be renewed by the spirit of your mind

do you understand
answered no ....

1 thes 5:23 humans made of three parts #1 body #2 soul and #3 spirit

only the spirit is saved in salvation thus the reason why Jesus told us to only worship in Spirit which is in the mind...Hebrew 11:1 faith comes from a hope in a promise that we do not see...the H.S. Gal 5:22, 1 cor 2:9-12, 2 cor 5:7, gal 5:18Jews where under law since they were soulish/natural man

promise in the future we will worship in unity all three will worship
OT could only worship in soulish worship thus the five senses
difference is the soul only believe as long as it can use the 5 senses
to detect it. examples ps 57:6, 2 cor 10:4-5, exudus 4:30-31 saw it believed it

hopefully that helps

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Debbi,

Let the Holy Spirit lead you in the way you should act and manifest His Presence. It's not about feelings and goosebumps, it's about faith. I don't very often get any specific feelings when praying in tongues, maybe just a sense of a burden being lifted, but not always even that. I pray in tongues because I know that the Holy Spirit helps me to pray in a way pleasing to God, and that those prayers are in accord with His Will. That's all I need to know. I have had the feelings sometimes, but I don't look for them, and if your cxhurch is telling you that you must have them, they are wrong. Let the Holy spirit guide you in the way He wants you to go. He will never lead you astray.

Upvote 0

wonder111

Love is the message!
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
✟9,948.00
Faith
Christian
I honestly did not know what speaking in tongues was. I was in university and going through some tough times, I prayed alot, and considered myself spiritual but not too religious. Before i went to sleep one night, I was trying to relax and was praying as usual, it was then that I felt a complete power fill me up and I began speaking in a different language, I was crying and I felt such relief from all of the trouble I was having. My conscious mind was embarrased because it was pretty strange what was happening. It was about a couple months later that a friend had told me that many people speak in tongues, I wasn't sure if this is what i was doing but it really strengthened me in ways I can't explain, and without a doubt my prayers were being heard and being prayed in a way my consious mind could never conceive of. Our little brains are too limited to understand the scope of this.

Upvote 0

set free in Christ

Sep 23, 2003
robbinville nc
Visit site
✟182.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Wonder thank you for your post. I have read it several times and it touches my spirit so much. I do not have that gift and I find it interesting you were operating in that gift you did not know what you were doing. Really something isn't it. I have a couple of friends that do possess that gift and it is something at the people that say that should no longer exhist. My pastor even has it. Also it is something that have the gift that get really hung up on it and God has so so much more for us. Thanks again..

Upvote 0

wonder111

Love is the message!
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
✟9,948.00
Faith
Christian
set free in Christ said:
Wonder thank you for your post. I have read it several times and it touches my spirit so much. I do not have that gift and I find it interesting you were operating in that gift you did not know what you were doing. Really something isn't it. I have a couple of friends that do possess that gift and it is something at the people that say that should no longer exhist. My pastor even has it. Also it is something that have the gift that get really hung up on it and God has so so much more for us. Thanks again..

thanks! It is a bit mind-boggling really, it also showed me that God can reach people in his own way directly to the individual without using another person to first tell you about it. I love that!!

Michelle

Upvote 0

BroDave

Soldier of the Light
Oct 13, 2003
Woodland, California
Visit site
✟115.00
Faith
Protestant
:wave:
Debbi said:
I've been in Pentecostal churches now for many years and the people are always talking about all these feelings and emotions and stuff alot. They talk about feeling God's love and His presence is so real. Something definitely is wrong with me, I have trouble feeling all that emotional stuff or feeling God's love like they talk about. Does having the baptism of the Holy Ghost cause you to be able to feel God's presence and love more than one who haven't fully received yet? Does it cause one to be alot more emotional and shout, run aisles? Does it mean you don't have the baptism of the Holy Ghost if you don't shout and run and pray alot and stuff? I got tired of trying to fit into others cookie cutter idea of what the Holy Ghost baptism is suppose to make you do. Does this make sense?

Debbi
Debbi, I would say to you that what you are believing is the "baptism of the Holy Ghost" is not what most people think it is. They base their claim on what happened in Acts chapter 2 on the day of pentecost. If you read it carefully, you will see that the deciples on that day spoke in the languages of the people standing around listening to them. Now.....if you listen and watch the people in basically the pentecostal circles of churches, that is not what they are doing, and they think that they are. I have been in a pentecostal church for 20 years and have never uttered a word of that babble they call "speaking in tongues". Why.....because that is not the biblical interpretation of speaking in tongues. If you have the ability to look up words from the Bible, look up "tongues" and check it out in the Greek origional language and then you will be able to match scripture passages that refer to "tongues" and you will see that most of them are the same meaning and they do not mean the babbling you hear in the pentecostal churches today. I hope this helps. God bless you and keep searching the scriptures! Study to show yourself approved,a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15. The key point in that scripture is "rightly dividing the word of truth."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.