USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How could you prove such an outlandish claim?
Nobody understands mindless babbling, which is all that today's tongues are. Understanding = edification = the original speakers, were said to be edified by speaking in tongues, = they understood what they were saying.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that verse proves your point. If that alone excludes the 2 year old, how did the group at Pentecost understand what was being said? Were the disciples not speaking to God?
Tongues were a heavenly language understood by the speaker and those who had the gift of interpretation. Your little one was not speaking in tongues according to scripture.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The devout Jews who heard the Apostles speak in tongues at Pentecost also received the gift of interpretation at that time. This is how each heard the single heavenly language in their own native dialect.
That is a completely unproven theory.

The more reasonable explanation is obvious. The 120 actually spoke in tongues.
What were you asking me about "standard" doctrine earlier?

Acts 2:4
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This only proves my point. The speaker understood what they were saying and were edified. But they needed to interpret it so others could understand and become edified.
No. It disproves your point.
It says that not every tongues-speaker has (hears) the interpretation.
(that's not even how it works actually - more like prophecy - the speaker doesn't know what is coming forth - they open their mouth and speak in obedience - not knowing)

1 Corinthians 14:5, 11, 28
5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy.
The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets,
so that the church may be edified. ...
13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. ...
28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tongues were a heavenly language understood by the speaker and those who had the gift of interpretation. Your little one was not speaking in tongues according to scripture.
You mean, according to Dave. Scripture says no such thing.

• Winner
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean, according to Dave. Scripture says no such thing.
“For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.” (1 Corinthians 14:2)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.” (1 Corinthians 14:2)
That does not say that tongues is understood by the speaker. That what the gift of interpretation is for.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That does not say that tongues is understood by the speaker. That what the gift of interpretation is for.
If they are edified by so doing, and understanding is the basis for being edified, they certainly knew what they were saying. You need to drop the framework passed down by the hicks at Asuza street and read Acts and Corinthians for yourself and find out what it really says.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they are edified by so doing, and understanding is the basis for being edified, they certainly knew what they were saying. You need to drop the framework passed down by the hicks at Asuza street and read Acts and Corinthians for yourself and find out what it really says.
"... the hicks at Asuza street" ??? (more fighting words)
Claiming I haven't read Acts and Corinthians for myself? Very presumptive.

You are limiting the edifying effects of tongues. (wrongly)
Interpretation is to edify the listeners. A tongues speaker is edified whether they understand what is being said or not. The Spirit intercedes for us in accordance with the will of God. That is edifying.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"... the hicks at Asuza street" ??? (more fighting words)
Claiming I haven't read Acts and Corinthians for myself? Very presumptive.

You are limiting the edifying effects of tongues. (wrongly)
Interpretation is to edify the listeners. A tongues speaker is edified whether they understand what is being said or not. The Spirit intercedes for us in accordance with the will of God. That is edifying.
Look at their credentials and then turn the interpretation of scripture over to them. And then follow what they say while dividing yourself off from the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Repeating a false assertion over and over does not make it true. All you are doing is repeating your assumptions/presuppositions.
Acts of the Apostles 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Paul as already equated speaking in tongues with this verse from Joel. This could well be referring to a young child speaking in tongues because "sons and daughters" are distinguished from "young men." If God can make a donkey talk, I'm sure He can cause a young child to speak in tongues.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Repeating a false assertion over and over does not make it true. All you are doing is repeating your assumptions/presuppositions.
Acts of the Apostles 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Paul as already equated speaking in tongues with this verse from Joel. This could well be referring to a young child speaking in tongues because "sons and daughters" are distinguished from "young men." If God can make a donkey talk, I'm sure He can cause a young child to speak in tongues.
If you honestly consider the passages I've posted, and shelve your sentiments, you will see the truth in the matter.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you honestly consider the passages I've posted, and shelve your sentiments, you will see the truth in the matter.
Back at you. If you honestly consider the passages I've posted, my comments and shelve your assumptions/presuppositions, you will see the truth in the matter.

Upvote 0

BCsenior

Still an evangelist
Aug 31, 2017
British Columbia
✟72,426.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
All of this tongues stuff ...
in all of these recent threads ...
is so much incredible nonsense ...
that it drives knowledgeable BACs ...
to many buckets and buckets of tears!

If today's BACs had not been so incredibly
deceived by the churches over the many years
(via Satan's deceptions) ...
they would understand spiritual Truth
about many things, such as:

None of God's gifts to His church have ceased!
The baptism with the Holy Spirit has not ceased.
The 9 spiritual power gifts have not ceased.
The 5-fold ministry offices have not ceased.

But, when that which is perfect (Jesus) has come back,
none of these will be needed any more!

However, let's focus on today's most important fact ...

Many BACs have been deceived into believing in
false doctrines from the pits of hell, such as:
eternal security (OSAS) and hyper-grace!

These are the false doctrines which are (and will be)
sending many BACs (including many pastors) to hell.

3 confirming references:
the NT, today's prophets, BACs who been shown hell

Me, I'm just the messenger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back at you. If you honestly consider the passages I've posted, my comments and shelve your assumptions/presuppositions, you will see the truth in the matter.
You are misinterpreting your passages. You need to read them for yourself without placing the Pentecostal frame work over the bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are misinterpreting your passages. You need to read them for yourself without placing the Pentecostal frame work over the bible.
Ooops. You just blew it. I am not a pentecostal although I once had dinner ca. '87 with Paul Yong Gi Cho in his hotel room in Louisville KY when he was conducting a joint revival with a Baptist church in Evansville IN and a Full Gospel church in Louisville KY . I'm a member of the largest protestant denomination in the U.S.
Since I read the Bible in 4 different languages perhaps you would deign to explain to me how I am "misinterpreting" anything?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ooops. You just blew it. I am not a pentecostal although I once had dinner ca. '87 with Paul Yong Gi Cho in his hotel room in Louisville KY when he was conducting a joint revival with a Baptist church in Evansville IN and a Full Gospel church in Louisville KY . I'm a member of the largest protestant denomination in the U.S.
Since I read the Bible in 4 different languages perhaps you would deign to explain to me how I am "misinterpreting" anything?
The Jews knew Hebrew better than any but did not know what scripture said.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Jews knew Hebrew better than any but did not know what scripture said.
Nonsense, nice evasive answer which does not address my post in any way. The Jews knew their Hebrew scriptures better than most Christians know the Greek NT. Nothing happened between Jesus and the Jewish leaders which was not prophesied 100s of years before, after all were not all of the earliest Christians, Jews?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense, nice evasive answer which does not address my post in any way. The Jews knew their Hebrew scriptures better than most Christians know the Greek NT. Nothing happened between Jesus and the Jewish leaders which was not prophesied 100s of years before, after all were not all of the earliest Christians, Jews?
Why did they kill Christ and hate him more than anyone else today?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why did they kill Christ and hate him more than anyone else today?
You do have an Old Testament and you can read and understand it can't you?
1 person fulfilling 8 prophecies: 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000 1 person fulfilling 48 prophecies: 1 chance in 10 to the 157th power 1 person fulfilling 300+ prophecies: Only Jesus!
Biblical Prophecies Fulfilled by Jesus
JPS Isaiah 53:3-11
(3) He was despised, and forsaken of men, a man of pains, and acquainted with disease, and as one from whom men hide their face: he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
(4) Surely our diseases he did bear, and our pains he carried; whereas we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
(5) But he was wounded because of our transgressions, he was crushed because of our iniquities: the chastisement of our welfare was upon him, and with his stripes we were healed.
(6) All we like sheep did go astray, we turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath made to light on him the iniquity of us all.
(7) He was oppressed, though he humbled himself and opened not his mouth; as a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and as a sheep that before her shearers is dumb; yea, he opened not his mouth.
(8) By oppression and judgment he was taken away, and with his generation who did reason? for he was cut off out of the land of the living, for the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was due.
(9) And they made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich his tomb; although he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.'
(10) Yet it pleased the LORD to crush him by disease; to see if his soul would offer itself in restitution, that he might see his seed, prolong his days, and that the purpose of the LORD might prosper by his hand:
(11) Of the travail of his soul he shall see to the full, even My servant, who by his knowledge did justify the Righteous One to the many, and their iniquities he did bear.
The Jews in ancient times considered this passage to be Messianic.
John Gill Commentary on the Whole Bible
The ancient Jews understood this of the Messiah; in one place they say (o),
"chastisements are divided into three parts, one to David and the fathers, one to our generation, and one to the King Messiah; as it is written, "he was wounded for our transgressions; and bruised for our iniquities":''
and in another place (p),
"at that time they shall declare to the Messiah the troubles of Israel in captivity, and the wicked which are among them, that do not mind to know the Lord; he shall lift up his voice, and weep over the wicked among them; as it is said, "he was wounded for our transgressions", &c.''
and with his stripes we are healed; or "by his stripe" (q), or "bruise": properly the black and blue mark of it, so called from the gathering and settling of the blood where the blow is given.
(o) Mechilta apud Yalkut, par. 2. fol 90. 1.
(p) Zohar in Exod. fol. 85. 2. See also Midrash Ruth, fol. 33. 2. and Zohar in Deut. fol. 117. 3. and R. Moses Hadarsan apud Galatia de Arcan. Cath. Ver. I. 8. c. 15 p. 586. and in I. 6. c. 2. p. 436.

Upvote 0