Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just being honest because that's all "speaking in tongues" is. The meaning in the Bible is very different as well. When the Apostles spoke in tongues it merely meant they could speak and understand other human languages they ordinarily could not.
Ignorance is a disease as well. Thankfully curable.

1 Corinthians 12:1
Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except it's not ignorance. Just facts.
You wrote: "When the Apostles spoke in tongues it merely meant they could speak and understand other human languages they ordinarily could not."

The Bible doesn't support your claim. Therefore not facts.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
You wrote: "When the Apostles spoke in tongues it merely meant they could speak and understand other human languages they ordinarily could not."

The Bible doesn't support your claim. Therefore not facts.

Early church history supports my claim. The Apostles were given the gift of tongues in order to preach to people who did not understand Greek.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Early church history supports my claim. The Apostles were given the gift of tongues in order to preach to people who did not understand Greek.
Apparently you haven't read 1Cor.12+14 about spiritual gifts. (manifestations of the Holy Spirit)

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Apparently you haven't read 1Cor.12+14 about spiritual gifts. (manifestations of the Holy Spirit)

I'm guessing you didn't even read the link I provided. Tongues was an authentic spiritual gift as it did serve a purpose at one point, but most of the people claiming it today are just in a state of prelest. Their "gift" of tongues is not genuine.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing you didn't even read the link I provided. Tongues was an authentic spiritual gift as it did serve a purpose at one point, but most of the people claiming it today are just in a state of prelest. Their "gift" of tongues is not genuine.
I guess you didn't bother to read the bible on the subject. Might be a better place to start.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I guess you didn't bother to read the bible on the subject. Might be a better place to start.

I have read it. It just doesn't mean what you think it does. There's important historical context there to consider.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read it. It just doesn't mean what you think it does. There's important historical context there to consider.
Yes, you have already informed me of your complete ignorance. Thanks.

Why are you talking to me if you consider me to be mentally and spiritually ill?

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Yes, you have already informed me of your complete ignorance. Thanks.

Why are you talking to me if you consider me to be mentally and spiritually ill?

Again, I'm not ignorant. I backed up my statements with my church's point of view. If you have a problem with that then it's on you. The Bible is not a book we can just read and interpret any way we want. That is why I so vehemently disagree with Sola Scriptura.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, I'm not ignorant. I backed up my statements with my church's point of view. If you have a problem with that then it's on you. The Bible is not a book we can just read and interpret any way we want. That is why I so vehemently disagree with Sola Scriptura.
I guess you would have to read the Bible first before you could hope to understand it.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I guess you would have to read the Bible first before you could hope to understand it.

Again, with claiming I don't read the Bible. I do and I trust thousands of years of commentary on it from theologians more than I trust a single dude on Christianforums.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, with claiming I don't read the Bible. I do and I trust thousands of years of commentary on it from theologians more than I trust a single dude on Christianforums.
I'm not single, I'm married. lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That would do little good in understanding tongues.

Speaking in tongues is speaking in languages. There is no true mystical, other worldly type of tongue which is found in many churches. I only believe in real tongues/languages.

• Agree
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues is speaking in languages. There is no true mystical, other worldly type of tongue which is found in many churches. I only believe in real tongues/languages.
How would you know? You only speak two languages.

Upvote 0