Southern Baptists Elect a New President, Ed Litton, Who Is Seen As a Bridge Builder

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So he's being heretical by saying "parts" instead of "persons". Wow that's picky. You must have quite the semantics police force in your church group.
Not at all.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ed Litton, embraced a role as the man best equipped to build bridges and promote unity.

The SBC has been having issues in loads of areas, and also caused plenty of drama of doctrine.

Can he build bridges etc.? Good luck to him, but I will believe it when I see it.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I get that. But Hes also 3, as you noted already.
Well, I’m not going to get into a theological discussion with an unbeliever, mainly since that’s not what the thread is about. My point was to show why he was a poor choice as president.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, I’m not going to get into a theological discussion with an unbeliever, mainly since that’s not what the thread is about. My point was to show why he was a poor choice as president.
You have not done anything to promote discussion with believers using two- and three-word sentences. But like I said, that's not a problem. If you believe he is not a good choice because he is not an ultra right-winger, that's cool. Thankfully the SBC chose to not go in that direction. Peace. :wave:

• Haha
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think what we've learned here is that language is never gong to summarize a mystery properly. So accusations of heresy based on semantic hairsplitting of sound bites are suspect Id think.

But, as you say, not my fight.

• Winner
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So he's being heretical by saying "parts" instead of "persons". Wow that's picky. You must have quite the semantics police force in your church group.

It avoids confusion, eliminates nuance, and is accurate. There is nothing wrong with using clear language, and when referring to God and theological concepts, we should be "picky" IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You have not done anything to promote discussion with believers using two- and three-word sentences. But like I said, that's not a problem. If you believe he is not a good choice because he is not an ultra right-winger, that's cool. Thankfully the SBC chose to not go in that direction. Peace. :wave:
Yeah, don’t want to let orthodoxy get in the way.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I would agree. For someone being considered to become president of any respectable Trinitarian Christian denomination, who presumably has at least a MDiv, saying co-equal parts of God (which in there lies the problem) is sloppy at best and heretical at worst. Now coming from a lay person I could understand but not the person in charge of straightening out the already on going mess.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It avoids confusion, eliminates nuance, and is accurate. There is nothing wrong with using clear language, and when referring to God and theological concepts, we should be "picky" IMO.
This sounds like thinking youll have better success nailing jello to a wall by using sharper nails.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This was from his church’s website. It’s since been removed without comment.

View attachment 300820

That’s heretical, by the way.

When did Southern Baptists start adhering to creeds and orthodoxy outside the witness of scripture? SB's don't write creeds, but confessions of faith, which in turn are not authoritative. If a particular congregation wants to use "co-equal parts" there is no creed to which one can appeal and call it outside the pale of orthodoxy.

That we do not regard them as complete statements of our faith, having any quality of finality or infallibility. As in the past so in the future, Baptists should hold themselves free to revise their statements of faith as may seem to them wise and expedient at any time.

An Explanation of Baptist Confessions of Faith

That's a pretty free-wheeling approach to how one affirms their faith. I think you're trying to hold that particular church to a standard that doesn't actually exist, for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single

Fine, I'm just shocked at the sudden jump to heresy.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This sounds like thinking youll have better success nailing jello to a wall by using sharper nails.

Just freeze it and drive the nail in slowly.

• Haha
Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0