Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
stormdancer - I know what you mean. Sometimes I think if we could totally ignore the posts, it would be effective. Do you think that would help?

Read this several months ago - If you don't have a goat, it can't be gotten. I've been working on that ever since. Even though I can usually find it funny in a little bit - I want to get where that time is much shorter.

Upvote 0

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
So, to answer the OP quite directly and without any attempt to discredit or denigrate my favourite denomination: Speaking in tongues is wrong when it stands between you and a greater personal relationship with Christ, just as all sorts of religious activity is apt to do.

Alright i have remained calm until now! DO YOU NOT READ WHAT WE WROTE? PENTACOSTALS BELEIVE THAT SPEAKING IN TOUNGUES DOES BUILD A CLOSER RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS! BECAUSE TO SPEAK IN TOUNGUES YOU HAVE TO BE FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT, THE HOLY SPIRIT IS SENT BY GOD AND CHRIST! AND THEY ARE ALL THE SAME! THE FATHER THE SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT! TOUNGUES IS YOUR SOUL SPEAKING DIRECTLY TO THE HOLY SPIRIT, THEREFORE SPEAKING DIRECTLY TO GOD AND CHRIST, WITHOUT INTERFERENCE FROM YOUR MIND! WHAT GREATER LOVE AND RELATIONSHIP CAN YOU HAVE WITH GOD THAN HAVING YOUR SOUL SPEAK DIRECTLY TO HIM? TO GIVE YOURSELF OVER ENTIRELY TO GOD? WE PRAY TO WORK MIRACLES FOR HIM TO SHOW THE WORLD HIS GLORY! I POSTED A THREAD IN THE BAPTIST SECTION ASKING THEM WHY THE DONT LIKE THE SPEAKING OF TONGUES, READ THEIR RESPONSES, THANKED THEM FOR THEIR RESPONSES, AND NOTIFIED THEM THAT WHILE I DO NOT AGREE I RESPECT THEIR BELIFS AND OPINIONS. THANK YOU. GOODBYE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Having watched an old (well, at least older) episode of a popular TV show, I noticed that the simple catholic family equated speaking in tongues to that of witchcraft/demonic influence.

Although the show was a comedy, I couldn't help but be reminded that a lot of people seem to feel this way. Why is it that so many have chosen to turn their back on the nine spiritual gifts, or at least have decided that two of them (speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues) are evil, and do not belong.

Just a question, and hoping for feedback :)

this song has been on my mind all day ... I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to put it, but I think it's here ... it's the only place it seems to fit ... hope you don't mind? but here goes ... God's still in control ... love, joy, peace, and happiness ...

YouTube - Don't Worry Be Happy Bobby Mc Ferrin [SMILE]

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

Thread is being reopened
This thread has been cleaned up and so you may be missing a post, that is because posts needed to be removed

I would like to remind visitors to this Congregation to remember the Congregation Rule:

Congregation Forums
Forum members who are not a member of that denomination may not debate in that denomination's area. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

I would also like to remind everyone about the Flaming rule:
You will not insult, belittle, mock, use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members, or personally attack other members or groups of members. Do not goad another member or start call-out threads. Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian. Avoid using sarcasm to attempt any of the above.

If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.​

Thread is opened again. Please have fun.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues? Evil? I don't see how speaking in a foreign language is evil. Scripture just says that it doesn't edify the Body unless you have an interpreter handy.

If you're gonna come to you're church and speak French then be ready to interpret for the benefit of you're brethren.

I guess thats the lesson?

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that every gift from God is perfect. I did not speak in tongues because I desired tongues. I simply asked God to give me whatever He had for me and it came as part of the package.

Really? Thats amazing! Just like in Acts. What languages did God give to you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Really? Thats amazing! Just like in Acts. What languages did God give to you?

I've spoken Hebrew and Cherokee while speaking in tongues. I have a friend who speaks primarily French.

But not every time I've spoken in tongues has been a specific language, to my natural knowledge.

Upvote 0

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
But not every time I've spoken in tongues has been a specific language, to my natural knowledge.
It does not have to be, that is when your soul is speaking, that is when your soul is praying for something, or you are prophesising.

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It does not have to be, that is when your soul is speaking, that is when your soul is praying for something, or you are prophesising.

True, but I was just answering the question, just in case it was NOT asked sarcastically. I couldn't tell.

Upvote 0

MagusAlbertus

custom user title
Aug 25, 2003
Edinburg TX
Visit site
✟1,310.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i knwo catholics are not crazy about pentacostal practices, and i know that baptists in general DESPISE pentacostal practices.
I am baptist and I don't hate Pentecostals; I love them as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like mocking to me.

It was.

He consistently states that the gift of tongues is only in human languages over in the non-denomination section, and routinely mocks and denounces people in the Pentecostal and Charismatic churches there.

Such a stance means any atheist could learn a bunch of human languages and claim to have received the gift from GOD.

Upvote 0