Arizona
✟7,935.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Having watched an old (well, at least older) episode of a popular TV show, I noticed that the simple catholic family equated speaking in tongues to that of witchcraft/demonic influence.

Although the show was a comedy, I couldn't help but be reminded that a lot of people seem to feel this way. Why is it that so many have chosen to turn their back on the nine spiritual gifts, or at least have decided that two of them (speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues) are evil, and do not belong.

Just a question, and hoping for feedback :)

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Calling one of the gifts of the Spirit evil would be the single most dangerous mistake imaginable. It's a path that ultimately leads to eternal damnation. Methinks it's just more attempts from the enemy to lead people astray. If only people knew the love, comfort and guidance that comes from the Holy Spirit, they would be changed.

I remember praying to the Lord, asking Him to stop me, with as much might as is needed, before I do something against His will. More than once, He did just that, halting a line of thinking dead in its tracks. And if I foolishly tried to continue, He'd just silence me completely, preventing me from even uttering a word or thought. After all, what better can we do that asking for His will to reign in our lives?

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Calling one of the gifts of the Spirit evil would be the single most dangerous mistake imaginable.

I wholeheartedly agree. To me it is the equivalent of denial of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe any one of the gifts is evil and I don't believe any one of the gifts is any less or any more 'special' or any more righteous or unrighteous. They are gifts from God. That is the Truth. He uses who He will, how He will ... not according to man's 'interpretation'. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Tongues was yesterday and is today.

That said, I'm sure there are those who abuse the gift and may even 'purport' having the gift when they don't. But, seriously ... that's the way in all things. There are those who 'purport' to have the very cream that will keep you young ... those that 'purport' to have the very burger loaded with fat that won't hurt you ... we just can't throw out the good with the bad ... kind of where the gift of discernment comes in, I suppose ... and the gift of wisdom to know what to do with the knowledge ... and I guess that would call for the gift of understanding ... and charity to not lord it ... ^_^ and would you look at that ... all the gifts are important and necessary ... just like it says ... relevant and equal. jmho

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
So true, my dear sister.

And of course, the greatest of all is love. And that is something everybody can work at. He who knows love knows God, for God is love. :amen:

I wholeheartedly agree. To me it is the equivalent of denial of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe any one of the gifts is evil and I don't believe any one of the gifts is any less or any more 'special' or any more righteous or unrighteous. They are gifts from God. That is the Truth. He uses who He will, how He will ... not according to man's 'interpretation'. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Tongues was yesterday and is today.

That said, I'm sure there are those who abuse the gift and may even 'purport' having the gift when they don't. But, seriously ... that's the way in all things. There are those who 'purport' to have the very cream that will keep you young ... those that 'purport' to have the very burger loaded with fat that won't hurt you ... we just can't throw out the good with the bad ... kind of where the gift of discernment comes in, I suppose ... and the gift of wisdom to know what to do with the knowledge ... and I guess that would call for the gift of understanding ... and charity to not lord it ... ^_^ and would you look at that ... all the gifts are important and necessary ... just like it says ... relevant and equal. jmho

Upvote 0

SirKenny85

Nov 30, 2010
Arizona
✟7,935.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks to the lot of you for sharing your views on the issue.

To me it is the equivalent of denial of the Holy Spirit. I don't believe any one of the gifts is evil and I don't believe any one of the gifts is any less or any more 'special' or any more righteous or unrighteous.
I think you really hit the nail on the head here. : )

But I guess another one of my main questions is...why? Why does it seem like we (along with other charismatic churches) choose to acknowledge speaking in tongues? I could be greatly mistaken, but I'm pretty sure other denominations either don't, or choose not to.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually there's getting to be pockets of believers in many denominations that do speak in tongues and operate in the other gifts. (Though everything from Yahweh is a gift, right?).

That the spiritual gifts are for believers today is usually what we (charismatics) believe compared to others. Some think we're bragging about being more spiritual, etc. They don't realize that we don't think you have to be holier-than-thou to get this gift but it can help us to love more, etc. Most believers who speak in tongues want every other believer to enjoy this gift.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a pretty scary accusation to make, since there is a genuine manifestation of the Spirit that is called speaking in tongues.

There is a famous preacher who is on the radio who even accused the Corinthians of speaking in 'pagan' tongues, based on the idea that since they spoke 'mysteries' they must have been imitating the temple of Diana. Even though Paul uses the word translated 'mystery' repeatedly to refer to the mystery of the Gospel.

Is this blaspheming the Holy Spirit, calling the gifts of the Spirit that occurred in the Bible no less, pagan? The Pharisees that Jesus warned about the unpardonable sin were attributing His casting out devils, which He did by the Spirit, to Beelzebub. Whether it is that sin is up to God to judge. But it is too close for comfort.

It may be best not to watch such shows, if the writers minds have been contaminated with such wicked ideas.

Upvote 0

Mixolydian

Lord I believe; help my unbelief.
Oct 7, 2008
Kansas
✟11,433.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I've also heard it argued that tongues are evil because certain pagan groups and mormons also speak in tongues. The answer to that is mormons, JW's, and muslims also have a counterfeit Jesus, but that certainly doesn't cause me any pause when it concerns my own faith in the Jesus revealed in the Bible and in my heart and spirit.

Upvote 0

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
i knwo catholics are not crazy about pentacostal practices, and i know that baptists in general DESPISE pentacostal practices. In fact on this very site i was insulted and told that pentacostalism is more pagan than christian. Well you know what? I will defend my faith to the end, I beleive in the Lord Jesus Christ! I beleive he died on the cross for us! I beleive that the Bible is the ONLY source of religous truth, and while I have not read it all I am working on it. I beleive that Christ sends the Holy Spirit to those who have been saved and seek to be tools for which God's miracles of healing can be done! When I pray in english and toungues I know that God has heard my prayer. I felt God fill me when I was baptised by the Holy Spirit, I know never to doubt or betray a gift of God. I have heard so many testemonies in my church alone of what God had done because we have prayed for it, in toungues. I feel the presence of God as the Holy Spirit fills our church when we worship. Pentacostals have brought more people to the faith (in recent times) than any other denomination. But I dont understand why we are attacked by other beleivers of christ! We all share an enemy which will take every one of us to beat. Christians should not fight other Christians they should spend their time spreading the gospel and preparing others for the coming of Christ!

Reactions: Mixolydian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The enemy tries to counterfeit the things of God. But we know that God gives good gifts and according to many Scriptures it's an opportunity to speak to God in a language provided by Him. (Of course sometimes additionally it's for interpretation in church for edification purposes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've just posted this on another board with an entire thread of how off base Phs is -
"reminds me of the scripture from Luke --God, I thank you that I am not the other.. --- This is in response to #11 and #16 (former post numbers before the cleanup).

OP - I am amazed of the benefits and purposes of speaking in tongues according to Scripture. It's either - do we accept a view that opposes Scripture or we accept what Scripture says. Though it is like salvation in that - as believers we can receive this gift but Yahweh isn't going to force us. Speaking for tongues is for all believers with some including the gift of tongues and interpretation is usually for church edification with both given by the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mixolydian

Lord I believe; help my unbelief.
Oct 7, 2008
Kansas
✟11,433.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Nope. And, in fact, the the WoF movement is a satanic creed denying the trinity and calling themselves mini-gods.

Much like other satanic groups, the Morons and Jova'sWitlessess.

Lord rebuke you!

Maybe you should try posting your thoughts on WoF on the WoF forum. You can find the link above. In any event, I don't think the WoF adherents deny the trinity. I think you're confusing them with Oneness Pentecostals, and I would agree with you there (as most folks likely here too) that denying the trinity is a major doctrinal error as is their belief that you have to speak in tongues to be saved.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know of any PH church that doesn't believe in the trinity nor say that you have to speak in tongues to be saved but promotes all believers speaking in tongues and all believing in the trinity.

So you can save your rebuke.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Here is something that I have or may not have mentioned earlier. Pentacostalism in recent years has converted more people thatn any other denomination. Only something rich with the Holy Spirit would have the power to convert so many followers. And to clear up any misconceptions when we pray in toungues, we are not praying, it is our very souls speaking to God in the tongue of the angels.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
How funny. What makes you think that YOU are not the one with the "form of Godliness" with delusions? With the "religious crutches?" Such as one that looks down on those ignorant "young ones" who believe differently from you, (thus OF COURSE must be wrong!).

It's so amusing when a very young non-Pentecostal comes on here thinking they can convince us "with their many words," as pagans do (Matthew 6).

non-Pentecostal would be the key word here

just a reminder everyone should know the rules stickied at the top ... you may not teach or debate in this forum as a non-Pentecostal ... you also may not speak against the denomination ... and that part holds true for everyone ... thought it should be said for the sake of future peace and clarification ...

just making friends and lovin the Lord
lilmiss

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I didn't think saying tongues were for all believers or anything else I said was debating. I was raised in the PH and Assembly churches. But if you think it's debating then I will erase. No problem.

If that's the case, being on here has helped me email a couple of people that I wouldn't have meet otherwise - so it has been beneficial.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Sorry I didn't think saying tongues were for all believers or anything else I said was debating. I was raised in the PH and Assembly churches. But if you think it's debating then I will erase. No problem.

:o I never gave a thought to you being anything but quite on the spot ... not sure how you thought I referenced you, but no :) ... sometimes I send a reminder when I feel hair standing on end ... was just readin along and felt that edge ... please go in peace ...

Upvote 0